Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

update from me

kateskouros
13 years ago

still creeping along at a snails pace. i think i'm getting over it ...and just dealing. what else can i do? i don't think it's worth whacking out my blood pressure, kwim?

the fridge/freezer wall. i'm loving it. the fridge on the left (closest to range and breakfast room). hidden inside the center doors: open shelving and two large appliance garages for micro, coffee maker, etc... on the right, the freezer.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

the range wall

{{gwi:1510465}}

the prep sink ...i LOVE the faucet!

{{gwi:1585001}}

we should have it finished up in the next couple of weeks. i'll have better pics then, along with the hardware which i am in LOVE with!

Comments (56)

• positano
    13 years ago

OMG!! Amazing, this one is worth waiting for. Love it all.

• angel411
    13 years ago

Just stunning...even in the middle of construction! Cannot wait to see the end result! Hang in there! :)

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

I am envious of all your storage! Wow. Just love the counters, too.

• sixmagnolialane
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen....can't wait to see finished photos!
    I'm still in throws of kitchen remodel going on and on and on. Love your faucet - looks like my Franke Manor House in PN. (I need to figure out how to post photos)
    Many same features, white inset cabs, honed carrera, and polished nickel faucet. My kitchen much smaller though. Hoping someday to post photos. Keep your photos coming!

Oh and is that a Capital or DCS range?

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

Absolutely stupendous. Were it mine, I would never cook in it, just sit around slack-jawed with joy.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Can you show details of the center section of the cabinetry - between the fridge and freezer? Where are the appliance garages, what is inside the doors, etc.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Ditto what John said. I'd love to see inside those appliance garages.

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Wow, so many of my elements come to life. I'm so glad you posted these. I love your fridge/freezer wall as it looks exactly like the plan I have for mine, even the dimensions seem to be the same. AND it seems to be in the same location with openings on both ends. My plan for the center doors is that they fold onto one another and then slide into the opening.

I'm also planning windows to the counter with the counter top material creating the sills, so...love that detail!

The thick marble counters and faucet are gorgeous. And your hardware....sigh....can't wait to see more!!!

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

So pretty, love your marble and also your hood. I am also curious about the part between your fridge and freezer!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Well, hot damn, Kate! You've managed to pry me out of lurker mode with these few shots. Absolutely stunning! And this ain't even the big reveal? Hoo boy! Talk about can't wait. . . . !

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i'm so grateful for all the positive responses; thank you SO much. i know in the end we'll be happy and we're grateful to have this opportunity. it's just that sometimes (at least once or twice a week) i feel like crying. we've had our children -now 7 and 8 years old, cooped up in the temporary storage facility that we call a "house" for the past three years.
    we are crammed in here with literally hundreds of boxes filled with lighting and plumbing and God only knows what else. it's hard for me to keep track of it all! the GC asked for the rest of the plumbing and i'm searching through piles so tall i need a step ladder to reach most of it. this house has four full baths but we only use one, since the other three showers are filled with STUFF. i thought this was a great solution initially but now, not so much.

breezygirl: the kitchen is roughly 22' x 22'. the breakfast room is off to the side and is 18' x 13'. all i told the architect is that i wanted it "big". admittedly, its size proved to be a bit of a challenge in the design stage, but as it comes together and i can move around in the space i'm confident it will function well.

rhome & johnliu: i didn't snap the interior space between the fridge/freezer columns because the details haven't been worked out yet. so far, all we have are shelves. the bifold doors open OUT from the center and fold into "sleeves" housed on the inside of the unit. so when the doors are open there are two stationary walls. i'm planning on storing knives on one side, on a magnetic bar. this area has an additional 10" of depth, so the appliance garages will be recessed into the backsplash. the doors will flip open and the small appliances inside will sit on rolling shelves that can easily be moved forward. i'll try and take a pic later. it's a lot to envision without an image. quite frankly i'm not sure if this is all overkill so we'll see what happens as it progresses. if i'm hating it, i'll go on to Plan B -whatever that is.

sixmagnolialane: i have the capital, with the grill. i LOVE the cover. i didn't know it had one, so was pleasantly surprised. i was a little afraid of having to keep it spotless and new looking but now there is no issue.

thank you again for your amazing support and kind words. i appreciate you all more than you'll ever know! i find it difficult to make all of the decisions sometimes. i'm sure everyone understands. those second thoughts seem to come to me in the middle of the night and i wake up in a sweat. i can never be sure if i'm about to commit some catastrophic mistake and blow the whole thing! i'm going to try and get out with the camera again so please check back later. i have a potfiller position dilemma i need help with!

• Maureen Dimitri
    13 years ago

Are those the Thermador columns?

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

OMG, I'm feeling faint.............
    It's unbelievably GORGOUS! This would have SO been my inspiration kitchen. You deserve every bit of it too! I can't believe how jaw dropping it is and it's not even finished yet! Totally, totally magazine worthy!!!!

• niffy
    13 years ago

Kate, it is gorgeous! Hang in there.... We had some very painful months with our build and 9 months later we are still working on some issues... (our builder has been great about follow through, though, which makes this part un-painful)But we are just so happy to be IN, out of our rental, having our time/lives back, that it is all fading quickly. This time last year, we were so impatient... I think the upcoming holidays magnify everything! I can honestly say we love our home, it was worth the painful moments to get what we wanted. You will certainly feel the same, as you are getting
    the house you envisioned, just slowly!

The house is gorgeous- I saw your pics over on the building forum and it really is lovely. Despite your GC issues, he clearly found you a fantastic cabinet maker and a great trim carpenter. The tile work looks great too, so I am sure your backsplash will be beautiful. What did you decide to do?

Love LOVE the kitchen so far.... hood is perfection! And I am putting in a request to see your baking armoire!! More photos, please!

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Kate

If I had that snails pace I would be thanking my lucky stars!

I can understand your at your last nerve. Kind of like giving childbirth - During the process you have that "never again, what am I doing here?" - then they put that sweet lil bundle of joy on your belly and all the fruits of hard work, toil and labor melt away

Best to you - hang in there, you have a keeper!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

This does not look like a kitchen a person has in their house... This looks like one that exists in the imagination and would only happen post-lottery-win!

I think all the big adjectives were used already so I will just say WOW!

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

How exciting to see your space -- finally! It's definitely on the Wow track and it's so nice to see you loving it. Will look forward to see it progress. The boxes do go away eventually. Hard to believe and crazy-making but they do.
    Congrats!

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i have to tell you that you guys are helping me find the passion to continue this task all over again. your kind words are so appreciated.

med: yes, i have the 30" thermador columns. we noticed over the weekend the back of the panels are not painted. it sort of sticks out like a sore thumb so i'll have to ask the cabinet maker to remedy this.

the center space between the fridge and freezer is nowhere near being done. while you can see how the doors fold inside, i'm afraid the doors for the appliance garages are not in place.
    {{!gwi}}

close up of the pocket door. the other side still needs to be finished. there's no hardware on the panels yet. i developed a severe case of brain fog and couldn't seem to get an accurate count of ALL the pulls ...and knobs ...and latches ...and cup pulls ...and crystal knobs ...and drop pulls. i seem to have a problem with commitment so i like to mix things up.
    {{!gwi}}

the garage doors will go directly under the shelves and flip up. while the counter is deeper than standard, i'll still only have approximately 17" of unobstructed counter. in our temporary house we have the microwave and toaster oven on the same run of counter and there's only about 10" left. it's enough space for what needs to happen in that area. plenty of room to set grocery bags for unpacking and certainly enough room to use as a prep center for breakfast and heating leftovers.

and here's a question for you. i wanted my pot filler centered on the backsplash but if i do that the grill cover won't be able to stay upright when lifted. i decided to leave it where it is ...except the range was not in place when they plumbed it, so it's not EXACTLY centered over the inside burner. what do you think? is it a big deal to have them scoot it over an inch or so or is this something i'm being ridiculously persnickety about?
    {{!gwi}}

as for the backsplash, i'm pretty sure i'll do the calacatta marble slab, polished. if anyone has a strong objection or concern PLEASE feel free to speak now! i like to consider all the options, although i'd prefer to stick with the same material. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. i never could have taken this on if it weren't for all of you.

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

Just stunning! I am sure you will make the right choice but that kitchen needs more "jewelry"! Can you do the backsplash in something else? I am thinking blue/grey/whitish, almost like your master shower stuff but no where near that sparkly... What was your plan for the range wall? It looks simply... grogeous and BIG!

• juniork
    13 years ago

Kate, truly stunning! You make me want marble for my kitchen, and I swore I'd never consider it due to the maintenance issues...I'm very much a low-maintenance girl!
    Your kitchen is timeless! I think it's also bigger than my family room! LOL!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Holy White Hotness!!!! I am in love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Forget the family room---your kitchen's almost bigger than my house! (Well, I think we have a couple hundred square feet on it... ;) It's coming together beautifully!

I'm not sure I'd worry about the pot filler, assuming it's the type that folds to the side. I suspect once it's attached, it will be hard to tell that it's not exactly aligned---to my eye, the bigger alignment issue would be the filler itself and how far it extends relative to the burners. (But if you know it will bug you over the years, then for sure I'd change it.)

• homechef
    13 years ago

Kate, you have a gorgeous kitchen in the making! I fully understand your frustration, as I myself is at a similar stage of remodel, sans the cabinets and appliances. Hang in there, you are nearing the end. Is your counter Calacatta polished?

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Will be waiting for the final pictures or even pictures as you come along. What a kitchen it will be. So pretty at this stage. Got to ask because I just can't figure it out, what is going to go in the can't figure it out looks like a shelf for spices but it is to the left of the window to the left of your mantle. Maybe when you or someone tells me I'll feel like we'll I should of know that. Looks wonderful.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous! Your space is amazing. And your materials and designs are perfect. I am absolutely drooling over your marble and glass cabinets. Thank you for sharing your beautiful space. I can't wait to see the finished kitchen.

• ptyles
    13 years ago

Wow, absolutely amazing and it isn't even done yet!! I cannot wait to see the finished product.

• dyno
    13 years ago

It's all quite orgasmic. You should be proud.

You may be unhappy with some imperfections but as you can see, no one else notices them.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

*Thud*

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wow, you guys don't disappoint! t*h*a*n*k y*o*u!!!

peytonroad: it may be hard to tell from the kitchen but i love color! for some reason i'm having a hard time committing to anything outside of the palette so far. and i've got a lot of blue going on in other areas of the house. my thinking was to keep it neutral, change up the surfaces (honed counters, polished backsplash) and have the "color" inch it's way in, in terms of accessories. thank you for the suggestion though. i think it's helpful to "hear" myself stick to the plan when alternate ideas are presented. it helps me to recognize what i REALLY want. so... anyone else? what are your thoughts on the backsplash??

and thanks, artemis and dyno. you're absolutely on the mark re: the pot filler. if the plumber tells me it's no big deal to nudge it over a bit then i will. if it is, i'll just live with it. there are so many other things to worry about. ;*)

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I have to first say, I've been on the building forum and LOVE the way your whole house is coming together, I mean, I really, really love it. Although your new house is in a whole other league than mine, I think we have similar tastes (hope I'm not over-flattering myself here) and penchants for the difficult to acquire and install (those slippery mosaics from far off places!).

Oh yeah, the backsplash..... so, you have your palette and you're sticking to it, I'm with you on that, so how bout some texture?

You're on that track with honed counters and a polished backsplash but I'm thinking just a little more texture would add some dimension and interest. I'm thinking marble rhomboid mosaic everywhere but behind the range where I'd love to see that slab. Or, a thick marble frame with a mosaic within (yeah, I know, that's what I have but I think it would look awesome in yours too). Niffy also has a framed marble mosaic in her backsplash and it's DIVINE.

Seriously, you can do anything with your backsplash because NOTHING could make your kitchen look bad! Keep us posted, I'm going to love watching the rest of it come together!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

It's such a beautiful & spacious space! Can't wait to see the finished pics, but no hurry! Hang in there, it's certainly going to be worth the wait & all the hassles you've been through.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Loving the hardware, and thanks for the pics of how your doors work. I think the potfiller a bit off to the side adds interest, and I think it's right that once it's there and folded back, it won't make a difference where it comes out.

• aokat15
    13 years ago

Kate - your kitchen is spectacular!!! It really is absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to see more progress/final pics!! I love your hardware choices and the richness of your marble and cabinetry. For the backsplash, I would probably do something simple and classic... you have such beautiful elements working for you so I think you'd want something that complements but doesn't take away from anything else or get too busy... also with the counter-height cabinets and windows you really won't have that much of a continuous backsplash. Anyway, I think the slab would be gorgeous or also the ever popular subway tile. I would look at Christopher Peacock kitchens for inspiration (if you haven't already) as you have very similar elements and if I'm recalling correctly you often see either the slab behind the range, like you are planning, or a simple tile in his spaces. However, like everyone said, you can't go wrong!! I hope you get into your house soon so you can enjoy that beautiful space!!

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!

• covingtoncat
    13 years ago

Oh. My. Gosh.

D R O O L !!

So lovely, and these are only the "teasers?" WOW!

I hope you will find encouragement here and keep your chin up. It will be worth it.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

O My. There are so many beautiful kitchens on GW. But truly only a few make my jaw drop when I see them.

Yours, is not even done and I'm picking my jaw up off of the breakfast table.

It looks awesome, and do NOT delay in posting more photos as more of the work is completed.

This will certainly be in my inspiration photos for my future kithen, if & when that time comes.

As the Jerseylicious gals say "It's gaw-juss"

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

White Cab Marble Slab Sister I am so excited for you!!! Thank you for posing these teaser pics because they are d-i-v-i-n-e. Yummy!

Okay, so we have marble slab backsplash, honed, and I'll tell you why: everybody here told me to do it in the same finish as the countertop.

While I often wish we had polished marble somewhere in the kitchen (because I think the shine is pretty), truthfully, when I see all the etches we have on the *honed* surfaces I think "oh yeah, good thing nothing's polished." (I'm currently putting a polished marble mini hex floor into the powder room, so I'm getting it there!)

As for the backsplash behind the cooktop: ours gets a lot of abuse. I know you're also a big cooker and cook for a large family (if I recall correctly you and your husband both have large families?), so there'll be grease splatters etc. galore back there. I can tell from our set-up (and we have just the teensiest amount of natural light in our kitchen) that if we had a polished backsplash all those splatters would be magnified / amplified (whichever).

Using dishsoap (like Dawn) has NOT removed the grease. The only two things I've found which have removed it are either a) one of those steamers (I am gaga for those steamcleaners) or b) SoftScrub, which I use probably way too liberally (I use a diluted SoftScrub to clean the painted cab fronts, and it works like a charm!). My youngest son cannot handle the sound of the steamcleaner so I can only use it when he's in preschool, which means I mostly use the SoftScrub. And yes, the backsplash is sealed and gets resealed and I'm sure that definitely helps and has kept the tomato & others from staining. But not those darned grease splatters! Until I use the scrubby sponge and SoftScrub (do I sound like an ad?) and then it's perfect and smooth as it should be. (picture me smiling)

I know you didn't ask for my cleaning tips but I guess I'm trying to tell you why I'm recommending a honed backsplash: stuff is going to get on your backsplash which is going to mar your polished surface and with all that gorgeous (I'm so envious!) natural light in your kitchen those grease splatters / etches will just jump out at you. I promise. If you keep it honed they'll be much less noticeable and much easier to clean. Yippee!

Oh I am so, so excited for you, and I'm going to set my calendar to ping me next month to come back and look for more pictures from you. Yours is the kitchen I have been waiting to see. Congratulations m'dear! xo

• i_m_fletcher
    13 years ago

You have a spectacular kitchen - well done on everything! Would you mind sharing the details of the maker / model of your hardware?

Thanks!

• katieob
    13 years ago

Hi Kate!

I can't stop looking at that kitchen!!!!

Well, Rome wasn't built in a day...

It is truly beautiful and I'm sure it will be so worth the wait that first morning when you come into that kitchen to have your coffee.

Our house is for sale and I'm really hoping to use those gorgeous appliance pulls in my future...

Good luck & keep the pics coming.

Best,
    Katie

• crescent50
    13 years ago

Wow Kate- it looks amazing!

Try and hang in there- If it looks that great now, I can hardly wait for the finished pictures :)

• archnista
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous...love the inset cabinets and faucet!

I do have one comment, though (sorry if I am repeating this, I did not read through everyone's comments) but will the inside face of your refrigerator door panel eventually be painted the same white color as your cabinets? Your kitchen has such a luxurious feel to it, and seeing the unfinished plywood whenever you have the refrigerator/freezer door open looks out of place...

But everything else looks great!

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rmkitchen: okay, i think i will have the backsplash honed as you suggest. did i mention my range has a GRILL?? yeah, i don't think polished marble (although ever so fabulous!) would work out as i planned. thank you so much for your very thoughtful comments and suggestion!

i m fletcher: i love the hardware. the latches are from cliffside industries; cup pulls from rejuvenation. drop pulls, appliance pulls, door and drawer pulls by schaub from homehardware4less.com

katieob: you're MOVING??! i can't believe it. didn't you just move in? will you build again. -for me, the thought of doing this again is enough to land me in the hospital! how will you be able to leave your gorgeous new home ...and wonderful kitchen?

crescent: thank you ...and didn't you move in? i remember your pics from last months roll call on the building forum but didn't see anything recent. ENJOY your beautiful home!

archnista: i did mention the panels somewhere. we just noticed them earlier this week and the cabinet maker stopped by just yesterday and took them down to have the backs painted. yes, that would have made me CRAZY!

• i_m_fletcher
    13 years ago

Kate,

Sorry for so many questions regardings the hardware - but do you know what size pull you have on your fridge? We're putting in the SZ 27" integrated columns and have been really struggling to figure out what size pull to get. Yours look perfect.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

fletch: the schaub pulls come in three sizes: 6" (on the larger drawers next to the range and also bottom (false) "drawers" on the fridge/freezer; 4" the smallest pulls (most of that same wall) and the appliance pulls (fridge/freezer) which are 12". note: i used the 6" pulls on my dishwashers and they are perfect.

all the pulls are on the same page; follow the link. homehardware4less also has the best pricing. someone here was nice enough to tell me about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: schaub & co. traditional hardware

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

Kate, one thing I think you should consider but it is just my dumb ole opinion... Your fridge is far from the range, can you add a mini fridge to the island opposite the range? I did and I am sooo thankful becuase I too have a long walk to the fridge. Just something to ponder....

• Susan
    13 years ago

wow, that fridge wall is spectacular!
    i love the marble counters and backsplash as well, i want that in my new kitchen too.

• aokat15
    13 years ago

Kate - would you mind sharing which bin pulls you bought from rejuvenation? Thanks!

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

The detail is unbelievable. When I see a kitchen like yours, I get that little pang of regret in not doing a white kitchen. I love everything about it. I love your faucet, too!
    I would have loved to see more pics of your beautiful house. If you have time, can you please post a close-up of your window casing, specifically the area of the sill and the casing under the sill. I am in the process of figuring out how I want my windows trimmed and and have not been able to print out a good picture for the lumber yard to show me what pieces to use. I would really appreciate it!
    I will be watching for future updates!
    Congrats on the progress and beautiful kitchen!
    ~Michelle

• tamihs13
    13 years ago

i don't know if i missed it but what color are your cabinets painted. beautiful kitchen

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

Maybe a marble mosaic from New Ravenna under the hood between the windows and marble subways or mini-subways for the rest of the kitchen?

Here is a link that might be useful: new ravenna