Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acountryfarm

Help...Please show pics of your creamy white kitchens

acountryfarm
15 years ago

So to all you creamy white kitchen owners. Please share pics.

I have honed, black countertops w/ creamy cabs. Black islands topped with Carrera. Do I have last minute angst? I am just not feeling good when I walk in the kitchen. This is what I have dreamed of and planned for. Will it change with light. I am crestfallen. I walked in to the kitchen today with all the paper off and the paint done and just felt.... well not really pleased. What is my problem ???

I also meant to take pics but left camera in other car. Will share soon though.

Please share pics, I know there are a lot of you with similar combinations.

I just need some reassurance, hope thats all it is.

Comments (37)

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

acountryfarm, I am so sorry you're feeling this way. Maybe it's the kitchen renovation equivalent of post-partum blues. Or maybe your renovation is not 100% complete, and you're missing those minor, key elements (light fixtures, backsplash?) that really brings it all together. I can't imagine you could go wrong with the black honed countertops and creamy cabs. (I hope not, since that's what I'm planning!) I would love to see pics.

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

victoriajane-- I am certainly missing all the key elements & am hoping thats all it is. I so want to not feel this way and will drive to new house tomorrow & try & gain some perspective.

I am positive that this combination is classic & beautiful, I just don't know why I am not feeling it in my kitchen.

• jeanar
    15 years ago

I'm saving my pictures for the Grand Reveal to everyone, but will tell you that it is amazing how much more comfortable I became after our trim was added and painted. Then my DH bought a red/black coffeemaker yesterday and put it on the countertop and that really made a difference too. I think you'll like it once you sit with it for awhile.

FWIW, I've yet to see anyone with the same color scheme as mine, but it sounds like yours is going to be. We also have cream perimeter with dark counters (soapstone) and a black island with a light counter (bianco romano). I just ordered backsplash tile last week, so that'll be a month before it comes in and goes on. Otherwise, we're about done. It's a race to the finish!

-Jeana

• janefan
    15 years ago

I haven't posted pix yet (waiting on two doors/drawers that came yesterday) and I don't have the same combo as you--I have all white cabs, with carrara on the perimeter and a chocolate brown granite on the island. However, there are days when I walk in and love, love, love my space and there are days when I stand in the doorway and wonder if other people see it and think it's weird--or wonder why on earth I chose the finishes I chose, or the lighting, or the backsplash, etc. I do think you cannot get too wrapped up in how you're feeling until it's all completely done. By the way, (and not to sound like a stalker!) whenever I see that you've posted photos in a thread I get excited because I think your space is going to be wonderful and I love seeing it in progress.

• mpeg
    15 years ago

acountryfarm,

I don't have creamy white cabinets but I have considered a color scheme just like yours. I have anxiety that I will end up feeling just like you about my kitchen. So I hope you get a lot of responses to this and some suggestions that will help. Please post pictures.

You didn't mention what your backsplash and paint colors are. I think those things make a "HUGE" difference when you have the classic black & white or cream kichen. It is a very classic look.

Just adding the right paint, accessories, window treatments should really help your space. Also adding texture helps. That is one reason I was asking the question on this forum about what makes a white kitchen right. Because they do need certain elements to look right to me.

Hang in there! I'm sure you'll get some help on this issue, especially if you post pictures.

• mdmc
    15 years ago

I don't have the same granite as you (we chose Santa Cecilia and used it on both) but I do have white cabinets with a cherry island. I love the look.

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I so appreciate everyone responding.

Here are the facts.
    -SW Dover white cabs &trim
    -AB Hone granite on perimeters/ white cabs
    -black island, baking centers/ carrera tops
    -RH's butter on all walls
    -everything is painted
    -Shaw sinks in white
    -white subway backsplashes
    -chrome fixtures

-everything is in except lighting & faucets,
    trim is painted etc.

Like I said, I do think it is classic & beautiful. I am thinking I am just feeling it is too busy with black/white. I am not sure I like the white subway & sinks with the cream walls. I love the cream everywhere else, & do love it in the kitchen. What I am thinking is I need to rip our the subways (which I love), & choose something else.

I am not going to rush. I am going to drive out today, sit, ponder & think. I am a designer , artist, etc & trust my judgement, I just need to work this out in my head.

I think you are all right ....I need to see finished product. However that is one of the things I am good at...seeing the vision & I am not feeling it.

I hope when I go out today I say to myself......" aahhh, I was worried about nothing". Keep your fingers crossed.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

acountryfarm,

Here is a link to Deanna's kitchen in the FKB. She has honed absolute black with SW Creamy painted cabs on the perimeter and bianco toscano on the SW black painted island, white subway tiles backsplash and white shaw sink. Her kitchen is gorgeous. Take a look, I think you will be comforted. Maybe the RH butter is throwing it off. It's easier to change a paint color than to rip out tiles.

http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/2006/01/deanna1949s-kitchen.html

• mpeg
    15 years ago

I think pluckymama has a point the kitchen she submitted was one I have admired. I love the paint colors she used: Wall paint: Ellen Kennon, Ashen Green.

Very fresh looking with the white and black kitchen and might not compete so much with the other cream, white elements in the kitchen. More contrast. Unless that is not a look you like.

Let us know what you decide. I'm sure it will be fine with just a little tweaking. You have all of the basics right.

• jeanar
    15 years ago

Do you like bold colors? I find that most of the kitchens I see, while beautiful, are too bland for me. Perhaps you're right about the subway tile. My kitchen, again almost a duplicate of yours, will have reddish tile. Perhaps you should try putting some colored paper over the backsplash and seeing if that changes things.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I love the idea of the white tiles and sinks with the cream. Deanna's kitchen, linked above, has the green wall paint and also one called 'heneysuckle' which might be close to your butter? I can see how the darker/grayer green is a nicer bridge between the black and white to lessen the contrast jump. Also, lighting will certainly make a difference, as will any textiles or other accessories you add to the space.

I can't remember...is your flooring wood or tile? Light or dark?

I think you're right that you'll figure it out once you gaze at it awhile and see it in different times of day. That's what worked for me a lot of the time.

• User
    15 years ago

Creamy white cabinets with Basalt slate laminate. Close enough to give you a preview?
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    After 28 years with cheap builder's oak cabinets, butcherblock laminate, peel & stick vinyl tiles and an island from Zayre's (a store like Caldor or Walmart), this kitchen makes my heart sing every time I walk through the door. On sunny days I can't help but smile it's so airy and beautiful.

I hope your kitchen makes you just as happy.

• msrose
    15 years ago

acountryfarm - I'm dying to see your kitchen. I've admired the unfinished pictures you've posted in the past and I just can't imagine it not being gorgeous.

Laurie

• callaloo
    15 years ago

Here's mine -- the cabinet color is called "oyster". I've got Silestone Green River countertops, which tend to read black. The floors are cork. The second photo (which was taken before the valance and wallpaper border were removed) shows the backsplash, which is a biscuit colored quarry tile with a biscuit/terra cotta/green quarry tile mosaic accent strip).

• lissa711
    15 years ago

My cabinets are white with a brown glaze which makes them kind of a cream color. My island is dark brown rather than your black. My countertops on the perimeter are also honed absolute black.

I think a black and white kitchen needs some other colors thrown in so it's not just the black vs. white. I love that bright green on one of the posters walls. That could be used for accents. I also think blue, both light blue and navy blue look really good with black and white. You have a lot of flexibility with your neutral palette.

• msrose
    15 years ago

Any pictures yet?

Laurie

• msrose
    15 years ago

bump

• vwhippiechick
    15 years ago

Here's mine. We have Mouser Cabinets in "creme" with soapstone counters. I'm sure your vision will come together. It's definitely a process - I'm still working on mine. Good luck.

• mama2c
    15 years ago

I have no doubt that your kitchen is absolutely beautiful from the way you've described it. However, I also think it might be the RH Butter that's throwing you off. Would you consider a different wall color? Because that may be enough to give the finishes a whole different look. The Butter may be bringing out the creaminess of the cabs which is bothering you with your backsplash. I love green with your color scheme, but I'm biased. I just painted my kitchen BM Grecian Green and I *love* it. I have a green kitchen in every house I live in though, so like I said, I'm biased.

• southern_2008
    15 years ago

lissa711--Love your kitchen and especially love your countertop on your island! Is it marble? What is it? I have been searching high and low and the contractor is waiting on me to make a decision on countertop and I found it in your kitchen. Please let me know what this is.

Any more up close pics of it? Please reply soon! ;)

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mama2c -- I have definitely thought about the paint & am thinking the very same thing. The pcs surely show me that the butter makes everything yellower. I do not know now what I will do. I am considering a different color, however everything else is butter and we absolutely can't repaint everything. The kitchen walls run into some other walls so it is difficult to decide where to paint and where not to.
    Here are some new pics. The butter looks fine elsewhere , but in the closer confines of the kitchen it all seems to run together. I am looking for new paint asap.

center>

Here are a few other pics , so you can see the rooms close to kitchen.

• tyguy
    15 years ago

Its going to be gorgeous.

• budge1
    15 years ago

You walk into THAT kitchen and you're not feeling good?

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I agree with budge. I think it looks gorgeous just the way it is. As others have said, I would wait until it is finished and you are moved in before you start making changes. I think it as absolutely beautiful kitchen!

• kimberlysc
    15 years ago

Beautiful beautiful kitchens. My husband and I plan on remodeling my mother in laws house (who passed away this May) next year. She has very nice wood cabinets in her kitchen. I have a thing for white kitchens but am afraid if we change all the cabinets that it will be a fortune. We have so much that needs to be done to this house. Any ideas on how to incorporate some white? Right now there is vinyl on the kitcen floor and I believe a pine floor underneath. Not sure the condition of the pine but if it's nice we might have the pine floor. I'm thinking all your going to see in the kitchen is wood, wood, wood. On top of that her kitchen table is maple, again more wood. I need some color.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

acountryfarm,
    Your kitchen is amazing, but I agree that the butter is not the right color for it. It is too yellow for the marble and cabs. As much as a nuisance it will be to change, it is paint and can be changed. Still, it is one of the most gorgeous kitchens I have seen.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I'm not into yellow any more (used to be and I think I got myself tired of it), but I think it does work with the cabinets and counter because it has enough contrast. If you like it, it looks great. If you don't, painting is relatively cheap and easy...Emphasis on 'relatively.' ;-D

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

acountryfarm,
    I saw this on the decorating forum and wondered if this Tobacco Road color might give you some depth to the yellow but still stay in that color family. Here is a link. Scroll halfway down and the dining room is painted Duron Tobacco Road.

http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/search?q=tobacco+road

• gobruno
    15 years ago

Lissa 711, I was wondering if the french door by your range was an outswing or inswing? We will have a similar set up and right now I planned the door to be outswing (although I'd like it to be inswing) because I thought it would be a problem to have the door swing into the cabinets along the wall. Have you had a problem with this?

Thanks!

• nwpepper
    15 years ago

acountryfarm, so happy to see the progress you're making. All the painted trim looks so pretty! I would wait until everything is done and your floors are uncovered - aren't they travertine? Its such a beautiful and light space!

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are all so wonderful. Thanks for the positive words. I am definitely waiting until paper is up and light fixtures are installed. I did feel better when I walked in last time, but it is still not quite right.
    I will work this out & am really thinking the best bet will be to be patient and see it with the floors. They are travertine and that could change everything. The truth is there is so little yellow space in the kitchen it will be fairly easy to repaint.
    I am anxious to get fixtures in. They finish paint today. It should move right along now. I will continue to post pics. Thanks again for your continuing support.

Kimberly

• Marcia B
    15 years ago

Kimberly ~ love all your trim work! I think your kitchen looks great! Lighting makes a huge differance! We are just finishing an 18 month build and its so hard to put everything together!!!

Here are a few pix of my creamy white kitchen
    {{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1596267}}

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

I am in love with all of these creamy white kitchen photos posted! Its getting ridiculous - everytime I see a new photo I think I should have done that! (I'm still in the process of a DIY remodel and I waiver over decisions I've made after I see these wonderful rooms.)

Kimberly - I think your kitchen will be beautiful and you should wait until all the pieces are in before making a final decision on your wall color. You may be very happy with the color you have now once you see the room put together.

• minette99
    15 years ago

Soooo awesome! This is beautiful. DREAMY beautiful... My vote is to wait until "lights, camera, action!"

I can't wait to see this finished...

• sarahnc
    15 years ago

It is STUNNING! Seriously perfect. I hope after some time you can remember why you chose such beautiful things. :)

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess it is a case of " I am my own worst critic". Seriously, I appreciate the comments.
    I will say this..... I am one grateful women for this house & this kitchen. We have been in 2200 sq. ft. with 9 children still at home for the last several years. With all the problems this house has been I will probably cry rivers the day we move in.
    I So understand that in the grand scheme of life, these are issues that are the least important.
    That being said, we have invested much of our soul into this project and I do want it to be right. I am going to wait & will see how it feels after lights & paper comes off.
    I assure you, you are all invited for one big bash when this is finished. I think I will have room.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

acountryfarm,
    9 children in a 2200 sq.ft. home being homeschooled and your old white kitchen still looked new! If anyone can use and enjoy this kitchen it is you and your family. For all of us looking at the amazing photos, this kitchen is beyond our wildest dreams, but for you who poured all you could into it, you were expecting a certain feeling and it isn't there for you.

It may be living with it, in it's current beauty, gives you the time and insight to change what it is that denies you that total satisfaction with your project, but I understand you're wanting to figure it out before you all settle in and everyone says "Mom, can we be done with the kitchen now?" (At least that is what my kiddos are saying).

We are all here for you, if you want to change something, but if you don't be reassured, yours is one amazingly gorgeous kitchen! The magazines are waiting to snap pics of this one.