Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lacuisine_gw

nearly finished!

lacuisine
15 years ago

Just need paint and window treatment. Thanks to all for holding my hand thru this LONG process!

left side....

right side....

view from dining room....

appliance garage closed....

appliance garage open...

close up of glass backsplash, much better in real life!

close up of window sill, a last minute inspiration...

lots of love from

LC

Comments (25)

• smilingjudy
    15 years ago

The window sill is genius. Good call. Love the color combo of the countertop and backsplash. Are the cabinets bamboo? Looks great!

• lacuisine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes, bamboo. Countertop is Silestone Unsui.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Verrry cool. Not my usual style at all, but I still love it. Nice job.

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

I love it. I love the clean lines. If my house wasn't 110 years old I could definitely go minimalist/contemporary/Asian influence. In fact I've been thinking about doing the master bath this way. Could you tell me more about your cabinets? And I love your windowsill.

• lacuisine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i cannot recommend the cabinet maker. Many many problems. Fortunately the end result is beautiful. They are full overlay, carmelized bamboo with full exension soft close everything. There are a variety of bamboo dealers around.
    the windowsill was something i had been dreaming about during this whole long drawn-out process. I didnt think i'd have enough trim left over. Finally, during the last hours of installation, i dug out the pieces and convinced my contractor to do it for me. there were some issues we had to get around, but it turned out really nicely and i'm SO glad we found a solution!

thanks

lc

• busybme
    15 years ago

Super kitchen, lacuisine! I love your apliance garage and may have to steal that idea from you! : )

Sandy

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I'm with victoriajane. I love the clean lines and minimalist look but live in a 100 yr old house. Your kitchen looks really nice. Love the glass backsplash and that window sill is a work of art. Very nice, indeed.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Very cool and contemporary. I especially like the glass back splash and the applinace garage. You have created an unusual and exciting kitchen. Great job!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Oh, I just LOVE the clean, modern lines! Everything is gorgeous! It is beeee-uuuuu-ttttt--ful! So lovely. Congrats on a fabulous job!

• ni_2006
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Well done!!!!

What do you think of the vent hood? I have the same one!

Did you ever resolve the differences in overhang on the countertop?

• janefan
    15 years ago

Love it...wouldn't fit in my house either, but it's so clean, beautiful and warm at the same time. So nicely done!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

I'm with cheri & victoriajane - 100 yr old house here, and I do LOVE old houses, but reconciling my love of clean, zen-like lines & spaces with my love of old houses creates decorating dilemmas for me on a regular basis!

I particularly love your backsplash!

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

I love what you did with your MW. I am trying to figure out where to put mine and I like that it is hidden and not built into the cabinets. The flexibility to change it or replace it without having to worry about fitting into a cabinet makes so much sense.... Now if I can only pick a cabinet with this option..... And figure out where to put it into my layout... Just minor details...

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Your layout reminds me of what I'm looking at for mine. Beautiful choices... love the clean lines, emphasis on the beauty of the natural wood, soothing color scheme. You must be so proud... ENJOY!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Very nice and sleek!

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

Love it! Very cool.

• back2brooklyn
    15 years ago

Really like your backsplash. Seems like it would be as durable & easy to clean as stainless but much prettier. Can you give more info about ordering, installation and approximate cost? Thanks, your entire kitchen is gorgeous.

• lacuisine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, everyone!
    for those of you who like the microwave cabinet, as it is on a shelf and not "built-in", your cabinet maker should have some product that would fit it even if they dont do custom sizes. please note that there is only ONE microwave shallow enough to it such a over the counter cabinet - the GE PEM 31 ( Depth: 12-9/32", so fits into a 14 inch deep cabinet).
    For those of you who want a glass backsplash, your best bet is looking around locally for glass manufacturers, though i suppose some people would ship such a fragile object. we purchased from glassworks.net in chicago. they will match any paint color. the piece is OPAQUE on the back, so you dont see any imperfections in the wall. total price for that 10- 11 ft run was about $ 1300 , including multiple onsite measuring and consultation meetings, color matching, fabrication, installation, and four identically painted switchplates.

enjoy,

lc

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

lacuisine,
    Your kitchen came out beautifully! I remember when you posted pics of your not-quite-complete kitchen and even then with those gorgeous bamboo cabinets, it was a stunner. Now, it looks breath-taking. I LOVE slab glass backsplashes and I have the very one you've got so I absolutely adore it ;-). & silver grey is just simply an inspired choice with the rich bamboo. That said, the oddest things, if done with a unique flair will seize attention. Sadly, in your case, it is your (bamboo) windowsill LOL! That is sheer brilliance and it just underscores the attention to detail in that kitchen. I like your windowsill shelf thing so much, it is ridiculous.

Still, the silver-grey with the bamboo is just perfection.
    (BTW, I have a galley kitchen too with some similar elements and a very similar "arrangement" although I suppose there can't be too many layout differences in a galley kitchen). How do you like the long work counters? :-) Ain't space grand?!

I am a bit surprised about what may have happened to my post. I posted on Tuesday or Monday when I first saw your kitchen. I know I did because I had asked you about your switch plates. And it is nowhere to be seen.

Regardless, I absolutely love this kitchen. Congratulations.

• lacuisine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mindstorm-
    thank you thank you thank you! i know we are like-minded so it's great to have your feedback. the backsplash is just so stunning. btw , it is actually green in real life.
    yes, i LOOOOOOOOVE the long workspace on the right. the greatest luxury a kitchen can have!
    and i am so glad the windowsill worked out.
    be well,

LC

• lacuisine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mindstorm-

about the switchplates, i think your ss look great, but if you DO want to change,mine are actually lucite, backpainted in the same color as the 'splash. should be an easy fix if you want to do it.

LC

• lacuisine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Catmom- i LOVE yours. so thanks for the good words. Seriously, LOVE.

ni 2006 - yes, the countertop overhangs are the same now. my KD really went to bat for me getting them to come back and fix everything. Yeah!

LC

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

I love it!!! If you ever decide to sell...

• lacuisine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

....... then I will give you first dibs! We may make a move to Evanston, though not soon. how did yours turn out? i remember the huge granite dilemma...
    photos?

LC

• morton5
    15 years ago

Lacuisine, that turned out great! What a clean, efficient space. Enjoy!