Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountainmusings

Are pull out shelves a must have accessory?

mountainmusings
15 years ago

Is it worth the extra $$ upgrading to double pull out shelves in all applicable base cabinets? Do any of you choose to go with standard base cabinets without roll out shelving? If so, any regrets?

Comments (26)

• furletcity
    15 years ago

I had a very limited budget for my entire renovation, but I did get the roll-outs for my larger base cab. I'm really glad I did. I store my electric fry pan, large oval iron roaster, serving platters, etc on them. From reading many posts here, many others are very, very happy with all drawers below, and prefer them over base cabs. That wasn't an option for me, so the pull-out was ideal.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

Depends on how much your cab co. is charging. But to me, they are worth a whoooooooooooooooole lot.

OTOH, they can be retrofitted. It's very hard to turn a door base into a drawer base, but adding pull out shelves is quite do-able. So don't be bummed out if they aren't in the budget *right now*.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

I've owned 3 homes and NEVER had a pullout or large, deep drawer in the base cabinets. My current design for my totally NEW kitchen in my forever home (we've been here 9 years) has only drawers or base cabinets with pullouts. I'm short and I am sooo tired of getting down on my knees and disappearing into my cabinet to get what I need. So for ME in this new space, they are not an accessory. Within my budget, granite is an accessory, a fancy backsplash is an accessory...it's all about YOU and how you function in your kitchen.

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

Get drawers instead! Ask for pricing of cabinets with pull-outs vs cabinets with drawers and see what the difference is. Drawers may be less. And the after-market shops like Lee's Valley may be a lot more cost effective than your cabinet company.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

If you're asking whether pullouts are a must-have over the stationary shelves (and sometimes fixed half-shelves) that come in standard base cabinets....then the answer, IMHO, is a resounding yes!!!

If you cannot afford them now, be sure, at least, that you have full-depth shelves in your base cabinets so you can later retro-fit pullouts since I think most that are purchased separately are "bottom mounted" glides (meaning they're mounted on a shelf).

However, I really think that it would be better to cut costs elsewhere so you can afford the pullouts now. Many things can be postponed (like a backsplash) or done less expensively now and easily upgraded later (like an expensive faucet or hardware) to enable you to afford to spend the money on things that are either not as easy to do/upgrade later or be as functional or nice if done later. Personally, I think pullout shelves fall into the latter category as do, btw, drawers.

BTW...in my cabinet line base cabinets with pullout shelves were more expensive than drawer bases. So, do some research. Most people here will tell you that drawers are even better than pullout shelves!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I really dislike pullouts and would only have them for specific needs (like where you'll be storing a heavy small appliance). Otherwise, they cost money, take up space, things fall off the sides and back while pulled out, etc.

Drawers are far superior if you can do them most places.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Hmmm....After reading RHome's response, I realized that I sounded like I was coming down on the side of pullouts over drawers....I'm not...I also agree that drawers are far superior to pullout shelves. I have one cabinet w/2 pullout shelves that I really regret...I didn't think about it when we added it after the other cabinets. It's our Pet Center and I really wish I had done a "trash pullout" type pullout for the dog food & treats w/drawer above.

What makes mine even worse, and others as well I expect, is that it has two doors to open before pulling out the shelves!

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

In my former kitchen I remodeled and put in a large pantry with pull-outs and was pleased. I stored appliances and very large mixing bowls in it and that worked well. That said.....

I am planning my new space with all my base cabinets as drawers. As buehl said, they are less expensive than the roll-outs. Also, one motion (open drawer) as opposed to two (open door, pull-out roll-out) I find easier (I also won't have to deal with the open cabinet door and my kids not opening it all the way when they try to pull-out the roll-out). I also like that I am less likely to have items spill out of the drawers than spill off of the roll-outs. I am planning on storing storage containers (Rubbermaid - and their annoying lids) in the drawers and had problems with them going AWOL in the pull-outs in my last kitchen.

This will also give me flexibility so when I realize what I originally want to store in that cabinet won't work, it won't be a problem to store something else there.

As other posters have noted, spend your budget wisely - doing a backsplash later, changing faucets are easier to do than being annoyed that you didn't get the pull-outs/drawers when you purchased your cabinets and won't be able to get them later.

• zelmar
    15 years ago

Yes!

When planning our kitchen I thought of any add on as a "luxury." Now that I've been working in a more functional space than I could ever have imagined, I think we have to start thinking of some of these upgrades as "must haves"---as "must have" as the small utensil drawers that come standard in most base cabinets. If you think about it, it would be cheaper to have a cabinet without a drawer and we could keep all our small stuff on baskets on a shelf in the cabinet. Pull outs help make the kitchen efficient and will be worth their cost in saved time over the years you have in the kitchen.

Not counting our sink cabinets, we have 3 base cabinets that have something other than pull outs or drawers. One has slots for trays, muffin tins, etc. Another is only a 13" deep cabinet for cookbooks and small mixing bowls and colanders. And the 3rd is a regular dpeth cabinet with a fixed (but adjustable in height) shelf. I wanted to maximize the space in this cabinet and I keep small, rarely used items in the back and large mixing bowls in the front. 95% of the time I just have to open the door and reach in to grab a bowl. The other 5% of the time (or less), I only have to remove one thing (the stack of mixing bowls) to reach the stuff behind. We have inset cabinets and the pull outs do waste a lot of space but are well worth it.

I love having a lot of drawers, as is often touted on this forum. But I also like having base cabinets with doors mixed in since I feel these are more flexible for future itmes that I may want to incorporate in my kitchen. Pull outs can always be taken out (or in many cases adusted in spacing--height) but the overall dimensions of a drawer can't be changed. As an example, perhaps some day I'll wish that I had a space to keep a large canning pot handy during the late summer/early fall. I plan to be here for a long time and want some flexibility for the future.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

Pullouts or drawers - I think one or the other is a must have if you can possibly fit it in the budget. I always used to have to get down on my hands and knees and dig around and pull things out to get to what I wanted in my lower cabinets. I'd hate to ever have to go without pullouts again. I have some drawers and some pullouts. I do like the drawer advantages others mention but I also don't really have a problem with pullouts. I've never had anything fall off the back or sides and it's really not a huge burden to open a door then pull. One thing I do like about my pullouts is that they're adjustable for taller/shorter storage and that has been useful in some situations.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

Great thread! I started out with more pullouts and kept eliminating them in favor of drawers as I organized on paper each and every base. My elevations now show all drawers except pullouts for small appliance storage, trash and step stool, and hutch pantry base. Cookie sheets, pizza stones, etc. will be special pullout designed by GC/Kd. Don't mean for this to be me, me, me, really intended to show the evolution of design b/c of the knowledgeable folks here.

I have learned so much from this forum!! Things I think will be expensive don't always turn out to be either.

• madeyna
    15 years ago

I think its a good idea to keep one cabinet open shelves for odd ball large ideams like crock pots ,bread or pasta machines ect. Mom went all large drawers on bottom and is thinking of having one set taken out because of these issues. I bought pull outs because I knew she was unhappy with all drawers so I wanted the option to easily change things later if needed. But I also have 10 drawers so I haven,t even needed to install the pullouts.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

My cabinetmaker insisted that I needed at least one base cabinet with doors instead of drawers.
    He was wrong. I hate that one cabinet, and would much prefer deep drawers there.

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

I have both deep drawers and pull outs in my kitchen. The drawers are under the range top and are great for pots and pans and other "odd" stuff like the smaller kitchen gadgets that I like.

The pull outs are great for bowls and stoneware and smaller appliances. I also love them because the extend fully and I can see everything that is there.

My fridge even has pull out shelves - so I am for sure an extreme pull out fan.

• maydl
    15 years ago

First, drawers; then pullouts. Maybe one or two regular base cabinets (with adjustable shelves) for tall things.

We did all drawers with only one pullout cabinet under the range-top, and that was because drawers under the range-top wouldn't have aligned with the drawers on either side. The cabinet doors under the range top may be visible in this picture:

And we have only one base cabinet with shelves to hold the cable box and some liquor bottles under the TV/Bar, shown in this picture:

• amylovesbud
    15 years ago

I think it's a wise investment. I've put in all drawers in my bases, except for under the sink which has a pullout in the bottom, and the cabinet that houses the mixer lift.

I'm amazed at how much space I've gained going with frameless cabinets and all drawers in the bases. Other than the drinking glasses, I'm not even sure what I'm going to put in the wall cabinets. And compared to many here, my kitchen is not huge.

I do have walk-in pantries, so I'll have room for small appliances that are too tall for the drawers.

Good luck with your decision.

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

I got both deep, full-extension drawers and pull-outs in my cabs - they didn't cost me extra as they are IKEA. I love the convenience of both. No more bending down or squatting to get something out of a lower cabinet - just pull it out and everything is in front of you. As we get older we appreciate this kind of thing much more as well!

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Just in case you need to hear one more voice saying it: Drawers Drawers Drawers.

It should be pointed out (if it wasn't already) that you do need some place to store tall items, so if you don't have alternative storage where tall things can go, consider one cab with ADJUSTABLE pull outs. Otherwise, go with all drawers. I did and couldn't be happier.

It's worth EVERY penny to have all your storage space be easily accessible. Not only is it easily accessible as far as reaching what you need, it's easy to see what is stored in any particular spot. Can't remember where you put that much needed item that you only use once a year? Open the drawers till you find it. Otherwise, get ready to get down on your hands & knees and shove stuff aside as you crawl into the deepest corners looking for things. Yeah, I've done that too many times.

Get the drawers.

• glad
    15 years ago

i don't have them because they weren't available for a 42" base. It might be a covenience, but I'm fine the way it is.

• shelayne
    15 years ago

We are doing a combination of drawers and pullouts in our kitchen, and since we are doing IKEA cabs (with custom doors), we don't have to pay for the upgrades--it's all standard. You bet we're going to take advantage of every single inch we can!

I can't wait!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Just wanted to mention that like others we have a separate pantry (step-in in our case) that we use to store small appliances and have had absolutely no need for any non-drawer pullouts (even that annoying Pet Center should have been a trash "drawer"!)

Others use their Lazy or Super Susans for tall items and/or small appliances...so that's another site for alternate storage.

We do have two 6" filler pullouts that flank the cooktop, but there were no other options for that space other than filler only. They're useful as well...but not as useful as the drawers! I do store all my sprinkles, etc. for cookies & cakes in one & spices in the other. But, as the shelves are not adjustable I cannot fit oils there....so they're in the pantry w/the canisters, etc.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

In a weird role reversal I became the budget watcher on my Mom's kitchen reno and I tried to reduce the more costly drawers and was turned back on all fronts - every KD we met with was pro drawers (pull out shelves are more hassle and often cost the same as the drawers). We did use the manufacturers pull outs in the pantry and probably could have got something nicer for less after market but I just didn't want to have to install them. At least one KD recommended having one regular base cabinet for oversized objects - didn't happen though she does have an angled base cabine that will hold a couple of things. We ended up putting cookie sheets and trays in the cupboard over the fridge (another KD rec) rather than in a base cabinet.

The middle cabinet on the side run will be a pull out recycle centre. Cabinet straight ahead is a sink base. Back wall has only one other base cabinet with 4 drawers.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

The only rollouts I have are in a pantry cabinet where they have deep enough sides to hold everything. I love them there, but I really don't like them in base cabinets.

I went with pretty nearly all drawers in the rest of the kitchen. Other than my sink bases and a trash pullout, the perimeter is all drawers. The only door cabinets I have are my uppers and the back side of the island. All my small appliances are in those shallow island cabinets -- they are only 13" deep, but they hold the crockpot, the blender, the waffle iron, etc. all at easy reach. My mixer stays on the counter, but I did test it there in case I wanted to change that someday.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I got all drawers in my new kitchen, except for a trash pull out and under both sink bases. But otherwise, ALL drawers. I love love love the look and functionality of the drawers!! I will say this though. There are many things that cannot easily store in drawers, like infrequently used applinaces (mixer, blender, waffle iron, etc). Also some things like tall bottles of wine or oils may not fit. For me this was not an issue since I made space for taller and bulky stuff in my pantry. But unless you have other spaces to store these larger items, you may need to include a few cabinets with (or without) pull-outs.

• John Wojcik
    8 years ago

@maydl What kind of countertops are they? The red looks like granite, but I can't tell with the darker one.