Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raised or flat panel kitchen cabinets?

Posted by KateB22 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 21:55

Building a new house. Trying to choose between flat panel or raised panel kitchen cabinets. They will be white.
Any thoughts to help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raised or flat panel kitchen cabinets?

I am all for not dusting in nooks and crannies anymore!

Karen

Shaker or flat panel

o

I agree with karen.ohio 100%, if you do go with a shaker or craftsman style they have some visual depth but not 99 nooks and crannies on each door or drawer to dust or try to get kitchen spooge out of. Flat panel is always nice too.

o

I bake a bit and flour collects along the edge of my flat panel doors. Very challenging to remove. Talked with someone last week looking to switch- "tired of getting in there with Q tips"
There are raised panels with a smooth profile whcih "may" be easier to deal with. No nooks and crannies and deflect spooge from the groove at the bottom-maybe.

o

This is a relevant discussion for us as well. We found with our sort of Shaker style (with arched tops) builder special doors, there was dusting to do on the doors too. Jakuvall,
can you please post a picture of this raised panel/smooth profile door?

Carol

o

Have a dwg. of one

o

Thanks Jakuvall!

Carol

o

I picked Shaker flat panel doors with a beveled edge. I am hoping this eliminates most dust collection.

Karen

o

Just a personal preference ... I think raised panel look nicer/more expensive

o

It depends on the look you are going for. I think raised is more traditional. When I mentioned I wanted a more transitional look, to match my house, 2 KDs suggested a version of Shaker.

o

Here is foto -mini base out in workshop, has the cove panel raise with square framing.

o

Jakuvall,

That was the exact door style we were leaning towards. Thanks very much for posting the photo and diagram.

To anyone who has the style posted by Jakuvall above in use does the raised panel deflect some kitchen mess and dust at all?

Carol

o

I have the beveled edge Shaker and can confirm that you don't have to clean the corners. I also used the flat panel drawer fronts on all drawers under 8", just like the Shakers did. I have two 4-drawer stacks where the top three drawers are flat. I have natural cherry and love the grain of the cherry on the flat panels.

In the photo Jakuvall posted, there are still sharp corners to clean. It looks too formal and library-ish for a modern kitchen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here