Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snookers1999

You'll probably think this is a strange question

snookers1999
9 years ago

Simple question, If you have a single sink with an offset drain to the left or right, do you like to have the dishwasher on the same side as the drain?

I'm coming from a double bowl sink, so I'm use to washing my dishes directly over the drain that is right next to the dishwasher before I put them in the dishwasher. My new setup with have the drain on the right side (Blanco Diamond super single), but my dishwasher will be on the left sides.

Maybe I'm just crazy (actually I know I am), but I'm wondering if this is something that will drive me nuts, or will I just get used to it and never think about it again?

Comments (8)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I dunno as I don't have a single sink with offset drain. Sorry.

However, I'm stuck on the fact that you wash your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. If you need to do that, you might want to consider a new DW. About the only thing I need to wipe/rinse out before putting in the DW is oatmeal because it can harden like glue. But I don't even do that if the DW is almost full so I'll be doing a load soon.

• practigal
    9 years ago

The purpose of having the drain and all of the dishwasher plumbing on one side of the undersink cabinet is that it frees up the other half of the under sink cabinet to use for another purpose... like for a pullout trashcan for instance. If you really need the space in your kitchen then half a cabinet is an incredible find. If you have enough space already then it doesn't really matter.

• User
    9 years ago

DW location has zero to to with how the drain is configured and everything to do with proper zoning. You don't want it on theprep zone side of the sink. Yo want it anchoring the cleanup zone.

• fouramblues
    9 years ago

My drain is on the right, DW on the left, and it's never been a problem for me. I only scrape dishes before loading, but I don't think the arrangement would be a problem if I rinsed as well.

Aside: I like the offset drain because I can pile tons of stuff in the sink and still easily access the drain. I'm not always the clean-as-you-go sort. (The more usable space under the sink is nice too, but not the only reason for an offset drain.)

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

I have an offset sink so that I can fit a trash pullout on the left side under the sink like Practigal mentioned. I didn't want the trash and DW to be next to each other, so trash pullout on the left half under the sink then drain on the right. I plan to put DW detergent under the drain side. DW is to the right of the sink.

So for me it's more about the location of things in the cabinets in relation to the DW, not about flow of dishes from sink to DW. I want to be able to stand in front of the sink, between the garbage and the DW.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Agree--it only matters for how you want to use the space under the sink.

I guess you can practice rinsing on the other side of your current sink and see if it bugs you. (But all the dishwasher people and water conservation people tell you prewashing is a thing of the past and stop it already! Unless you run your DW very infrequently and dishes sit a long time between runs.)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Does your DW have a rinse and hold feature? We're empty-nester and busy and don't eat all our meals at home so if my DW is partially full and I know it may be a couple of days before it gets full, I just push rinse and hold. My DW is a good 20 years old and has this feature so I'm guessing most of them do. It uses less water than hand-rinsing everything and is quicker/easier.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Buy a DW with a half load wash feature. It will save your water. And your nose!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz