Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

We got ovens and a fridge today!

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

... and in a few hours I made two corn breads and mashed sweet potatoes to bring to my sister's tomorrow : ) LOVE the smell of food cooking after 5 months!! : )

HAPPY THANKSGIVING GW!!

Comments (29)

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Congrats! Love those double ovens. Happy Thanksgiving.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

How exciting for you! Great looking cabinets.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Oooooh pretty. What's the make and model of your ovens? Counters shmounters who needs them when you can balance your baked goodies like that!

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

I am so jealous. My oven is sitting in the garage waiting for its cabinet to be redone. It's been five weeks....and counting.

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

soooooooooooo cool fishies!!!
    many happy memories to follow :)

• taggie
    11 years ago

Oh that looks awesome! The cabinets, the ovens ... and especially the corn bread.

We had our thanksgiving last month in Canada and I'm on my pre-Christmas diet now which totally sucks. The thought of those mashed sweet potatoes is totally making me drool. Damn diet! Do they have lots of butter? And brown sugar? Yuuummmmmm. I can smell them from here.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, congrats on the ovens, and enjoy your day tomorrow. :-)

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

yum!!! kitchen looks good too!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

that's cool - we can see your food cooking!

enjoy eating it tomorrow!

• vlovil
    11 years ago

How exciting!

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Yahoo!! Beautiful ovens and beautiful cornbread! Perfect timing for Thanksgiving. You're brave setting food on your minimalist counters! lol

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Where's the picture of the fridge??? Love seeing the progress, your ovens look great, congrats on the progress! Best, oldbat2be

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The fridge still has plastic on it b/c it isn't set in right yet. Have to pull out again for water line.

Lights are a bit crooked still- not done being adjusted. Seeing how the height works..

Our Double Oven is the Electrolux Icon Double (Professional Look)
    MODEL NUMBER: E30EW85GPS

We also got the Electrolux Icon Professional Fridge E23BC68JPS ... We were going to get a built in with panels but decided to save some $.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Mashed Sweet Potatoes are an Emeril recipe we LOVE! Instead of putting them in the orange cups I just just put it in a 9 x 13 pan.
    Sometimes I omit the brandy and just drink it while baking! lol

Brandy and Orange-Mashed Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001

Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time:40 min
    Level:
    Intermediate
    Serves:
    8 servings

Ingredients
    7 large sweet potatoes, about 3 pounds
    4 large oranges
    1 stick unsalted butter
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    3 large eggs
    3/4 cup fresh orange juice
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/4 cup brandy
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let rest until just cool enough to handle.

Lower the oven to 350 degrees F.

Make the orange cups by cutting the oranges in half and scooping out the pulp, leaving only the shell. Set aside.

While still somewhat hot, peel the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Discard the skins and tough, stringy fibers. Add the butter, and with an electric mixer, beat out the lumps. Add the sugar, eggs, orange juice, heavy cream, and brandy, and mix until smooth. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and mix well. Re-season, to taste.

Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the orange cups, mounding and smoothing the top. Bake until puffed and slightly golden, about 20 minutes.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

So exciting and yum!
    Those elux ovens are so "sexy" with the blue interiors and 3 gliding racks!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They seem great : ) thanks!!

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

2LittleFishies: Your kitchen is already amazing!! can't wait to see it all! What are your kitchen dimensions??

Happiest Thankgsgiving!!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks go figure!
    The kitchen area is 16' x 16.5'
    The kitchen and dining area (one big room) is 28.5 x 16.5

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Great timing for Thanksgiving dinner! It's really looking good.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Thanks 2LitleFishies!! So much fun to see this coming together. LOVE the stool and how the light streams in.

• hlove
    11 years ago

Wow, the kitchen looks absolutely beautiful!!! Awesome job...can't wait to see it all finished!

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

TY 2Littlefishies. I look so forward to your reveal !

About your space...

Beyond the fridge and dbl window to the back wall where it looks like there are some more built-ins, is this the add'l 12.5 x 16.5 dining space? I would love to see what you do here and how it connects to your kitchen. I am considering adding sq ftg to the back of my kitchen but don't know what it would like.

Hope you are having a wonderful day after TG !

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

go figure- yes, Beyond the fridge is the additional 12.5 x 16.5 dining space. It one big room separated just by a ceiling beam. In between the 2 built ins will be a bench for the dining table.

The built in on the right is organizational area and the one on the right is a little bar space (no sink) with refrigerator drawers.

The space in Front of the dining room is our LR. We are in a small Cape Cod and didn't have much space and so we added 7' to the back of the house and took down some walls, & moved the basement stairs over.

The wall by the stairs changed a little but here is our plan... The dotted lines are walls that came down.

In between our LR and DR will be 12' of glass french doors as we want to be able to close off the 2 spaces now and then.

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

TY so much for posting the layout for me.
    I have been going nuts working on our layout.
    I can extend beyond our kitchen to at least 20ft and 6ft at the side. But wanting to REALLY think it thru - (and havent gotten there yet!) and be smart w/the layout.

Cant TY enough for responding. :)

• taggie
    11 years ago

Brandy and Orange-Mashed Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001
    ... and all the yummy details in all their glory.

Okay, now you're just being mean.

Stupid diet. Stupid, stupid, stupid diet!

:)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

taggie- LOL. Listen, I have gained 10 pounds since starting this renovation. I should be joining you!!! I really thought I'd lose weight but I guess the eating out since July and lots of fast/frozen food isn't such a great idea for me! : (

• deedles
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is looking really great, Fishies!

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Fishies--
    I gained much more than that after the kitchen was completed. I blame my ovens.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, deedles!

kitchendetective- That's what I'm afraid of!!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen so far! Love the lampshades!

Thanks for the recipe, too. :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!