Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missz_gw

This might be a silly question but...

missZ
11 years ago

... what is the value of having an oven in a wall unit, and the cooktop on a separate counter, as opposed to an "all-in-one" oven/stove?

I don't think I've ever had or used one of the wall versions, and so I'm not totally clear on what the benefits are. I guess not having to bend over, okay... but surely there are others? What about resale, or how it all fits into a kitchen design - are there benefits there? Is the wall unit considered more "high-end"? (Excuse my oven ignorance!)

Comments (31)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

A number of benefits...ovens can be used less often so having them separate from the cooktop allows for storage to be added in the more convenient space. So, for example I have pots and pans under my cooktop where it's convenient rather than an oven. And the oven can be located in a less convenient location.

Also, having ovens separate allows for more than one...I have one under my island and one in the wall.

It allows you to have different sized pieces...so I have one 27" and one 30" oven and a 36" cooktop...hard to do with a single appliance.

It allows for different fuels...like a gas cooktop and electric oven...though some one piece units do use 2 different fuels.

If you're fussy, it allows you to pick different manufacturers for the different parts...I have a GE induction cooktop but a viking oven.

Another one is the "look". The separate freestanding range with oven does not give as integrated a look to the kitchen as the separate pieces do.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

For me it is just personal preference.

Some people love the look of the professional range. I'm not one of them.

I prefer having wall ovens because I don't like having the ovens on the floor.

I don't like standing over hot ovens while I'm at the stove.

I love having drawers with my pots and pans stored under the cooktop.

If someone is at the stove, they aren't in the way if the ovens need to be accessed.

I thought I was going to have to get a range because of layout issues. That would have been a concession because I really prefer the separate cooktop and wall ovens.

• lindabiddle
    11 years ago

I find that having a wall oven helps in the cooking flow. Everyone in my house helps cook, especially company dinners. With a separated oven and cook top, someone mans the oven while someone else handles the cook top. No more having to stop stirring the sauce while someone checks to see if the roast or rolls are done. I'm not sure about high end or resale value, but for me it feels like a luxury to not have everyone crowded into the same small area where the stove is located.

• cooksnsews
    11 years ago

One piece ranges are the norm in smaller modest kitchens. With wall ovens, you sacrifice counter space which is a big concern in small spaces. Also, separate ovens and cook tops are much more expensive than ranges of similar quality.

Just a few other things to keep in mind when choosing appliances.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

boy, those are more reasons than I'd have thought of...

I do like the wall oven so i don't have to bend down to put in/take out or check on stuff. I seldom use an oven anymore so I won't spend the extra $s to have one. Wish I could - even in my rather small kitchen.

I do think anyone who can, should - you all listed a LOT of good reasons to have one.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Of course the reasons not to have separate wall ovens are there, too.

Convenience of uniting all heat functions in one place so moving a dish from stove top to oven doesn't require carrying it anywhere. (Think sear roasts, keeping things warm in an oven, making gravy from roasting pan, etc.)

Allows for ventilation equipment used for range top to also efficiently ventilate smells, heat and to some extent smoke or grease created by roasting or broiling. (Think broiling meat or garlic, high-heat roasting, etc. This is less important if all you ever do with your oven is bake cookies, because who wants to vent the smell of cookies? But for garlicky broiled shrimp, yup, I definitely do not want to smell that the next morning - even if I gobbled it up the night before!)

It used to be that ovens had broilers stuck down in their lowest compartments. Maybe some ranges still do, but many have the broiler in the top of the oven cavity and in general ovens are not nearly as low as they used to be. Some have racks which glide out. I only have a range and I never have issues with it being too low, but do like sliding the rack out and looking down into the pot.

Ranges with ovens are generally cheaper than a cooktop and wallovens.

I disagree with the notion that a range looks less integrated than a cooktop with separate ovens. It all depends on the model.

The one caveat with a cooktop/wall oven set-up: don't separarte by more than a step or two. Too often they seem to get parked half-way across the kitchen. That, to me, would be a big PITA!

HTH
    L.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

The reasons mentioned for having wall ovens are good ones, but I could not disagree more that ranges are for smaller, more modest kitchens.

I find it tends to be an age thing. A lot of younger people love the look of a beautiful range. Some older people like not having bend down to put things in the oven and prefer wall ovens. I find them dated looking and infinitely prefer having a range so all our cooking is done in the same place. I would not classify our kitchen as either small or modest.

It's like anything else - down to personal preference.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I agree on less bending.
    Also, I fired one KD who kept putting the cooktop and range in the end zones. (And for other reasons).
    This is my first wall oven since I was a kid and glad I made room for it.
    I went with a wall oven and Advantium. It has been working great!

• northcarolina
    11 years ago

One other note: freestanding ranges come in standard sizes, so they are easy to replace down the road without having to make any changes to cabinetry or countertops. That is not necessarily the case with slide-in ranges, cooktops, and wall ovens, which might require rebuilding of a cabinet opening or replacing/recutting a countertop when they need to be changed out. The trade-off is that freestanding ranges have a little gap between the side of the range and the countertop; you don't get a seamless installation with them. (They do have a small lip so liquids don't run off the edge.)

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd go with a range because of venting and proximity of cooktop to oven. I also like the look of a range. I'm lucky, though, and in the reno got a range plus a single wall oven. Best of both worlds! I'm really looking forward to having an extra oven this Thanksgiving!

• mrspete
    11 years ago

Yes, the reasons for using a separate cooktop and oven(s) are very valid, and I'll throw out one more: If your cooktop goes bad, you don't have to replace your oven(s) as well. In contrast, if the cooktop on your range needs replacing, you are forced to replace the oven as well.

However, those conveniences come with a cost: Separate items will add up to at least twice the cost of a single range. A cooktop alone costs almost as much as a moderately priced range -- and you still have the oven(s) to buy. So, simple finances limit many people to ranges.

Also, don't overlook the new ranges that have double ovens (one being very small -- appropriate, perhaps, for pizza or a casserole, but not for roasting a turkey).

And don't forget that if you need that extra oven JUST for Thanksgiving, a large countertop oven can be had for less than $50 and can cook a huge turkey. I received one as a gift a couple years ago, and although it stays in the attic most of the time (in the new kitchen, it'll move into the pantry), it does cook well.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

Fouramblues, we did the same thing ... we have a range that has a double oven like MrsPete talks about. We also have a single wall oven with a microwave above it. And, we use the small top oven on the range more than either of the other two !!

http://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/Whirlpool%3BFreestanding%3BElectric%3BOven%3BRanges/N~25+4294967279+4294965532

• missZ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, okay, I understand this a lot better now. My kitchen is on the small side so a range makes more sense for us personally, but I didn't really understand what the benefits were of the wall oven or whether this was something I should be trying to squeeze in. Thanks for the replies everyone!

• aimskitchen
    11 years ago

My kitchen is also on the small side, so as we're planning this remodel, we've gone back and forth about this question. We currently have 27" double wall ovens and an antiquated 4-burner cooktop, and have been looking to maximize both our counter space and the performance of our little workhorse of a kitchen. As others have said, the range option can be much more cost effective, and there are some lovely ranges. I also liked the idea that if we made a significant investment in a range, I could take it with me if we move. However, we realized that a cooktop and double wall ovens are a better choice for us because:
    - I bake and cook everything from scratch, and am quite spoiled to cooking multiple things, at different temperatures. Double ovens (bigger this time) allow me to do that, and double oven ranges didn't offer enough oven space for me.
    - I love NOT cooking over a hot oven.
    - We have a nook in our kitchen that'll be a great home for the wall ovens, freeing up counter space.
    - This allows me the size cooktop I most want, independent of oven choice.
    - I like not having to bend SO far down to reach the bottom racks of my lower oven. Maybe silly, but I love the wall ovens.
    I'm sure you will find what works best for you, in your space, and if it's well designed, I don't think it'll make a big difference in resale.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I too object to the view that ranges belong in smaller modest kitchens. My previous kitchen only had usable counter space that measured 2x4. In my new expanded kitchen it was all about the counter and I wasn't giving up one inch of counter space for a wall oven. I don't regret that decision at all. My range does have 2 ovens which I use.

• laughablemoments
    11 years ago

After reading Rhome's saga of oven woes, I feel more "safe" with buying a range rather than a wall oven. For our family, it makes more economic sense. If ever a range dies, it can easily be replaced with another standard range. Sadly, this isn't necessarily the case with a wall oven.

We have a double oven range, and I really do appreciate having the two different sized ovens. Even with a large family, we often use the smaller oven for many of our everyday baking tasks since it will hold a 9x13 pan or 2 pans of muffins. The big oven is what we use for baking 5 loaf batches of bread, roasting turkeys, baking up bushels of squash to freeze, etc.

Another option if someone wants a smaller oven for everyday tasks without going for a double oven range would be the Breville one I've learned about through GW. I think this is the one: http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV800XL-1800-Watt-Convection-Toaster/dp/B001L5TVGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352920886&sr=8-1&keywords=breville+oven

I have to say there are many compelling reasons to choose wall ovens, though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhome's Wall Oven Saga

• missZ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Double oven range? I did not even know such a thing existed. That sounds amazing, but then I guess you wouldn't be able to fit the really big stuff in, like the turkey? Or do they just take up the space that would normally be used to store racks or trays below?

We have a small toaster oven that we use constantly (after getting used to it when our last oven broke, I can cook whole meals in that thing). I would love to have the counterspace back by putting that functionality in an oven... would the benefits be similar?

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

missZ-I think a turkey would still fit - note the storage drawer is gone so that is where they get that extra space from for the smaller oven. :) I don't have one....yet....still kicking around options and then there is that pesky budget. I really think it would be useful for me but weighing pros and cons and cost. Not sure what we'll end up with.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

missZ, my sister has a 30" double oven dual fuel range similar to this one.

She doesn't really cook so I cook Thanksgiving dinner for the family when I'm visiting. I've cooked 20+ lb turkeys in her oven and it worked great. She's had hers for over 5 years now and loves it. Her kitchen is tiny and this range made cooking so much easier for me. Did I mention she doesn't like to cook? lol

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Not having to bend over is a biggie for me! Hefting a 20 lb turkey that almost sits on the floor is more than this 50-something wants to handle. I love having the oven and rangetop separate.

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

poohpup-sooooo what do you think about having to bend so far to use the lower oven (since you seem to have more experience with it than your sis) ????????? I think we'd mostly use the upper but will definitely need to use the lower on occasion for larger things and it feels really low to the ground... ???

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Autumn, if you're asking me personally what do I think? I don't like having my ovens so low. I love my double wall ovens. But for someone with a small kitchen, like my sister, who doesn't cook a lot, it works great. The upper oven is plenty big for most items. I think it was the perfect choice for her.

If it was mine, I definitely could manage and it would be doable. I've hauled 20lb turkeys it and out of it and have managed. The upper oven is plenty tall enough to bake a casserole, but not tall enough to handle a loaf pan. It was a HUGE step up from her previous 30" range with a single oven. If I was limited space wise to a 30" range and wanted double ovens, I'd definitely go this route.

• sayde
    11 years ago

If you're in an older house (or a period style newer house) and it matters to you to have your kitchen look consistent with the older style, then you would get a range.

It mattered to me, and I got a range. I chose the Blue Star both because of the Garland style burners and its appearance-- it just worked in my 1927 house and kitchen.

• spagano
    11 years ago

I like the wall oven and cooktop look simply because it's what I grew up with. Once I moved out on my own I lived in rentals and houses that all had ranges. I'm just not a fan. I found it harder to keep them clean (stuff dripping down the sides). I do like the way professional ranges look but again, drippy sides :( (Ummm....this could be an OCD thing). I currently have a double oven and a 5-burner gas cook top. I love both of them but in my next kitchen may look at getting two separate wall ovens as the double ovens are awkward for me (I'm 5'3") My one must-have piece of advice is self-cleaning!!

• mountaineergirl
    11 years ago

I grew up with a wall oven, had one in the house DH owned when we married for 9 years, and I STILL prefer a range. The range I have now has 2 ovens, with the second smaller one on the bottom. It's and E-lux induction range. I love love it.

The wall oven at home when growing up opened to the side. the ones today all seem to open downward, and I'm afraid of burning my arm. Is that weird??

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

sorry for the mini high jack missz.....thank you poohpup - that is exactly what I wanted to know. I do wonder about all that bending down to the ground as I age. I think I have room for it, but the budget is more of the issue. Need to start sweet talking hubby now I think and maybe by the time we build in 2 years I can get him swayed. :)

• laughablemoments
    11 years ago

We picked up our double oven range on Craigslist. Just saw 2 more on there a few weeks ago. It's a good place to check if you're budget is snug.

Watch the racks if you look at the Maytag Gemini. Mine are wimpy, wimpy, wimpy. The wires are thin and spaced 2" apart. Yes a 20 lb. turkey will fit in the oven, but the racks are going to bow. Even so, I do still like my stove. I just wish I could change a few of it's quirks!

• angela12345
    11 years ago

MissZ, we also baked a turkey in the bottom oven of our Whirlpool at Thanksgiving last year. At Thanksgiving we had all 3 of our ovens going (if you are reading this, thank you plllog!!). I have not seen the racks in the Gemini, the ones in the Whirlpool seem to be quite hefty. But seriously, when we are there, we use the smaller top oven the most !

• angela12345
    11 years ago

MissZ, we also baked a turkey in the bottom oven of our Whirlpool at Thanksgiving last year. At Thanksgiving we had all 3 of our ovens going (if you are reading this, thank you plllog!!). I have not seen the racks in the Gemini, the ones in the Whirlpool seem to be quite hefty. But seriously, when we are there, we use the smaller top oven the most !

• angela12345
    11 years ago

• angela12345
    11 years ago

Sorry about the triple post. On my end the Internet was giving me problems. I didn't realize this went thru 3 times.