Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you use a utility sink in a kitchen?

Posted by jimon40 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 22:54

We are doing a remodel of an 1800's farmhouse and like the "farmhouse" sinks with a wall-mounted faucet. The Kohler K-12700 is a 30" sink that is perfect and is priced at $1500+. The Kohler 30" Scrub-up sink appears identical (except for a small drain) and is priced at $566. Why the huge difference in price?

Since we have no desire to have a garbage disposal requiring the 4" drain, can we just use the Scrub-up sink?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you use a utility sink in a kitchen?

Kitchen sinks are required to have a 1 1/2" drain. They handle a lot of water. Secondary sinks, like bar sinks and utility sinks can have an 1 1/4" drain. What you found won't work. If you can find a utility sink with the right size drain, you can certainly use it. Most are pretty hideous though.

o

Interesting...when my washing machine empties into the utility tub, that is certainly a lot of water. I wonder why the differenence in drain size?

o

My washing machine also drains into a laundry sink with a small drain... I'd think your kitchen needs can handle it, if you don't need a disposal

o

If it helps with the sink (K-12700), OverstockDeals is having an awesome pre-black Friday sale. That sink would be $1,079. Everything at OverstockDeals is 20% off and free shipping. I posted about their sale on the Building Forum the other day.

And if you go in through MrRebates, you get 5% back later. http://www.mrrebates.com/

I'm not affiliated with either site, but thought 20% off sale was a great deal! I ordered the last of our plumbing supplies on it and they shipped the next day.

Here is a link that might be useful: OverstockDeals

o

those are beautiful sinks! We used a cheap utility sink in the kitchen during our lengthy remodel and had a washer draining into it. it was deeper than a regular kitchen sink and was hard on the back bending over. I can't tell if the Kohler is deeper since they list overall depth rather than just the sink part.

o

Thank you all for the feedback. We are still researching this issue. If we can find a drain that we can use a stopper with I think it's a "go".

We have no local codes that say we can't go this route. After all, the house didn't even have a kitchen originally..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here