Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quesera1970_gw

cabinet height for 8 1/2 foot ceilings

quesera1970
10 years ago

Our kitchen has 8 1/2 foot ceilings (rest of house has 9...). Our current cabs are only 30" and leave tons of unused space and we have no moulding.

A basic plan would entail 42" cabs, leaving about 6-8" of moulding to the ceiling--does that sound right? a little big? I also love the look of a second row of smaller upper cabinets with glass, but not sure we could fit them (or afford them). We haven't chosen cabinets yet--in part the decision rests on what height would be best and what options there are in our price range (we are getting quotes but budget 7k for a 10 x 12 kitchen--Ikea would be 4k).
Also, I have seen some tall cabinets with an upper door that is glass--does anyone know who makes these ? Maybe a 48" cabinet with an upper door in glass? but then we'd have perhaps room just for a 2" picture rail type moulding. Also, we will have cabinets primarily on one wall only, an adjacent wall might have room for one, but then there's the frig and pantry, which would need to match the height somehow (adding a box on top?).

TIA for your thoughts.

Comments (10)

• angela12345
    10 years ago

We have 42" cabinets and I love them. I also had my cabinets installed 19.5" above the counter with a 1.5" lightrail, to give us a true 18" from the counter. I think 48" with only 2" moulding would not look as good as 39" or 42" with the larger moulding.

Another thing I recommend, if it is an option in your cabinet line, is to go with deeper upper cabinets. If your uppers are 14" or 15" deep instead of 12" deep, you have room for another row of glasses deep. Also, there are some large mixing bowls and other things that just barely will not fit in 12" deep cabinets.

• deedles
    10 years ago

If you want the look of small uppers, several people have done this: have your 42" doors be made to look like 2 doors and have the upper part made to accept glass. I'd probably go 30" for the lower 'door' and 12" for the upper 'door'. Just want to stay close to 2/3 lower part and 1/3 upper part of the total height.

• quesera1970
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Angela12345, do you have any problem 'banging' your head against the deeper cabinets? I mean, does it reduce the usuable work space on the counter? I think we probably could go deeper.

Deedles, I like the idea of 42" uppers with glass. I'm afraid this is starting to rule out our cheapest option--Ikea!

• deedles
    10 years ago

you could go ikea for the cabs and drawer fronts and barker for the upper doors and paint them to match the cabs.

• angela12345
    10 years ago

Nope, no one that I know of has ever bumped their head into the deeper upper cabinets. And part of them are over our prep sink where people normally would have no upper cabinets, or would have the upper cabinets raised higher over the sink section.

We have 15" deep uppers over our prep sink (which is the sink I use most of the time anyway), 16" deep including doors. It is 18.25" to the bottom of our light rail (20" to the actual cabinet). I have never had an issue with it hitting my head or any other issues.

I was nervous to do this over my sink, but went to see a friend in NYC during our build. He had no raised area for head room and there was no issue there either, so that convinced me it would be ok. I don't remember if his were 15" deep, or standard 12" deep. But he is over 6 feet tall. I am 5'3" and my hubby is 5'10".

The left & right cabinets are 12" deep and 42" high. The middle two cabinets are 15" deep and 45" high.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

By my reckoning with 36" counters and 18" space between cab and counter, you have 48" to work with.

For IKEA you could do 30" cabs topped with 15" cabs with very minimal (3") trim at the top. BUT -- IKEA doesn't make shortie cabs with glass in them, except horizontal cabs which won't line up with your regular 30" uppers below (dimensions aren't exactly the same) and of course would be really hard to close with a door handle right at the ceiling when open.

Here is a rendering of IKEA 15 over 30 from http://www.ikeakitchendesignonline.com/

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

If you go away from IKEA, my personal favorite is the single door with a glass panel right at the very top (as opposed to split doors). I don't know if these look high end, low end, or what, but I think they look simple and practical while still giving some glass-display space.

From This Old House:

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I much prefer a single cabinet over stacked, from a practical standpoint rather than aesthetic. A single cabinet allows you more flexibility to position shelves.

• granada222
    10 years ago

In general, does the stacked cabinet look help make a kitchen feel taller or shorter, especially if you're talking about 8 foot ceilings? I am pondering how a small glass-front cabinet up top would look if it's right up at ceiling height.

• deedles
    10 years ago

I do wonder if it would look busy? I have 8' ceilings in my current house and I'm trying to picture it. Maybe "10 pounds in a 5 pound bag-esque"?

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert