Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_355114

Combine K/LR in quad level

We have a quad level home build in the 50s, well-maintained and nicely appointed. Lower level a half basement/ laundry room/ work area, first level is a large family room about 26x36 where we spend most of our waking hours, upper level is BRs and a den. The level in question is a LR and very small kitchen with adjacent very small eating area. The question is, would we be hindering ourselves badly (resale value) if we were to eliminate the LR entirely and go for a very large and modernized kitchen and large dining area?

Al

Comments (12)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Wow! You must be in great shape going up and down those stairs all the time.

I'm confused about what level the current kitchen/living room is on. Does it go (from bottom to top): laundry/work area to family room to kitchen/living to bedrooms/den?

If so, and if your current family room is such that you would use it for all your sit down visiting with friends anyway, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it and create a nice kitchen/dining space. I think that would be much more functional than what you currently have.

Please keep in mind, I'm not a realtor and am just saying what would work for me. But a good, spacious kitchen that is functional and enjoyable to be in should be a good selling point, imho.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes - from bottom up - bsmt - FR - K/LR - BRs & den.

The LR is never used, but we're wondering how others might look at a home with a rather large family room, but no LR. Thanks for the response.

Al

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

What is the dimension of the kitchen/living/dining level? I also have a quad-level and took down the walls in that same area to make an open concept space. We vaulted the ceiling, added a large island and skylights, and reconfigured the kitchen, but still have a dining and living room space. I thought that would be best for resale and we like it as a gathering, conversation area. We spend the daytime hours on this level and nighttime in the lower level family room. It's also nice for entertaining and to have separate spaces for kids and teens. I also considered putting the dining area on the larger living room side but there's only two of us right now. The open plan is versatile and the next owner can eliminate the living room space and have a large dining area if they prefer.

Are you wanting to leave the load bearing wall up?

Original Author
    9 years ago

K + LR combined = 22x24.

We would remove the load wall & use a steel I-beam for support.

Al

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

I would not be interested in a dwelling with only a kitchen and DR on one level, no matter how large and wonderful. For me, it would need at least a very small sitting area in one corner with a TV and stereo system. However, it's your home. How long do you plan to live there?

• avntgardnr
    9 years ago

We just got rid of our living room - I live in a colonial so a little different...main level has large den, LR, DR and kitchen (and a powder room). We knocked down the wall into the DR, made the LR the new DR - which opens to the Kitchen. Den is on the opposite side of the hallway.
    If you made the kitchen with good seating...maybe an island where guests could hang out and enjoy a glass of wine while you cook, or alternatively, make a small sitting area while enlarging the kitchen? Maybe a few club chairs and a small occasional table?
    I was torn but even when we have guests, everyone gathers in the den or bugs me in the kitchen...so I'm hoping it won't affect resale (although I hope to stay here for a very long time) and hope that our new big, open kitchen will only be seen as a plus.

Original Author
    9 years ago

We would easily have enough room for a sitting area in front of a fireplace and large floor to ceiling windows that overlook a sloped back yard with acreage reverting to woodland.

One of the main reasons we need more kitchen room is the tendency for people to gather in/around the very small work triangle to visit and refill glasses while the meal is coming together (we had almost 30 people here for TG, which is what prompted me to start investigating the feasibility) ..... that, and the kitchen needs a do over.

What value would (the collective) you put on advice from a realtor?

Al

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Realtors have differing opinions from each other. Is a realtor advising you to have a separate LR? One of my best friends is a realtor and she advised my to take all the walls down. It also helps by sloping the ceiling and adding skylights. If you open the space, it becomes versatile so long as you do the kitchen wisely. I love my kitchen layout. I planned it for multiple cooks and separation from those needing beverages and sink access. I plan on purchasing a new DR set. I want a cozy and intimate dining space so feel a small diameter round table with several leaves to accommodate 4 to 8 for sit down dinner parties. I have space to add folding tables for large holiday gatherings by moving my couch in front of the picture window which the couch is currently facing. For parties, I have the large island and lots of counter space and seating areas on the main floor and large sectional in the lower level family room. Our fireplace and ginormous TV is in the family room. Our quad has nice flow for entertaining. I'm not finished with our remodel, but here's an idea of our 24x 24 space.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I grew up in split levels - quads and even a quint if that is what you call 5 levels
    They all had a kitchen, DR and Living room on the main level. They all had a a FR down one level.
    I love what Bbtrix did with her main level.
    What was missing from our main levels were a bathroom- even a half bath would be nice.
    When DM had her hip replacement, she had to go up or down stairs to use a bathroom.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Ditto on the bathrooms. We have three, a master, full at the top of the stairs and powder at the bottom. My DM lived with me her last year of life and even though she was told to never do the stairs alone, she did. These are not disability friendly homes!

Here's our "before" floor plan after day two demo.

• Disaster28
    9 years ago

Like bbtrix we opened up the 'main' floor of our split level and we also left a dining area and a living room area. I would think that making that whole level only kitchen would be one crazy huge kitchen and probably a negative when it comes to re-sale if that's your concern. But if its for yourself and only yourself then do what you think is best for your family. We were told not to open up our main floor (too open, can see the kitchen from the front door etc) but it works the best for our family.

Plus you could always call your small sitting area a living room anyways:)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

How many square feet is that kitchen/dining floor? Is there enough room for kitchen, dining and small seating area?