Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebuyer23

Marble backsplash experts, questions so it goes smootly!

homebuyer23
10 years ago

Finally chose a backsplash (yay!).

Its a satin finish Hampton Carrara subway from the Tile Shop.

I want to be clear with my GC as to any specific instructions he needs to know.

Yes he's installed plenty of tile, and marble I'm sure. He prob knows what he's doing but as we all know, GW's often know more.

I mostly want to know what is the best type of grout for a satin finish marble tile? Sanded/non sanded/ something else...? The guy at The Tile Shop said sanded, but I wonder if that could scratch marble??

How do I have him seal it properly...what product is best and when should it get applied?

HOw do I avoid the inevitable crack in the grout where the tile touches the counter? I think I have read it is recommended to use a certain type of caulk there instead of grout...? Is that a common practice or something I'm going to have to hammer home that I want and give an explanation why I know more about this than him, which always annoys him....tough, I know, but Im just so sick of having these conversations!!

Spacing - I think I want the tiles as close together as possible...should I? Do I need to specify that? Most marble I see usually has thin grout lines.

Anything else I need to know so that this final step of the project goes smoothly?

Thanks!!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (2)