Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael86_gw

Counter Stools

michael86
13 years ago

Can anyone recommend a place to get counter stools? Either in-store or online. I'm in the Bayside, Queens area of NY but can travel to Long Island.

My kitchen is close to being finished. Pics to follow.

Thanks

Michael

Comments (15)

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I ordered my stools online because the choices around me were over priced and boring.

For my nook I bought Holsag âÂÂBulldogâ custom stools which are very well made, sturdy and actually have a finish that is into the wood as opposed to a finish that sits on top that you can scrape off with a finger nail. They are on sale for $118, come in 7 different heights and I think 28 different finishes with a choice of 2 different metal cover foot guards. They also offer a seat cushion with more options there. I would highly recommend these if you want a hardy backless practical stool that will fit with all kitchen styles as they are a very good value and quality.

My peninsula stools I bought from Carolina Rustica online. They have a very nice selection of stools. I picked a Johnston Casuals stool (which I love); they come in 17 or so finish options, 2 height options and over 60 fabric/leather/vinyl seat cover options. They also swivel! These stools were priced at more than I wanted to spend but are well made and make a statement so I do not regret the purchase

Both of these picks will take at least four weeks to get.

The stool search was a big torment for me, if you do a search here in the kitchen forum there are a few posts with a list of online stool shop ideas if you do not find anything local. There are also quite a few modern stores as well.

Good luck!

• sayde
    13 years ago

There's such a wide variety of designs -- what are you looking for?

In my tiny kitchen I only have room for one. I wanted something sculptural, old-fashioned and industrial looking. I bought the Vintage stool from Restoration Hardware. Very happy with it --its design fits my kitchen but is definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We ordered ours from Design Centro Italia--found them after my umpteenth late-night, bleary-eyed search for counter stools. We wanted ones that were contemporary, real leather, streamlined (so as not to overwhelm a small space), and had non-powder coated metal legs.

I had never ordered furniture online before, and was a bit nervous ordering something like that sight-unseen, but these appeared to be what were looking for. Nobody else carried these stools in leather, just wood. We did go to see them in wood at an outlet store prior to placing our order (figuring, if they were reasonably comfortable in wood, they'd be even more so in the leather version).

Here is a link that might be useful: Baba leather stools

• carybk
    13 years ago

I just got done looking for counter stools online for ages. We wanted a simple classic style in wood or white paint; I wanted only wood or metal because we are parents (no fabric or leather to fuss about protecting); and I wanted swivel stools because I think people are less likely to tip those backwards and hurt themselves or the stools. I was shocked when we finally found what we were looking for-- at Pottery Barn. Their Windsor counter stools are currently on sale.

• bireland
    13 years ago

Pottery Barn has reasonably priced stools in different heights.

• segbrown
    13 years ago

My favorites were from Ballard Designs and Crate and Barrel.

• michael86
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone. I didn't think it would be so difficult trying to find counter stools.

• istyleit
    13 years ago

segbrown, did you have any problems with the ones from Ballard designs? Im thinking of ordering mine from there.

thanks

• plllog
    13 years ago

If you're looking for fancier stools, Frontgate.com has a good selection.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Also, you might want to google Restaurant Seating /Chairs / Stools. I am linking the site that I got my dining chairs from. I found that, depending on the style you are going for, restaurant suppliers have a good variety of seating at really good prices.

Also, you might want to check out Pier 1 and World Market if you are interested in a more casual, earthy feel.

Here is a link that might be useful: discount seating

• segbrown
    13 years ago

istyleit, no, the Ballard stools have been great. Sturdy and comfortable.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

Just have to put a plug in for Crate and Barrel's modern sister CB2 - they have some fun and inexpensive options if it fits your style. We got the Vapor stools and LOVE them - comfy and low profile.

Pierre Deux has gorgeous French country options and I love Wisteria's draftman stool.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Dunno if IKEA can be done online. I have loved a fold-up stool I bought from them for years ... course fold-up may not be what you need at a bar either. Geesh... never mind! I'll leave the post in case it's of interest to another (for another context).