Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huango

hood backsplash- just up to hood or up to ceiling?

huango
11 years ago

Hola,

Is there any rhyme or reason on choosing where to end the hood backsplash:

- stopping at the hood, or

- going up to the ceiling?

So I changed my hood from undercabinet style to chimney style hood.

Countertop and hood backsplashh = VT Danby Mountain White marble.

Obviously it's easier to stop at the hood, so I don't have to purchase a 3rd slab, or try to line up the veining, etc. We're already doing the "waterfall effect" from backsplash down to the cooktop countertop.

reminder: my layout:

stop at hood?

or up to ceiling?

{{!gwi}}

thank you for your help,

Amanda

Comments (11)

• angela12345
    11 years ago

You are going to have cabinets coming up to each side of the hood as shown in your two example pictures ? My vote is stop at hood.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Agree - stop at hood.

• ice1
    11 years ago

I say all the way up. Looks unfinsihed the other way. And imagin the pain to paint and cut when you repaint the kitchen where the hood is later on.
    Ice.

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Either would be OK but I prefer the look of marble all the way to the ceiling. Depending on how much it cost for the third slab though, I could probably live with stopping at the bottom of the hood.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

all the way up

• chrisk327
    11 years ago

part of it is personal preference, part IMHO is not.

And the deciding factor IMHO as to whether its personal preference is: are the cabinets on either side basically touching the hood or is there space?

if you have a decent amount of space on either side of the hood I think it basically "has" to go to the ceiling.

obviously some people have different preferences or sore points.

if you have cabinets on either side that basically touch, I think it is really personal preference.

if you have a chunky hood like those and a small amount of space on either side, I'd say stop at the hood.

• Fori
    11 years ago

I dunno. Chimney hoods often look wrong with cabinets close by on either side anyway so I'd just do whatever it takes to avoid a seam at eye level.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I don't think either option is wrong, but my personal preference is for all the way up.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

If the cabs will be hung close to the hood, I'd stop at hood height. To me, the additional money spent to marble that upper area would be better served somewhere else in my kitchen. Then again, my budget wasnt unlimited. I'd rather spend that extra cash on a better faucet that is so very essential for everyday kitchen life. Or on a better appliance where sometimes a little bit more money buys you a much better unit. Or on new cookware.

OTOH, if you will see lots of drywall between cabs and hood, i would marble to the ceiling. I don't have upper cabs flanking my hood so I knew that I would need to run my bs to the ceiling.

Another element that would effect my decision is the amount of other bare drywall area in the kitchen. If there will be very little, then Id lean towards marbling the wall.

• User
    11 years ago

Your example pics have a set end point for the backsplash on the end of the cabinet run but in your kitchen it appears that the backsplash will have to continue on with the peninsula. Because of this it may look odd to have the backsplash to the ceiling but I would need to see more pics of the range wall to be sure.