Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thickness of quartz countertop?

Posted by mls99 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 07 at 23:03

What should I be thinking about (apart from the look) in considering the thickness of the kitchen countertop? I'm looking at Caesarstone, and it comes in 1/2", 3/4", or 1-1/4". Advice? Experience? I think I prefer the skinnier look. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thickness of quartz countertop?

I know you want a very sleek modern look, but I would be concerned that a 1/2" thickness with an undermount sink would look pretty puny at that point. (The pictures I sent you show mine with the 3/4" material and undermount sinks, but the CaesarStone is laminated to a double thickness at the front counter edges). Strength during handling/installation of a large piece of a 1/2" thick slab would be another concern for me. The higher the product number of the color/pattern you choose (9XXX vs a 2XXX) the more quartz particles it contains.

Do look at the Caesarstone site that covers USA (then find your zip code) to be sure colors and thicknesses are available from the yard that supplies to your zip code. Not everything is offered everywhere.

o
Oops!

Oops! On my above post, I should have said, "The higher the product number of the color/pattern you choose (9XXX vs a 2XXX), the more LARGER quartz particles it contains (AS OPPOSED TO QUARTZ GRAINS) AND THE TOUGHER/HARDER THE SURFACE IS."

o

Are larger quartz particles more likely to pop out and leave pits? Is CaesarStone the only one who does that? I don't remember hearing anything about that looking into Silestone.

Sue

o

Actually based on a DH DIY test on #3XXX and #9XXX samples with a...er, blowtorch to see how much heat the product could withstand. (NOT a pretty picture on either sample after 20 seconds with the torch aimed within 1-inch of the surface, but it did prove you can put a lot of heat to CaesarStone before any melting of binders occurs. By the way, the same test on granite cracked it all over the place.)

We have both a #9XXX (kitchen) and #3XXX (baths) product installed since June and nothing is popped, pitted or otherwise marred on either.

o

I prefer the 3/4"
below a picture with 3/4" zodiaq.

and undercounter sink detail

o

Nice, nice! A very sleek looking kitchen, Giacomo.

o

Thanks for the advice and pictures. Very helpful. I'm going for Blizzard Caesarstone (2141 - eek after teedup1's comments, until I realized the alternative for me was laminate). One section is 13.5 feet long with a cooktop at one end and 30" open at the other end for munching/kid homework etc. The other section (galley kitchen) is 7 feet long between a wall oven cabinet and a fridge, with a dishwasher, drop in SS sink with draining board, and wine fridge. Frameless IKEA cabinets are glossy blue; countertop and walls will be white. Having seen all your photos, I like both the 3/4" and the thicker one. So I shall see what the price difference is.

Do you need plywood under these countertops? I heard you need that for granite.

o

my zodiaq bathroom vanity top is only 2 cm and, after a year and a half it still looks funny to me. i think i'd like it even less on a larger surface like a kitchen counter.

o

I wanted to have plywood under all of my stone - it sits on top of the cabinet boxes. (Whether I needed it or not was not something I entertained since the existing counter height needed to be a bit taller after removing the prior old-fashioned thick concrete-'n-screen motar bed and ceramic tile.)

If you lay plywood on top, you WILL have to have something (laminate CeasarStone to front edges or a cabinet stock filler strip)to cover the exposed plywood edge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here