Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_to_sc

Stressing About Cabinet Color

new_to_sc
12 years ago

Saturday we are finalizing our cabinets which includes the color. We're going with Shiloh cabinets and I know that my perimeter will be the soft white with no glaze. It's the island I'm stressing about. I've looked at thousands of pictures and I know I want to do a dark island. I've narrowed my choices down to sable maple or expresso maple. The first is a warm dark brown and the other a rich deep almost black color.

I don't know how I'm going to decide. One minute I think I want one color...the next minute the other. I guess that means I'd be happy with either??? Any thoughts, advice or suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

IMHO, the espresso wood trend is too....well, trendy. Not knowing what the maple looks like, I'd go that route. A warm, dark maple sounds yummy. More inviting, friendly, and warm. Could you post a pic of the finishes? What are your floors? Wood? Tile?

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Do you know what your counters will be? This could help sway you (and us) to one over the other.

• editionk
    12 years ago

I just made the same decision. We have white perimiter with grey counters and the island will be carbon (black) stained oak with black walnut (wood) counters.

In my experience I couldn't finalize my island color till I also knew my counterops and flooring.

I was originally going with a white island but a change to a walnut island top made me feel all white cabs was too stark. So I started looking at brown, expresso and black islands. Then my concern was how similar in color the floor, wood top and island cabs were -- no differenentiation. That led to the carbon island.

I know you've looked at 1000's of pics, but do you know the site h o u z z . com (remove spaces)?

Do a search there for "black island" in quotes or "espresso/expresso" island and look through the pictures. There's some great inspiration there!

• new_to_sc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for your thoughts.

I think you guys are right that perhaps I need to pick the granite out before finalizing the island. We're going granite shopping tomorrow so hopefully we can find something we love.

I have looked at Houzz for hours and hours. Between this site and that, I'm kitchen obsessed!

Once we get closer to finalizing our selections, I'll post some soon.

• ksarah
    12 years ago

Dolode,

I have Shiloh polar white cabinets with the sand through finish and expresso sand through island. They are beautiful cabinets and I love them. My hardwood floor is hand scrapped with a dark stain. I am in the process of picking out countertops. I have it narrowed down to Vermont Danby Marble and a soft veined granite which I believe is called Brasilia Bordeaux (notes and paperwork not with me) I will be doing the same countertop on the perimeter cabinets and the island. I have lost sleep over these countertops. I need to make a decision. You will love your cabinets and your dark island. Either color will look beautiful!

• total_remodel
    12 years ago

I am placing my Shiloh order in the next two weeks and still back and forth between Sable and Espresso finish myself. Also keep letting Brown painted sneak back in as well.

kasarah....would you share some pics of your kitchen? Would love to see the espresso in a real kitchen

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I think you should choose your counters before placing your order. You will want to make sure the granite color looks good with the white color you selected and it should help you decide which of the browns is more tied in to the white. I just did the same combo- I went with a maple on the island. I think espresso would have been too dark for me with my wood floors and open floor plan.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Take a deep breath and tell yourself it is going to be
    beautiful! Already everything you describe is wonderful.

Whatever you go with is going to be striking. If you can,
    take a door with you when you go granite shopping. It is
    amazing when you can see your cabinet with a granite.
    This helps to choose.
    Imagine what colors you wish to evoke. Browns, blacks,
    warm browns, cool browns, cool creams, ivorys or warm
    beiges....

Ellendi and Edit have excellent points. What color
    floors and other elements? Keep this in mind. What
    colors are the other rooms that may connect to the kitchen.
    What colors do you love?

It is so scary the early stages and the choices before you,
    don't beat yourself up. This is normal. You are not alone.
    Keep posting ideas and even a few photos of the granites
    you fall in love with.

Looking forward to your kitchen coming together.
    ~boxerpups

• pps7
    12 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong. My bathroom vanities are espresso and I considered the sable for my dining room but went with acorn instead. For those that want pics:

sable is on the left:

espresso:

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

WOW,
    That is beautiful. I love the Espresso!!!!

• pps7
    12 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong. My bathroom vanities are espresso and I considered the sable for my dining room but went with acorn instead. For those that want pics:

sable is on the left:

espresso:

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I love the espresso vanity cabinet with the light counter and light floors. It is stunning! PPS7, What white is on your wall and mirror trim? I love the faucet and wall sconces! Your room is truly beautiful!

• pps7
    12 years ago

Thank you Lynn!

The white on the wall is BM simply white. The white cabinet door sample between the acorn and sable is the Shiloh polar white.

I think if you choose a cream/brown countertop then I'd go with the sable. If you choose a white marble or solid surface, then the espresso does look quite nice.

Total remodel, I would recommend against painted brown. Painted cabinets are an uncharge and unfortunately more maintenance.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

pps7, I have here a painted board of the BM Simply White and it was looking so white but the white on your wall is so creamy without being yellow that I love it. Maybe I should rethink BM Simply White. When I was in the cabinet store, the Polar finish looked darker than BM Cloud White and BM Simply White and was just such a nice shade of white and went so well with my tiles. Am I correct?

Now I would love to have one of my vanities in my bathroom be that rich espresso color. You have very good taste and an eye in decorating.

• celineike
    12 years ago

ohh, i love that espresso! love the visual drama it creates next to white. but that's what im always drawn to.
    my kitchen is BM simply white w espresso & grey accents ;o)

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Celineike, Thanks for reminding me that your kitchen is BM Simply White that I loved! Let me go look at it again since maybe it is a nice white I would like to use. I really love it with the espresso cabinets so much!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Celineike, I just took another look at your beautiful cabinet and you listed that you used BM Cloud White which I have a painted board here and it is so close to BM Simply White but has a touch more yellow and gray in it. They are both such nice whites and I guess the choice depends on what is in your room.