Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountdgal

1 Pendant Light or 3 Pendant Lights from Ceiling

mountdgal
9 years ago

Below find a Before/Current photo of my kitchen. I am renovating my kitchen with the following design choices: SS French Door fridge, Industrial style range and hood, Painting Cabinets white, Chrome cup pulls and knobs, Carrara Marble countertops, (farmhouse or SS undermount sink), Single "coil spring" pull down faucet, Jacobean/walnut floors, and I am adding T&G plank to my sloped ceiling. My question has to do with lighting. I would like to hang pendants from the ceiling. I am considering 1 large glass globe light in the center between the skylights or 3 smaller glass pendants (1 in the center and the additional two on either side). Which do you think I should do? Also, how low should they hang?

Comments (18)

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ceiling (sorry for the perspective)

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was difficult to get the entire ceiling but here it is from another angle.

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

A single large pendant would be cool, like a 31" Fillsta for example (link below). 3 pendants would seem cluttered to me.

Uplights around the perimiter would also be cool, potentially even coffered.

A lengthwise cable light run could also be neat. With a cable light you could point some spots up, point some spots around for accent, and even hang some pendants.

Here is a link that might be useful: 31

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Maybe I'm missing it with my tired eyes, but I don't see any other light fixtures in the room. Do you have any other light sources there? Any under-cab lights?

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Gaucho - thank you for the suggestions. I got the idea for three lights from the link below, although I understand that ceiling is much more expansive than mine so the look probably won't work for me. I didn't think about a cable light before... thank you for that.

@breezy - no, your tired eyes are not fooling you. There is a weird (barely noticeable) fluorescent light fixtIre above the sink that I am unsure of what to do with. I will either remove it or convert it to under cabinet lighting. I'd love any suggestions for that too.

By the way, we haven't moved into the house yet and are renovating prior to the move in.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Kitchen Light Inspiration[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-eclectic-kitchen-newark-phvw-vp~66812)

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Single light #1

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Single light #2

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Single light #3

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really like this

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this ;)

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

Inspiration pic has more space at the ends, which fits 3 better I think. Inspiration pic also has cable lights - did you notice that or was that coincidence?
    Do you understand the up light idea? Even just two uplights, one per skylight, could be super cool. And they compliment the pendant(s), not necessarily in place of.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Gaucho - thanks! yes I noticed the cable lights and yes I realized that my space will only fit 1 light. I didn't understand the uplight idea. Can you explain further/provide examples? Also what do you think of the inspiration pendant and single lights I suggested?

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

For the uplight, you could go a few routes, especially with respect to dimming functionality. And some fixtures don't support dimming, so you need to figure that out. To that end, I suggest you think through the use cases. For example, the use case that I think I'd appreciate most is late evening, after you've retired to another room of the house, at which time a mellow indirect glow from the skylight cutout would be particularly pleasant. You might also want the more light from this source on occasion, in which case you'd want brighter lights on a dimmer.

That being said, here's some options. I'm thinking two, centered on the skylights, mounted near the bottom rim of the cutout (just above the beam probably).

Regarding the pendant, I know that selecting pendants is hard enough without more to think about, but one downside of a single pendant vs multiple pendants is thhat single sources create worse shadows. And the clear glass pendants above exacerbate this harsh shadow problem by being point sources, whereas the Fillsta, for example, mitigates this problem because it's effectively a uniform 31" sphere of light. This large diffuser also makes it possible to use a brighter source. For example, you could put a 300W equivalent CFL in the Fillsta, but such a bright light would be unacceptably harsh in a point source like the clear glass pendants above.

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

A couple more thoughts on the cable light option...

If you go with cable lights, I'd recommend two parallel runs on each side of the cutout.

The advantage of this cable light arrangement is that it's flexible and complete in that it could satisfy all ambient, task, & accent lighting needs in one fell swoop. for example, you could illuminate all the counters, put a couple lights on the sink & cooktop, illuminate the cabinets, and accent any art on the walls & items on the counters. And you could easily adjust them to accent different things at different times.

The disadvantage of this approach all this ambient, task, & accent lighting would be on one circuit, so you lose the ability to layer light sources for different use cases & dramatic effects.

Also, if you go with cable lights, go with a remote transformer so that you don't need a big box in the cutout.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Gaucho. I think I really like the cable light option. I'm thinking I can hang a large pendant in the middle and per your suggestion, run cable lights lengthwise along the bottom edge of the inside of the cut out. Is that what you are suggesting?

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

> run cable lights lengthwise along the bottom edge of the inside of the cut out. Is that what you are suggesting?

Yes. I'm thinking two runs of cable lights, one on each side of cutout. I actually have a cable light run in my foyer - see link below for the kit I used. I mixed LED & halogen bulbs on the same run - LEDs for ambient and for an uplight on a skylight, and halogen to illuminate a couple pieces of art on the wall. I'm very happy with it, but I can't help but think they're more expensive than they should be, so I'd recommend pricing around.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED cable light kit

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can't I put the cable lights on a different switch than the pendant

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

Sure, in fact separate switches is SOP/best practice cases like this

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH