Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ck_squared

So how much should LED tape lighting cost?

ck_squared
10 years ago

We finally got our bid on the tape lighting after our UCL fiasco of a week ago or so (see link). It seems really high (around $1800)! But maybe I haven't a clue (actually, I know I don't).

I'm hoping some experts and those who have BTDT can tell me what roughly 18 feet of tape lighting should cost for materials, labor and installation.

Thank you so much!

Link: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1018490513453.html?25

Comments (12)

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

I got the low profile hardwire version priced out last week...four. w19" led lights and one much shorter one plus hardware, transformers etc came to 1,200. I was surprised but not shocked. I must also be ambivalent b/c I keep forgetting to call the company to see if they sell to retail customers. I think it techlighting and the unilume line.
    Ck, yours were the Xbox lights hanging below the cabs,right?
    Idabean

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

$1800? Wow! We DIY'd ours, with LED tape lights, and it was less than $200 in parts. Did they provide a breakdown of the costs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Our UCL Install

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

$34 for a 16ft spool of led tape lights - this includes a dimmer and power adapter-

http://www.hitlights.com/ls3528-wwkit.html

Ikea also sells a kit that I was first looking at but I like the looks of these hitlights - they are tinier and looks like easier to modify length - just cut. My contractor first told me about them.

It will be a while since I get to this point so I can't help with how they work but I think my contractor is expecting them to be relatively easy.

There's also an installation video on youtube.com on these but I can't seem to find the one I thought I saved. If you go to youtube.com and do a search for "hitlights", lots will come up.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I think the tape in my kitchen comes in 16ft spools, and costs around 180. If you are paying for the second spool needed for the extra 2 ft, consider whether you want it installed elsewhere or kept for a future project. My GC recently suggested I pay an extra $360 for a small amount of additional lighting I requested (6 ft, in order to double the amount at range top and sink), not sure how that was calculated. But I'll know before I pay it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Loox cool white tape led

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

People who don't DIY pay for the labor. Labor is high. Especially the labor of a licensed trade, like an electrician. However, you don't need an electrician for LED, except to make sure you have the outlets where you need them. Everything plugs into the outlets and it's easily DIYed if you own a few tools and have patience.

I did my entire showroom with all of the tape lights, puck lights, switches, transformers and every other little part and piece for under your quoted price in Hafele, which is top of the line in providing high lumens and predictable color rendering. Now, it probably took me 20 hours of labor to do all of the install, because I had a learning curve with it. If your electrician isn't familiar with it, maybe you're paying for his learning curve. Better to buy better quality materials and you do the install, IMHO.

• ck_squared
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe he said he was using Wac lighting LED tape lights.

My dh is more than handy enough especially once they drop the lines from the top of the cabs... maybe we should discuss that.

Thanks for the information once again. It is much appreciated!

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

DH installed our UCLs from Environmental Lights, but I can't find a record of how much they cost. Cheaper than some, for sure. We're fairly happy with them, though one stretch has a noticeably different color temp. It used to bother me, but I've gotten over it.

We're currently working with Hitlights. We got all the tape lighting, connectors, and remote dimmer for a 48' tray ceiling for under $150! (Call Dylan, and he might just give you a 10% discount.) Installation was a snap, though cosmetics don't matter at all in a tray, so it probably would have taken more time and care for UCLs. Once again, however, we have a color temp problem. One string is much warmer than the other two. It bothers me a lot, and I don't think I'll get over this one. (Combined with our light blue coffers, the ceiling has a strange green glow near that one string. Not appealing at all.) I've emailed Hitlights about this, and hope for a good resolution. (Hmm, it's been a while with no response. I'd better call today...)

One more thing: the Hitlight kit linked by elphaba probably doesn't have enough lumens per foot for UCLs. You might consider getting their high density strip if you're going with Hitlights. Also, if you go a la carte, you can buy a remote dimmer, rather than the manual one that comes with the kit.

Good luck with your lighting decisions. That part of our reno was by far the most intimidating for me.

• wolverine2
    10 years ago

We DIY'd and it was around $150. We did have the electrician put the wires in the wall beforehand, so that was just the cost of the lights themselves and they were very easy to figure out how to install ourselves.

• PaintAnything
    10 years ago

We installed 10' of LED tape lighting. I believe the retail on the tape lights was about $18/ft. (I can't say exactly, because we had other lighting items as well.)

Installation was about $300.

• plumberry
    10 years ago

I just got a quote for kichler led strip light at $10/foot.
    that price was for the light only.

• Apolo Soto
    2 years ago

Cheap to buy a tape light and just plug it in an outlet but when you want a perfect seamless no wires showing with light switch/ dimmer , that’s when it get expensive

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012