Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbpdx

white subway grout recommendation?

rbpdx
9 years ago

Almost done! Bright white or cabinet color for grout?

Comments (15)

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops. Here is the picture

• amykath
    9 years ago

Do you want it to be a white that sort of matches your tile? If so, I would go with a shade or two darker than the color of the tile. That way you can still see the pattern. Otherwise maybe a light grey brown color?

• eveburtness
    9 years ago

What about some shade of light brown, like your counters? It's a different look, but would definitely fit. Google subway tile with dark grout.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Whatever color is closest to the tile. I like it to fade into the background. Too dark and the pattern is too busy.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Hmmm... cream cabinets, white tile... If you try to match the cream of the cabs your grout is just going to look yellowed and dirty off the bat. I'd either use white, or try to match the wall color and use grey/taupe like Polyblend's Oyster Grey. Brown would introduce a lot of contrast - I wouldn't go that route.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, grey brown it is.
    Still picking between:
    165 Delorean Gray
    115 Platinum
    127 ANTIQUE LINEN
    #386 OYSTER GRAY

:s I probably will flip a coin on this.

Here is a link that might be useful: grout color by custom building

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

A little trick my tile guy taught me - buy a bag of each, prick a tiny little hole in the corner and dump a pile of it on the counter next to your tile. That way you can see what it'll look like once it dries, and under your kitchen lights and with your tile and backsplash.

Then you can tape up and return whichever bags you decided against.

Good luck!

• jgopp
    9 years ago

I agree with HomeChef. I think only go darker if you wanna make a really bold statement. Personally I used a shade on my subway very close to the tile itself, I have white cabinets similar to yours.

There is my white subway backsplash, hope that helps for some inspiration.

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

I'd go with a white

• amykath
    9 years ago

Do you like the way the tiles look now? If so, you will definitely want to go with a slightly tannish color.

I would try to get several of your tile and try out samples of the colors you like. I like alabaster and oyster gray personally.

• NWRain-Gal
    9 years ago

Our subway tile is Daltile Arctic White Matte. We wanted a slight contrast between grout and tile. We chose between Fusion Alabaster and Antique White. We tried a sample board with each grout color and tile and decided on the Alabaster. It picked up on a taupe color in our quartz countertop (PentalQuartz Tobacco).

The Antique White was too yellowy-pinky for our taste. We did not want to go stark white either. We also toyed with the idea of going a grey taupe, but decided we didn't want to have a very busy looking backspash. (lots of lines)

We also wanted to keep it classic and timeless looking in keeping with our vintage home. Our cabinets are an off white similar to SW Alabaster, and our appliances are white as well. Our floor is a medium brown honey oak.

It all works very well together.

The picture is from right after they grouted the tile. Try the sample board and prop it up under your cabinets. This really helped us decide which one to choose.

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

In terms of type of grout, we used a urethane grout (white grout on gray tile). It never needs to be sealed and is, from what I understand more impervious to stains. This was important to us since our grout was white. The main complaint I've read is that it takes 7 days to cure, but the kind we got has a new 3-day cure for basic use such as with a back splash. Worth consideration. FYI, I like the look of a contrasting grayish grout with white tile.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK we decided doleran gray #165

• hhoman42
    7 years ago

I know this was a while ago, but do you remember what size grout lines you used? I am doing white subway and deciding on Oyster Gray grout I think... but trying to decide between 1/8" grout and 1/16" grout lines.