Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me! [Help keep on Page 1]

Buehl
12 years ago

Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you may find the following information and links helpful.

The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)/Articles pages contain helpful information about how to navigate this site as well as the world of kitchen renovations.

The Kitchen Forum Acronyms will help you understand some of the acronyms used frequently in posts.

The Finished Kitchens Blog has pictures and information about many GW members' finished kitchens. Not only can you see them alphabetically, but there is also a category list if you're looking for specific things like a kitchen w/a Beverage Center or a kitchen w/a mix of dark and light cabinets. Access the FKB Categories Page via a link in the navigation panel on the right of any FKB page. Additionally, there is also a link to "In-Progress Kitchens" for those members' kitchens that are not quite ready for the FKB. There is also a link to "Coming Soon Kitchens" for those kitchens that are ready for the FKB but have not yet been added. To access the "In-Progress Kitchens", the "Coming Soon Kitchens", and the "FKB Categories", see the links in the navigation panel that is on the right side of each main FKB page.

The Appliances Forum is very useful when you have questions specific to appliances.

To start off the kitchen remodel process...take the Sweeby Test. Then, move on to Beginning a Kitchen Plan.

Other topics such as layouts, planning for storage, and stone materials are discussed in later topics in this thread. Even more information can be found by doing a search on the forum.

Tips:

• Before posting a question, please search the forum. There's a very good chance someone has already asked the question.

• When using the "search" function, be sure to use the search box on the bottom of the page, not the top!

• Note, however, that you will probably have better luck searching if you use Google (or similar search engine) than if you use the Forum search function. When using Google, to limit your results to Garden Web, include the following in your search criteria:

***site:ths.gardenweb.com

In the Subject, the site changes the double quote used as the inches indicator (") to a single quote ('). We don't know why. To compensate, use two single quotes and it will appear as a double quote in the Subject. Luckily, the double quote works in the message box.

When composing a new thread, you have a couple of options:

• Have replies emailed to you: check the box offering this option. However, you must have "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site." box checked in your profile for this to work (see the "Your Profile" link at the very top of the page) [See the post later in this thread with the Subject: Getting Emails Sent To You...3-step Process]

• Insert a link: When you "preview" your message, you will be provided with two boxes for a link...one is for the link itself and the second is for the name or description of the link.

When using the "Clip this post"...

Comments (144)

• Buehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

~bump~*~bump~

• enduring
    12 years ago

bump

• enduring
    12 years ago

bump

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

bump

• advanced
    12 years ago

Bumpity bump

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Don't steal, don't lift

(I'm baaaack!)

• darbuka
    12 years ago

***bump***

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Twenty years of schoolin'

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

and they put you on the day shift.

(What were you doing on p. 3, you naughty thread?!)

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Look out kid,

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

They keep it all hid

• PeterH2
    12 years ago

Bump!

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Better jump down a manhole

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Light yourself a candle

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Don't wear sandals

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Try to avoid scandals

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Don't want to be a bum

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

You better chew gum

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

The pump don't work

• enduring
    12 years ago

bump

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

'cause the vandals stole the handle.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

For those of you who were wondering, that was "Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Bob Dylan. What lyrics should we play next? Enduring? Buehl? Whaddya request? :-)

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Okay, I'll start then...

Stayed in bed all morning just to pass the time

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

There's something wrong here, there can be no denying

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

One of us is changing

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Or maybe we just stopped trying

• gardengrl66 z5
    12 years ago

bump

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

And it's too late, baby, now it's too late

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Though we really did try to make it

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Something inside has died

• Buehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• Buehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• enduring
    12 years ago

bump

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

And I can't hide and I just can't fake it

• bahacca
    12 years ago

bumpity bump

• janicedallas
    12 years ago

bump bump

• Tasha Harris
    12 years ago

Buehl, thank you for reposting this thread. I had a hard time finding the Sweeby test. Is there a way to make it more prominent? I finally found it in the "When Planning Kitchen" thread and find it truly invaluable as a newbie.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Sweeby Test is in the first post of this thread.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

It used to be so easy living here with you

• Buehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• Redhead47
    12 years ago

Holiday bump!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

bump

• Tasha Harris
    12 years ago

Hi Buehl,

I'm probably calling the post by the wrong name. I'm referring to the following post by Sweeby:

" Posted by sweeby (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 12:21

Great wisdom so far. Let me add a bit more.

One: Go through what you have now and give away or throw out the stuff you never use. How many coffee mugs do you have that you never use? How many cheapo spatulas that you'd only use if pigs flew? How many freebie koozies in the back of the drawer? How many mismatched plastic cups and plates you'd never use? How much lidless Tupperware? How many grody pots & pans leftover from your college days or Hubby's bachelor pad? Get that junk out of your soon-to-be-beautiful space! Use the 'Would I buy it at a garage sale?" test if you're not sure.

Two: Once you've thrown out the junk, inventory the stuff you have, and classify it by function and frequency of use. For example:
    - One 36" drawer of daily use pots & pans,
    - One 36" drawer of weekly/monthly use cookware,
    - Two 24" shelves of every day china dishes,
    - One 24" shelf of every day glassware,
    - Two 36" shelves of fancy (Holiday) china and glassware.

Having this inventory is invaluable for planning your new space. Without it, you just won't know how much of what type of space you need, and you could end up with too little storage, or else sacrificing something you'd really like for storage space you didn't need. The security of knowing that 40% of your storage could actually go into a back room pantry (turkey roaster, lobster pot, espresso maker...) with hardly any loss of functionality gives you a huge amount of design flexibility.

Three: Prioritize lifestyle choices and preferences. Things like:
    - One seat near the prep area so I can help Sonny with his homework while I cook dinner,
    - Buffet zone for casual entertaining,
    - Cozy seating area for two for morning coffee with Hubby,
    - Open sight lines to the TV-watching area or PC so I can supervise the kids,
    - Closed sight lines to the dining area so I don't have to see the mess while I eat!

This may sound crazy, but make a list of how your ideal kitchen will function, then rate the items on that list for how important they are to you. Which are deal-killers and which are 'nice to haves'? Also include what activities are daily and what are annual. There's an old adage in real estate: "Don't build the church for Easter Sunday." Apply that to your kitchen plan; plan for your maximum regular use, not for your maximum ever use.

You may not be able to get everything on your list (who can?), but at least you'll be able to choose wisely. By having my inventory and lifestyle choices, I was able to confidently choose the design that met 95% of my lifestyle wants and all of my storage needs over a design that offered much more storage and counter-top space but only 80% of my lifestyle list. Knowing that I didn't need more storage space got me a much better kitchen!"

Here is a link that might be...

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

bump...Happy New Year!

• Buehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• EngineerChic
    12 years ago

bump ...

• xc60
    12 years ago