Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Selecting Products for Kitchen... Need Info. Please. Curious ...

For the last year, we contemplated purchasing a new home and like that, about three weeks ago made the decision to buy. It has been a whirlwind, the builder works on a tight deadline, and I just cannot make up my mind... Off white cabinets....walnut.... The deep dark espresso like finish. Simple granite, granite with a lot of interest ( I prefer quartz, my husband finds it to be too dull and since I placed it in my last home ( when we met he saw it and has admitted to being underwhelmed by it) I have conceded to granite.., but simple or full of character???

I do not want a kitchen that is outdated before we put it in but, although it is unlikely that we will relocate again, I still wouldn't bet against a move in our future.

What is trending???

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 22:57

Comments (5)

• Jillius
    9 years ago

The most timeless kitchens I've seen haven't ever been trending. If it was never trendy, then it can't go out of style either.

Just pick things you like a lot. I suggest looking on houzz and pinterest and find at least five kitchens you love. Some common elements should appear, and then you put those for your kitchen.

And if you can, make sure the kitchen being built has some nice architectural features -- high ceilings, angles that aren't 90 degrees, big windows in interesting shapes, doorways in interesting shapes, whatever. That is stuff that won't go out of style even if your cabinets do.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Hiring a local (good) designer can help you to make the home yours without succumbing to to many trends.

• plumberry
    9 years ago

Our house helped us make our choices because not everything worked in the space. We got opinions (visions) from several designers and looked at 1000's of photos before we finally decided. We have no regrets.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

When talking granite I tend to like the kind that makes you surprised something that looks the way it does could have possibly been removed from the earth in a quarry. But with something like that I'd trust someone smarter than myself to help try and pull the overall look off - how it fits into the kitchen as a whole.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

sometimes knowing what u don't want helps to start the process..."i don't want white/painted cabinets, i don't want marble/laminate tops etc...this will help u narrow your choices....

also, try to keep the kitchen with the style of your home, eg: modern, craftsmen etc...that helps with the "trendiness"...

do u want a "warm" kitchen or are u drawn to "cooler" tones...??

go to kitchen displays and see what you are drawn to...

look on houzz, pinterest, go to library or buy kitchen magazines to get ideas....

pick the color/style of your cabs and then look for your counters or pick your counters and then your cabs....you have to start somewhere with one element and then go from there....

if you are definitely getting granite, you can pick that first and then style your cabinets around it...

many ways to get started, you just have to pick one and run with it...
    Best of Luck !!!!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH