Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa226_gw

.May i see your tiled backsplashes please

lisa226
16 years ago

Was out all day today....next mission figure out the back splash. Anyone like to share pictures would be appreciated. Especially curious about over stove and how they handled a window over the sink area. THanks again for your help and thoughts...couldnt be doing this without you! Lisa

Comments (34)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

How many ya want? :-)

Be careful what you ask for!! :-)

• msrose
    16 years ago

Wow! Are those photos you've collected or houses you've actually worked on?

Laurie

• ttfweb
    16 years ago

Here is ours, just after we installed it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog Link

• julie7549
    16 years ago

Here's ours, mural behind cooktop and close-up of tiles.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• susan4664
    16 years ago

Here is mine. Its tumbled marble called dark Andino.

• coffeehaus
    16 years ago

You should not miss the Finished Kitchens Blog site with links to Finished Backsplashes slideshow and Inspirational Backsplashes. Plenty of ideas there and you will become wonderfully overwhelmed by the possibilities!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Blog

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

I had not seen the backsplashes slideshows that coffeehaus recommended. Now I have. Very timely for me since we selected tile yesterday. I can't believe what an incredible resource we have here in those 2 slideshows! I printed out photos and wrote notes on them about how I would adapt this and that to my own tiles and backsplash dimensions. This is amazing!

Yet another resource on the forum that is surely underutilized.

• jillypie
    16 years ago

Bill- everytime I see your pics, I wish you could have flown down to SC and done our work. What a craftsmen, no artist you are. And how NOT were the guys who did our work. sigh.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Laurie-- Yes, those are all mine.

Jilly-- I'm sorry yours didn't turn out so well. I don't know where you are in SC, but next time you need tile work done, I DO know someone in Greenville.

Those are pretty much run of the mill. This one was done by a friend of mine up in Washington State:

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are awesome...beautiful backsplashes and great ideas.... Bill..thank you for letting me view your beautiful artwork as I call it,,,, I am off to the slide show.....agian thank you...this is sooooooooo helpful. My window over my sink does not have molding...its a set in window with six inch studs..... so i am not sure how to handle the transition from tile to sheet rock. ..... the store was suggesting "pencil trim" as the tile i was looking at didnt have a end piece in the size that would work. any thoughts on pencil trim??

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Oh, I forgot to say how totally creative and masterfully done I think bill v's work is. Always love seeing it. I'd trust anyone he recommends in someone's locale. Fun to see!

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

Bill,

As I said before, your work is fabulous. Now if you only lived closer to Philly.

A question for you: We have an OTR so when we install our 3x6 subways, I'm assuming we leave a little space at the top so the tile is not touching the bottom of the microwave - correct? If we do leave space, how much space do we leave? We're using 1/16" spacers throughout. Our OTR hangs down below our cabinets by approx. 1.5"

Thanks, and as always...much appreciated.

Deb

Sorry for the hi-jack.

{{!gwi}}

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I'm assuming we leave a little space at the top so the tile is not touching the bottom of the microwave - correct?

You can do this one of two ways-- either pull the microwave down and tile the whole area behind it, which would actually give you a much cleaner look, or you can leave it in place, and cut to it, leaving about a 1/16- 1/8" to be caulked afterward.

• claybabe
    16 years ago

BILL! You have a friend in Washington? Where?

• julier1234
    16 years ago

Our windows come down to the concrete countertop.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

Thanks Bill. And I always enjoy the pics you share.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Claybabe-- I actually have a few in different areas. If you go into the bathrooms forum, Shaughnn is in Seattle.

• elljays
    16 years ago

Bill, that backsplash in Washington is gorgeous!

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Darn. I'm in Spokaloo. I want that backsplash!

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Actually, I believe the girl who did that backsplash is doing alot of her work in Bellingham and Semiahmoo. Now, I don't know hardly anything about where things are up there. I also know she was doing alot of work around Puget Sound a couple of years ago. If any of that sounds anywhere close to you, email me, and I'll give you her contact info.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Oh yeah-- one other thing you should know about that backsplash-- it was made on site. It was NOT store bought. THAT'S an artist.

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Thanks, Bill! Wouldn't you know, we were supposed to move to the Bellingham area 5 years ago and didn't: I guess there would have been some advantages...! I will email you for contact info.

Incredible work and artistry in the on site splash, but doing beautiful tile work and getting it right, every time, like you do leaves me awestruck. I love looking at your work, especially when you generously give us so many to look at as in this thread. THanks :)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

You're very welcome. :-) I'll be looking for the email.

• claybabe
    16 years ago

I just sent it, thank you! :)

• franki1962
    16 years ago

• theresab1
    16 years ago

wow what great backsplashes, here is ours we kept it very simple given how much movement was in our granite its a sandstone tile in 3x6 size:

• glassman
    16 years ago

Here is our 2/3 backspash. It carries the painted wall color under the cabinets so that the tile doesn't dominate. Also, except for the slate tiles behind the cooktop, none of the joints are groated.

• Mick Mick
    16 years ago

This is a great thread. Glassman, I really like yours and I am thinking about swiping your idea. :)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I would strongly advise against going with ungrouted joints.

• suska6184
    16 years ago

Here's mine above my cooktop...

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

Here's ours

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

Bill, I can always tell which pics are yours even before checking to see who posted :-)

Mari

• lobotome
    16 years ago

I saw that you mentioned having a window that doesn't have molding... just like mine.

We have a stainless pencil molding (I don't know if that's what it's called) around the window.

My tile is an odd sized glazed stone which was set in a subway style. Rather than stop at the bottom third of the window over the sink, I decided that the tile treatment should go right to the ceiling. It works well when the cabinets also are ceiling height.

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/Loboto-Me/Kitchen%20reno/P1010017-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/Loboto-Me/Kitchen%20reno/P1010027-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/Loboto-Me/Kitchen%20reno/P1010021-1.jpg[/IMG]

• lobotome
    16 years ago

Sheesh the first try didn't work