Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Sharb-inspired Pantry Done!

Buehl
15 years ago

We finally finished our DIY Sharb-inspired pantry! (Sorry folks, no chandelier!)

Here are the pics....

Come visit my pantry...

The door opens...

The left side...

The left side has 15" deep shelves and holds, top-to-bottom, cereals, snacks & drinks, gluten-free foods, cookbooks & appliance manuals, two bins--one for yams & one for white potatoes, and toaster oven & coffeemaker on the floor. (Small appliance shelf now holds cookbooks. Toaster Oven & coffee maker are now on the floor.)

The right side...

The right side has 12" deep shelves and holds, top-to-bottom, paper towels, baking/cooking supplies (next 3 shelves), small appliances, more baking supplies. The floor has a stool & paper plates & plastic cups. My extra oven racks are leaning against the far right wall. Eventually, we will be mounting our broom & dustpan there. (Don't know where the extra oven racks will go.)

Comments (45)

• pcjs
    15 years ago

Very very nice!

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Looks great! Super organized, but not in a bizarre showroom 12 Pelligrinos and 8 Tabasco Sauces kind of way.

OT Don't you love Pamela's Baking Mix? I had almost given up the thought of ever eating fluffy pancakes again.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Very nice! I love the idea of putting potatoes in the dish pans. My pantry cabinets are getting put in on Saturday. I can't wait to start organizing it!! I think I'll use one of the shelves for cookbooks. I also love your door. Where did you get it?

• busybme
    15 years ago

Really nice, buehl! Since I don't know who (or what?) Sharb is, I will just call it my buehl inpried pantry! : )

I also love the idea of using the colorful plastic tubs for potatoes, etc. If there is a bad potato in the bin, it won't ooze all over when it gets icky. And selecting sizes would be so much easier than out of the bag, as well.

Good job!

Sandy

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

WOW! What a great use of space! We are thinking of converting a coat closet to a pantry and your pantry has given me some great ideas. Thank for posting.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Great pantry! I used to have those tupperware canisters in orange!!! Showing our age hahahahahaha!

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

VERY nice! Love the door and the beadboard. My Mom had those Tupperware containers in harvest gold!

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Cheri127! They may be old but I've had those canisters since my first kitchen (and I'm not going to admit when that was!)

Thanks everyone! It took us awhile...we did it DIY and we're not only rather inexperienced, but we both work full time & have so many kids' activities!

The pantry door is from Feather River Doors, their interior door "Theme Collection" (http://www.featherriverdoors.com/int-collections.html). I special ordered it from Home Depot.

BusyBMe...I was thinking of getting those baskets you see on sites like Rev-A-Shelf, but I just couldn't see spending so much $$$ on them. As I was doing dishes one day in our no-kitchen stage using the basins in the upstairs bathtub, I realized they would be perfect for potatoes! And, like you pointed out, they'd be easy to clean!

Sharb is a GWer who has this wonderful kitchen & pantry, Her pantry even has a chandelier! She's in the FKB.

Laxsupermom...yes, not just pancakes but waffles and decent brownies as well! I use a modification of Pamela's brownie mix and they taste almost as good as my locally famous gluten-laden brownies! I live out in the "sticks" and it's tough to get gluten-free foods nearby, but at least a couple of the local grocery stores carry a few Pamela & Gluten-free Pantry products.

Painting is next on the agenda, then installing the trash foot pedal and the soft-close dampers on the doors.

• friedajune
    15 years ago

That's lovely. I had thought about a Sharb-esque pantry door for my pantry, but my pantry is always looking jumbled, and even with a frosted door, I was concerned people could see just how messy my pantry is. So I have a solid door.

For those of you unfamiliar with Sharb's kitchen, I have linked it below. I don't think she has posted here in a while, but I remember when she first posted her pics, it generated tons of Kitchens Forum buzz. Oh, that backsplash! Those chandeliers! The gargantuan island! The burgundy range and hood! The custom inset cabinetry! And of course, the pantry with its own chandelier (natch).

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharb's Kitchen

• juliet3
    15 years ago

Ohmigosh, I love that pantry door! I never thought of a glass door like that, and now, I am thinking of putting one on my pantry, now that I have seen yours. Where did you buy that door? Does it need to be custom made? Is it expensive?

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Juliet3, I bought the door from Home Depot, special ordered. It's from Feather River Doors (Interior --> Theme Collection). Back in January I paid $249 for the 24" door plus $15 for the satin nickel hardware. It's the "PrimeAdvangage" finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feather River Doors

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Love it! Very pretty w/ the beadboard and brackets for the shelves. The left side alone holds more than my current horrible pantry. Congrats and great job!

Chris

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Thats bigger than our hospital room was!!!! i'm moving in tomorrow!!!

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL! It's actually only about 41" along the left wall (15" shelves) and 51" along the wall w/the 12" shelves!

It's really a "step-in" pantry, not a "walk-in" pantry!

It's smaller than our old pantry, but the old pantry had 18" deep shelves in a 3' deep x 6' long area that was always so disorganized. Things were always getting lost in there! The disorganization and "lost" problems I think were due in large part to the deep shelves and wasted space in front. I like this much better! The smaller size will force me to only store reasonable amounts of stuff in it and put the rest in the larger overflow pantry in the basement. I don't think there's enough room for anything to get lost in this one!

BTW...Originally, the current cookbook shelf was supposed to be for small appliances as well, but when I started putting things away in the kitchen I realized I had completely forgotten about providing a place for cookbooks!!!

• lyno
    15 years ago

I love the pantry and that great door!

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

My pantry will be here on Saturday and I can't wait to start organizing it! Your pantry gives me such great ideas. I am so undecided about the door though. Part of me just HAS to have that cool door, but the reasonable part of me keeps reminding me that I planned on putting a message center on the inside of the door so that won't work. I am afraid the reasonable side of me is winning.

• donna214
    15 years ago

Love it! Great beadboard and shelves. I need a pantry lke that to help keep me organized.

• alku05
    15 years ago

Looks great!! I'm jealous- a step-in or corner pantry was the one thing that I wanted but didn't get in my kitchen.

Also glad to see that the pantry worked out so well for you in the end. As I recall, your pantry was a victim of your KD's measuring disability and you had a bit of arm twisting- I mean replanning- to get to still be able to fit it in. It may be smaller than you originally planned, but it looks like a LOT fits in there!

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Yes, Alku05, our pantry was a victim of the measurement issues! We lost 7" on the shorter wall and also lost the Message Center cabinets we had planned against the other end. Now we have a smaller Pantry and a Message Center niche rather than a real Message Center!

Ccombs1...our Message Center niche is recessed into the side wall of our pantry...perhaps you could do something like this? (Hooks for keys will be below the calendar but above the phone.)

Right now we're debating using regular paint inside the niche or chalkboard paint,. I don't suppose there's "white board" paint????

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I'll look when I get home and see if there isn't some place I can put a message center besides inside the pantry door. I REALLY want that door!! Too late for a niche although that would have been the ideal solution.

• alku05
    15 years ago

Buehl, there's no such thing as white board paint, but you could cut-to-size a white board, or even glass and mount it in the niche. Then you could use white board markers on it.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Buehl,

Alju beat me to the punch- I was going to suggest the same things. However, it also gives you the opportunity to go shopping, or antique hunting for one of those old-fashioned blackboards- I have one with a headless lady (head got knocked off somehow while in storage)- so I'm now looking too.

What a fancy schmanzy pantry- the beadboard is what does it- don't even need a chandelier! :>)

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was afraid of that Alku05! We need to be able to hang the calendar and put in key hooks, so it needs to be something that you can drill holes in/hang something on w/o destroying it. I know there are some flexible, thin white boards out there. I wonder if you can buy a roll of it.....? Chalkboard paint may be cheaper & easier!

Thanks Raehelen...the pantry is one of my splurges...I really don't need all the beadboard & corbels, but I really like it and it makes me smile every time I look at it! Heck, every once in a while I still do a little twirl in the kitchen b/c I'm so happy with it...and I still frequently tell my DH & kids how much I love my kitchen (they just roll their eyes!)

Hmmmm...now I'm thinking that a nice old-fashioned blackboard just may be the way to go...even if I have to find someplace else for the calendar! I'll have to look around and do some more thinking!

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Well, I had to have it. I went to Home Depot yesterday and ordered the same pantry door. I just love it!!

Cindy

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL! I have quite a few things in my kitchen that I first saw and "just had to have" as well! The Pantry itself and the pantry door are actually two of them!

Good luck Cindy!

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Buehl, one of the things I love about your kitchen is that there is plenty of room to do that twirl! Even though my kitchen is on the small side, it does have a nice space for dancing as well. Quite necessary, in my book!

Re: white board material -- after I graduated college 100+ years ago, my new roommate and I bought a large piece of whiteboard material and mounted it on our living room wall. It came unframed and was cut to size. I think we got it at Home Depot (or maybe it was the former Hechinger's...I'm dating myself here!). I can't remember how we hung it on the wall -- I think we just screwed it in, and it didn't look real pretty. Who knows, with enough googling, you might find a clever way to do it.

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

Wow, I'm so jealous. It stores so much, and in an attractive way.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pantry Plans:

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

An organized pantry is such a joy! I'm inspired to go reorganize mine.

I haven't used it, but I've seen flexible "whiteboard" material sold in rolls at online marker board sites. I imagine it goes on like wallpaper.

We opted to use magnetic markerboard in our dropzone (cubbies, coathooks, message center, etc.). It's a silver/aluminum color, hangs on screws in the wall, and I put a row of magnetic hooks (from the Container Store) at the bottom for keys.

A neat idea for a calendar: the week over week magnetic marker panels (online & some office supply stores); the just completed week is wiped clean & repositioned out in the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: Week over week marker panels

• datura-07
    15 years ago

I also have those Tupperware canisters but my set only came with four.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's been so very long ago....but it's possible there was a 5th one that I bought at the time...but I can't say for sure!

[I store regular flour in the biggest, then bread flour, granulated sugar, confectioner's sugar, and, in the smallest, brown sugar. I do have to say, though, that since I was diagnosed w/Celiac Disease that the bread flour is hardly used anymore.]

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just read the thread "The expanding facelift -- estimate". I thought I'd post a picture of the "final" look of the pantry door:

And the Niche recessed into its end:

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's an "expanded" view:

• Buehl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a pic of the slightly reorganized 12" deep shelves:

• Buehl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I fell in love w/your pantry (and the rest of your kitchen & DR, for that matter!) the first time I saw it!

We only have 8' ceilings and my DH is 6'5" so a chandelier was out of the question! (We couldn't even put one in our Foyer for the same reason.)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

bump

thought that we should reread and think about this pantry...thanks especially for the drawings of your plans, Buehl.

• twosit
    13 years ago

I love this pantry.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Updated view:

• lijo130_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I love your pantry and I was wondering where you got the corner vertical support bracket because I am having a problem planning my small space pantry.

• timberframe4us
    12 years ago

For anyone reading this thread late, I'm sure I've seen white board paint lately. I think it was in Lowes, but it could have been Home Depot.

• attofarad
    10 years ago

Buehl,

A few more construction details, if you please:

What type and thickness of shelf material did you use? Happy with the sag, or lack thereof?

How thick are the supports along the wall and along the ends?

Are the 12" shelves joined to the 15" shelves somehow in the corner?

I have about 2" more on the short wall, and 42" more on the long wall. Are you still happy with your mix of shelf spacings and widths after 4 years, or would you suggest any changes?

Thanks,
    Gary

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I love that pantry door also. I saw one on another website a few weeks back and had my contractor order it for my pantry. He wanted it prehung so fortunately the company where he was getting the windows carried it Prehung. I personally don't think this looks country, didn't cross my mind.
    However, our house well not really be a modern look and we'll have a smattering of antiques in the house so either way it well fit in.
    Great looking pantrys! Gives me ideas for mine.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I know it's too late for Gary (Attofarad), but I thought I'd post the requested information in case anyone else is interested:

What type and thickness of shelf material did you use? Happy with the sag, or lack thereof?

==> The shelves are 3/4" thick and are melamine coated shelving purchased at, as I recall, Lowes.

There's no sag at all. That's probably b/c:

• The shelves are all completely supported along the back and the sides with 1.25" thick trip (the shelves sit on top of the trim)
    • The shelves have corbels spaced approximately every 14.5" on the 15" side, but only one the 12" side. The corbels are 6.75" deep and are mounted to 3/4" thick "plates" (I can't think of what they're called right now!)
    • The post in the corner has smaller corbels (1-3/8" deep) to support the 12" deep shelf that is not end at a wall on one end.
    • The 12" deep shelves are attached directly to the corner post.

How thick are the supports along the wall and along the ends?

==> The trim that completely supports the shelves on all sides that meet the wall is 1.25" thick.

Are the 12" shelves joined to the 15" shelves somehow in the corner?

==> I've posted a couple of pictures below. Note that the 15" deep shelves are wall-to-wall while the 12" deep shelves end at the 15" deep shelves.

The shelves are not joined together, but there are small 1-3/8" deep corbels on the corner post that support the 12" shelves where they end and the 12" shelves are attached directly to the post.

So, the 12" deep shelves are supported along the back, on one end, at the corbel on the post, and where they are attached directly to the post.

I have about 2" more on the short wall, and 42" more on the long wall. Are you still happy with your mix of shelf spacings and widths after 4 years, or would you suggest any changes?

==> If I had it to do over, the shelves on the left would only be 12" deep as well. I have found that things can get lost even on 15" deep shelves! The original reason for the 15" deep side was so I could put a second MW in the pantry. However, when I tried to put it there, I discovered I couldn't open the MW door fully and access the inside of the MW at the same time! So, no MW.

I did put cookbooks in it for awhile, but I found I prefer them higher up and closer at hand - so I moved them to the upper cabinet to the left of my cooktop's hood.

Note that at the very top there is one less shelf on the 15" side to allow for taller items - in particular cereal boxes. I also like the extra space on the one shelf (16" tall) for my full-size food processor needed the extra height!

I also still like the fact that the top shelf on the 12" deep side is perfect for storing paper towels, placemats, and seasonal platters that are rarely used. Lately, I've been buying the super sized paper towel rolls and they fit even better than the ones in my older pictures above.

Interestingly, when I replaced my old Tupperware containers for newer ones so I could store Gluten-Free & non-Gluten-Free items better that my spacing worked perfectly for stacking them! So, yes, I would definitely do it over! (BTW..I use blue tops for Gluten-Free items and red for gluten-filled items - red for "danger!") See the picture below.

(Pictures are back! It must have been a Houzz issue.)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

For those still interested in the pantry door I have seen them available at every door specializing store . If they are not in Stock they will order them . I was going to get one for my larger walk in pantry but I have not found the size I need . I may have them frame in the door opening in more so that I can get one . We were going to use 2 doors but I would prefer that frosted glass one. My husband and contractor will not be happy. On my second smaller pantry I found a cute small louvered door with magnetic closure and was able to use one of the 12" drawer pulls for the handle it looks good . My neighbor has the same frosted glass pantry door and I have always liked it.

I had an entire set of those Tupperware canisters they were in the green, yellow , brown , and orange . I still have the orange and brown and the lid to the orange . The other lids eventually cracked in the center where you had to push down on them to seal them . I was using the orange one as a colorful tiny trash bin in the laundry room for the lint and softener sheets . I believe it survived the flood lol. I still have the matching set of tiny shot glasses and mini plates . I had a ton of Tupperware at one time . Slowly it has died . I am replacing all my plastic storage ware with the sterilite ultra lock , they are so much easier for me to use with my hands . Plus they seal water tight which is important .