Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Time to bring it on home...lighting decisions!

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

I need pendants for over my island and a fixture for above my table. I also would love to pick a fixture for my dining room.

Here is my kitchen so far:

{{!gwi}}

Does my kitchen want some color? Or does my kitchen want neutral lights? I don't want to hit the contemporary thing too hard over the head - i want it to be transitional and not too crazy.

We own two of these Luce Plan lights from a previous house. Ours have white shades. They have this marvelous sculptural quality to the cord and that neat counterweight. My biggest concerns would be are they too bland? Too big? The diameter at the base of the shade is 16" and my island is about 58" long.

{{!gwi}}

I also love the basic cone shaped mini pendant available tons of places (one example below) but I'm unsure what kind of color direction to go. Thoughts?

{{!gwi}}

Or my first choice Sugar Pendant, but in the white?

{{!gwi}}

For the dining room?

{{!gwi}}

Anita

Comments (106)

• ellen917
    15 years ago

Thanks for the island info, Anita. Maybe I can squeeze 8 inches on the sides. Better go measure again...we have a walkway issue to work around. E

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

The last mercury one above is the pendant I have my heart set on. :) I wonder how they look in person. The first pendant is beautiful, but $1800?! I'd rather have the bat pendant igloo likes!!!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

LOL was that a compliment or an insult :oP

I used the words "hand blown glass light" or pendant to get the options I found. But Anita, for that style light, I'd use Art Nuveau or Art Deco chandelier.

I'm going to go on the quest so that I can avoid the disaster that is my hme (our GC skipped the country apparently today, leaving me with a cabinet that is collapsing, granite hanging from a chad, and well, a mess!)

I have to say, even with the hood I wantto see some color or totally clear glass. I can't say that I'd remove any of the choices I showed, except for the one with three globes and the gold hand blown one. I think the glass needs to be pretty thin which is more modern looking. I really liked pb's options as well. Mercury glass would be lovely, but keep it light.

Oh and this one is still available since I haven't found a spot for it...
    {{!gwi}}

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

COMPLIMENT ALL THE WAY!!! I love the bats!!! If I had the money I would buy those just to put up for the entire month of October (husband would not allow them year round).

I just didn't expect that first mercury pendant to be so pricey. When I realized the cost, I immediately remembered that I could have the bats- if I had that kind of money to spend on lighting. :)

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

I really like the idea of a clear glass pendant something like what Igloo showed from remodelista. It's clean and interesting. That is what I see when I look at your kitchen. I think I would like to see brushed nickel for the trim. It's soft.

Mercury glass just doesn't do it. Too traditional.

I would love to see modern art with antique type frames in your dining area.

• lyno
    15 years ago

Redroze - I hope you don't mind, in the absence of your DH, I tried photoshopping a few pendants with the backgrounds eliminated. I've very visual, too, and I really wanted to see the beautiful tile and hood past the pendants.

Nomorebluekitchen - I love your kitchen. I wasn't sure of the sizes of the actual pendants nor how wide your island is, so I did a little guessing. And like Igloo Chic, I'm not too keen on white. I really like the very first one you posted and I like the idea that you can change the shade if you want (I think I read that amongst the posts). I think a little color would be good and I don't think it would detract from the beautiful tile at all. Anyway, I'm haven't posted pictures before, so there is a link below to my attempts.

I hope this helps. If there is a certain pendant you'd like me to try, maybe you could also give the width of the pendant and the width of your island so I could get the proportions closer to reality.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check these out

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Where'd the bat come from? Hmmm? Austinites should love it.

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lyno, you did awesome! These are really helpful. I can't wait until my husband can see them.

I think you did pretty well with the proportions. I think those Luce Plan ones of mine are too big.

Would you mind photoshopping one of the clear ones? Either of the ones igloo posted, or the one from kitchendetective? After seeing your pics I'm thinking the clear with some architectural interest is the way to go.

I am agreeing with mamadadapaige that the sugar ones are too boring, too common and they just sort of disappear in the kitchen but not in a good way.

Igloo, I love those bat lights! I might buy them and change out my pendants every October :) Halloween is my favorite holiday. All fun, no pressure.

Anita

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

DH may have to drag me away from the computer soon.

• lyno
    15 years ago

Okay, I re-read about posting pictures so I'm trying to post them:

Nomoreblue's first pendant photo:

{{!gwi}}

This is one Igloo Chic listed:

{{!gwi}}

Here's the Sugar Pendant:

{{!gwi}}

And here are a couple of the Bellacors:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Last one:

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Ok I like the Red one I posted, probably the best, and then second, I love the clear one KD posted in her last post.

I'd also like to see TWO reds verses one at a minimum. I like the way it mimics the shape of the hood, and the silver wire works with the balance of your kitchen.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Lyno - I don't mind at all! It makes a huge difference to crop around the images and I just don't have the patience for it! ;-)

Oh my, this will be a very very hard choice but a fun one. The main benefit of the ghost arm is you get the exact size dimensions and island-to-pendant ratio - note how my DH held our pendant right beside the island. Just keep this in mind Anita, but you can't make a wrong choice here.

• gglks
    15 years ago

i was afraid that the hood would change everything!!!!!! i have to say i'm not loving any of these....maybe the clear one from kd.

i love mercurty glass and have the bell shaped mercury glass pendants in my kitchen and i LOVE them...but i'm just not seeing those in yours.

what overall style/feeling do you want in your kitchen?

i'm afraid that the red is just too distracting to the hood/backsplash....just personal preference though. now i feel like i'm pushing my "candidate"...which i guess is appropriate for today, but i think i like a small clear or linear interesting but not overpowering pendant like

ps...hope you are feeling better!!!!!!!!!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

LOL - That first mercury glass pendant I posted is a "real" antique - hence the price. None of them are quite perfect shape-wise but I like the idea of MG because it reflects colors well.

I must say the last clear pendants kd posted are quite interesting and just might work.

• lyno
    15 years ago

Nomorebluekitchen, I see in another of your posts that you are favoring the Parker; I'm guessing you want 2 or 3 over the island, here is an attempt:

{{!gwi}}

Two of IglooChic's red pendants:

• lyno
    15 years ago

Oops the red pendants didn't post, here's another try:

{{!gwi}}

• gglks
    15 years ago

i like the parker!!!!!!! another one of my candidates!!!! if you don't like the black finish...you could also get it in a brushed nickel!!!!

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Yeah, the sugar cones are a little boring. But I like the top one of the two Bellacor's shown -- didn't like it so much yesterday but I really like the look of it. More substantial than the sugar, and a little more interesting. . I also like KitchenDetective's clear ones -- would love to see those photoshopped in. Would also like to see the Parker in brushed nickel -- I like the fixture but not the dark metal.

The red ones seem kind of fun, but all the time? Hmmmm....I don't know about that.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

smilingjudy... I found the pendant on bellacor.com . I don't remember which page because I kept doing different searches. I believe I did a search for "crystal" and didn't specify anything else. Sorry... I'm just not sure and they have soooooooo many to choose from!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Ok if you're going to go white...at least make it interesting!

and before I post any more pics, let me make sure that worked...

woo hoo it did....so let me keep shopping (ebay)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Yanno, I started from the bottom, saw the pics and said "That's gotta be i-chic posting..." I was right.

Love 2 and 5 for the space. 4 is very, very cool and if I had a place for it and could talk Hubby into it I'd grab it for myself.

• lyno
    15 years ago

Here are a couple of the clear ones from IglooChic. I can't eliminate their background that you see through the glass; I wish I could. That leaves them looking creamy or white.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

And from KD, these look sort of silver instead of clear:
    {{!gwi}}

Sorry, but the clear ones are a challenge. Also, I missed your note earlier. If, by chance, I picked up any of the wrong lights from the large growing group here, let me know.

Lyno

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Love love love love the middle set of clear ones Lyno just posted! (credit to igloo, of course) They do a perfect job of echoing the hood, & now that I'm seeing them in place, with the hood in place too I think clear is perfect. And 2 of them, definitely. What size are they? I'm assuming a bit smaller than they appear in the pic.

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

Besides the clear glass pendants and I really like the ones marked Bellacor, the fourth on down from the ps that lyno put up (the white ones that have interesting dimension to them). Red just doesn't make it IMHO.

In the second set my vote goes for the third picture even though you can't see the glass in the ps.

Some of the ones posted just don't seem to go with the lines of the kitchen and some still lean more to traditional which your kitchen is not. At all.

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am strongly favoring these two, or at least this look:

{{!gwi}}

I also love the clear one posted by kitchendetective. My only hesitation on this one is that it is a little more visually complex and I generally opt for simplicity. But I love it :)

{{!gwi}}

Questions:

1) does the dark (orb?) finish on the first two work in my kitchen?

2) if I use any of these, what do I do for the light above the kitchen table? Do I do something with clear glass so they make sense together?

BTW, I know I've said this at least a dozen times, but GW ROCKS. It is such a community and I find myself amazed at the amount of help and interest from people I wouldn't recognize if they rang my doorbell! It is a beautiful thing!

Anita

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Anita I don't think you could go wrong with any of those choices - I'm really liking all 3.

I think the ORB works with the dark cabs, the stools, & other dark touches throughout the kitchen, so I think it's fine. Is the last one a bar w/ 4 lights?

And I SO agree that GW ROCKS! I spent many hours here during the first phase of my remodel, & my kitchen really benefited; I only wish I had asked more questions. I will when it's time for the next phase! I'm really loving all of your threads; I know that I'm learning a lot just by being a part of watching your process, & progress. :)

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

I really like the 3rd one. Clean & modern, but not boring. Where are they from? Usually pendants come in families and there will be a coordinating something that would work over a table.

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kitchendetective,

what is the source on that 3rd light shown two posts above?

Anita

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Agreed. I love the third (kitchendetective) light for your space.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Sorry - meant to post the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Leucos Light

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I think your inal choices are great, although I did want you to go for that first ebay one...since you didn't, I may have to buy it.

I'd go with a similar feel for the table fixture, but not the same line...that gets boring.

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

Anita, I love KD's and think that they would add a touch of "funky" without distracting from all of your other elements. I don't think you would need to go for glass over your table. I just went back to your kitchen progress post to see if you had a pic there of the table, so I saw the "nook" - do you have the furniture picked out?

Because it's offset from the kitchen , you could do something simple and complementary - maybe going back to a couple of style choices above, like your white Luce lights. Or something like these drum shades?

Eliz

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're reusing an old table and chairs, at least for the time being. In this picture they look a little pink. The granite is red with grey and black veining.

{{!gwi}}

Chairs:
    {{!gwi}}

Eliz, I love the drum pendants. Where are they from?

Igloo, you have posted some amazing lights! I think my favorite is still the art nouveau fixture that I loved for the dining room (super expensive) but I also loved this one:

{{!gwi}}

Where is it from?

And kitchendetective, where did you find this one?

{{!gwi}}

Anita

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

Anita, they're both from Lighting Universe (direct urls below) - they have a huge selection!

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/products/view.aspx?sku=3007491

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/products/view.aspx?searchTerm=drum%20pendant&family=364437

I love all of Igloo's too.

I think you have now officially entered the "Paradox of Choice" zone! Problem is, all of us GW'ers want to be there... :-)

Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: Paradox of Choice

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eliz,

You are so right - I have entered the ZONE! We own that book and have laughed about it many times as we struggle over decisions. Normally my husband is the one who wants every decision perfect I'm fine doing "good enough", but on this kitchen I want everything perfect and he says anything is fine:)

Thanks for the links.

Anita

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Bad news....your two favs of mine are both killer expensive. That fabulous space ship is an antique, and I LOVE it!!! Starting bids were around $5,000. If I had a place for that...I'd rob a bank if necessary LOL

• lyno
    15 years ago

I found the clear lights IglooChic posted at the following link, they are probably other places, too. The brand is Roost. They combined the cylindrical and the funnel shape together at this site, I like that look and I really like these lights. Some creative woodworker/electrician could also probably create something for over your dining room table. They had a table lamp that matched, but no chandelier. I ps'd them again. Here's where I found them: http://www.velocityartanddesign.com/clear-glass-lamp-c-349-p-6-pr-20072.html

{{!gwi}}

DH and I are planning to build that's why I've been mostly lurking here. I'm going to have to keep these lights in mind, too. Although my dear old fashioned DH probably would nix them.

• lyno
    15 years ago

Let me correct myself when I said: "Some creative woodworker/electrician..." Maybe instead of woodworker, some metalcraftsman.

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Sorry,
    Didn't mean for that to come out so large.
    One of the sources was here, under pendants, then modern:
    http://www.italian-lighting-centre.co.uk/ceiling-pendants-modern-c-9_41.html
    I was sure I'd recall the other since I adore, adore, adore Murano glass. I'll look around and return in a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian glass

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Voila!

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

The four-light pendant kitchendetective just posted the link to is not normally my style, but something about it "calls" to me--very unusual and interesting. Would be nice to see it photo-shopped into your kitchen - you probably would never see anyone else with it as it is so unique!

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, POO! I had pretty much settled on the glass Roost lights (photoshopped in five posts above) but when I looked at the link, they are not direct wire pendants, they are actually lamps that are meant to be plugged in and then swagged over. Nuts!

So now I'm looking for something similar to these Roost lights:

{{!gwi}}

that is available for direct wire. I also loved the one kitchendetective posted but they are $500 each...

Anita

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Pottery barn has something similar called Rustic Glass Pendant:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p5823/index.cfm?pkey=call%2Dchandeliers%2Dpendants

Also, take a look at the Nash Pendants on their site (they are not clear glass but the finish looks like it would work):

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p10433/index.cfm?pkey=cpendants

Sorry, not good at linking/posting pics

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

These are on sale, should you have any interest in them.
    See "Arcadia"
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Napa Style

• lyno
    15 years ago

Hi, again. I just ran across a kitchen in the FKB that has similar clear lights from pottery barn. It is Sherrilea's Kitchen, and if you then go to her ling to kitchen photos it will bring up a webpage with 4 tabs at the top. Click on the one for
    Kitchen Specs and there you will see info on the lights as well as a picture of them. There is also an e-mail to click on at the bottom, but I didn't try it. I don't know if Sherrilea is still posting/monitoring this blog, her kitchen was done in 2006. I've posted the link to that page:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherrilea's Kitchen w Pottery Barn Lights

• sailormann
    15 years ago

This would give you a bit of a focal point without being too OTT. It's a Beautiful Room !

{{!gwi}}

• daki
    15 years ago

Nomorebluekitchen, did you ever decide on pendant lighting? Earlier in this thread, you mentioned that the Roost lights were not hardwire. While looking through the Sundance catalog that came in the mail today, I noticed that their version is hardwire only and remembered this old thread...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sundance light