Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone heard of Clearstone to protect marble - 15 yr warranty

Posted by lexmomof3 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 22:48

It appears to be a new product in the US but has been sold elsewhere in the world. I'm wondering if it's really what it claims to be (15 yr guarantee against staining and etching) and if it's safe. I wonder why it has been sold in other parts of the world for 14 yrs but only now available in the US. I'm having a hard time researching this product because it's so new and the only info that comes up is from the manufactures website. I haven't seen anything on price but did see that it can only be applied by a qualified technician. I'm guessing it pricey.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clearstone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone heard of Clearstone to protect marble - 15 yr warr

From everything I've read about marble, the products that prevent etching make the stone look plasticy and fake. It would have to be an awfully thick coating to prevent etching. I would want to see a decent sized sample of sealed stone in order to see and touch for myself.

o

ask if it's the same product as "hydroshield". I've seen that and it's not at all conspicuous and provides excellent protection. it was about $12-15 per sq. ft. so not cheap.

o

Hi from Clearstone Australia yes it has taken some time to get over to the USA with our product, the research and development has been slow and expansive however it is now here in the USA , and it works, you can have a look at the Australian web site www.innovativecomposites.com.au for more info also have a look at www.marblecarerestoration.com it shows a kitchen top in West Palm Beach FL which was coated in May this year, Clients are very happy with the out come, and now all they need do to keep this looking good is clean it with a damp soft cloth, and furniture polish now and than.

o

I would ask to contact the people in West Palm to see how it affected the texture. I used a sealant that protects against stains but not etches. It has a lifetime warranty. I did two thanksgivings - one for 17 and one for 31 and had no stains - plenty of spills - but no stains. And we served a pomegranite cosmo for the drink.

o

Yes clearstone is a credible coating for calcite based stones such as marble,limestone,travertine etc.
The coating itself can be mechanically polished or honed.
It has a good warranty as well.
I have never been big on coatings as a stone refinisher we always like to attain natural polishes and matte finishes.
We have gotten to know the folks at clearstone and they are very reputable.The picture is a st laurent gold marble tabletop that was coated with clearstone.There are pros and cons to any type of coating. This coating is expensive and not for everyone but It will find a place in the american market.
Stu Rosen

o

I have never had much of a stain problem with my marble counter top--and it is Thassos. It etches like crazy, though. Cranberry glop left overnight after Thanksgiving left a new etch, but no stain. The marble was sealed with 3 coats of Hydrex in early November--first sealant used in 6 years. Cost about $60 in materials.

o

Hi Staining and Acid Etching two total different things, it is hard to Stain Marble, Limestone, etc, it is easy to etch them and that is what we protect against best, we had a Motel try 25 different sealers on their marble coffee tables not one worked, they are now coated with Clearstone.

o

Every stone has its own composition and structure.
Some stones are very porous in nature some arent.
When these type of stones are polished they are more resistant to staining than when they are honed.

o

So has anyone tried this product yet? The only thing holding me back from doing a Calcutta or statuary counter top has been the etching. Hopefully this product does what it claims.

o

Yes clear stone is available on most of stone and marble stores. It makes your stone more shinning and increase its life.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble Restoration

o

You might as well get laminate as coat marble with plastic. It diminishes the depth of the stone and reduces it's tactile appeal. Seriously, the Formica laminate version is about equal to real marble with a plastic coating. And about a dozen times cheaper.

o

^^Yes, that.

o

hollysprings and greenhaven:

Have either of you seen and felt Clearstone in person?

o

No, sir, I have not. That shine would turn me off in a New York minute, but I freely admit to that being a personal preference. If I put in marble I want the patina. To spend the cost of marble and installation then the cost of the sealer on top of that it would be very difficult to justify the expense for a look I would hate.

o

I've seen a piece. Treated 50/50. The marble WAS "duller" in depth, but it wasn't etched like the other half, which was a heck of a lot "duller" than where it started out honed. My fabricator was considering dealing with it but doesn't do enough marble to justify. The location where I live wouldn't support the extra costs it brings to the table either. Maybe somewhere with more money, like NYC or LAX would be able to keep busy applying the stuff, but not here.

And no, I didn't like it. Even compared to the etched marble, I didn't like it. I'd rather have etched real marble than something that looked "just not quite right". IMHO.

For those who can't deal with marble's patina, truly, just don't get marble. If you still want the look, there are plenty of other surfaces that will give you the look without the headaches.

Formica 180FX

Cambria Torquay.

o

I wasn't planning on Clearstone when we purchased our marble tops but I happened upon one of the two or three fabricators in my state at a local tile store.
I had it applied to my small marble laundry room countertop. LWO is correct, the marble appears duller, the veining less vivid. It still looks like marble though, not one of the faux marbles. What I didn't like is that it made my very white marble dingy looking, giving it a slightly gray haze. I'd rather have etching than the discolored look. It may be fine on a different colored marble but I'd advice a large "test piece" as it is expensive to have applied & most likely expensive to have it removed.

o

Live wire, if you know something that looks like marble, I'd so love to hear what it is so I can stop searching already. I've looked at everything I can and not found anything yet. There are no quartz or marbles I've seen that can be so white. I do not want Formica, laminate, etc. If you have another option that's nice and white with subtle movement in it, please let me know. Thanks

o

Hanstone Tranquility

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here