Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimon40

Can you use a utility sink in a kitchen?

jimon40
10 years ago

We are doing a remodel of an 1800's farmhouse and like the "farmhouse" sinks with a wall-mounted faucet. The Kohler K-12700 is a 30" sink that is perfect and is priced at $1500+. The Kohler 30" Scrub-up sink appears identical (except for a small drain) and is priced at $566. Why the huge difference in price?

Since we have no desire to have a garbage disposal requiring the 4" drain, can we just use the Scrub-up sink?

Comments (12)

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Kitchen sinks are required to have a 1 1/2" drain. They handle a lot of water. Secondary sinks, like bar sinks and utility sinks can have an 1 1/4" drain. What you found won't work. If you can find a utility sink with the right size drain, you can certainly use it. Most are pretty hideous though.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Interesting...when my washing machine empties into the utility tub, that is certainly a lot of water. I wonder why the differenence in drain size?

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

My washing machine also drains into a laundry sink with a small drain... I'd think your kitchen needs can handle it, if you don't need a disposal

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

If it helps with the sink (K-12700), OverstockDeals is having an awesome pre-black Friday sale. That sink would be $1,079. Everything at OverstockDeals is 20% off and free shipping. I posted about their sale on the Building Forum the other day.

And if you go in through MrRebates, you get 5% back later. http://www.mrrebates.com/

I'm not affiliated with either site, but thought 20% off sale was a great deal! I ordered the last of our plumbing supplies on it and they shipped the next day.

Here is a link that might be useful: OverstockDeals

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

those are beautiful sinks! We used a cheap utility sink in the kitchen during our lengthy remodel and had a washer draining into it. it was deeper than a regular kitchen sink and was hard on the back bending over. I can't tell if the Kohler is deeper since they list overall depth rather than just the sink part.

• jimon40
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback. We are still researching this issue. If we can find a drain that we can use a stopper with I think it's a "go".

We have no local codes that say we can't go this route. After all, the house didn't even have a kitchen originally..

• Nik Brown
    7 years ago

What did you decide on? I'm considering the exact same idea for our kitchen remodel.

• heatheron40
    7 years ago

We did it! We have had the sink in for about 9 months. I have had absolutely no issues- not too deep either. The inspector had no problems either. Drains beautifully. Remember can't have a disposal though because of the drain size.

Search me and you'll see a photo- not on my computer now to get a picture-sorry!

• Nik Brown
    7 years ago

Thanks for the update Heatheron40! Glad to hear it's working out for you! I'm excited about this idea- we have a beautiful old double laundry sink from the 40s I salvaged from my childhood home after my dad passed. So it would be so special to repurpose it! I don't care for garbage disposals anyway. A plumber I know swears it's bad for pipes. It really helps hearing from someone who has actually done this already! Good to know it's not too rough on the back also since we're a tall family. I couldn't find your photos but I really appreciate your update!

• Martie Furlong
    2 years ago

Looks great thanks for the update i am considering this for long reno do you have any further tips? thanks

• heatheron40
    2 years ago

Just saw this Marty :^O
    We have had the sink in a long time now and still no issues. We do not have a disposal since we are on a septic system. I do not believe the scrub up sink is as cheap any longer :^(. Last time I looked they were the same price. I do enjoy the wall mount faucet, doesn't collect grunge and there is a need for a bump out for plumbing. More recent photo, only one on my phone.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area