Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffw_00

help with flush install of cooktop? Thanks!

jeffw_00
10 years ago

Hi - I am replacing my 20 year old GE glasstop gas cooktop with a new GE Profile (steeltop) cooktop (PGP943DETBB). The final gas connection will be done by a licensed plumber. The installation manual is very general, so I'm hoping I can tap the experience here on some specific things...

1) My glass cooktop had foam tape between the cooktop bottom and the corian top for a snug fit. This steel cooktop does not come with tape. We're concerned that countertop spills will get under the edge of the cooktop (which is a metal lip in an upside-down big-dipper shape

_cooktop__/\
............:----corian------
............:

QN: What can I do to improve the seal?

2) The cooktop has a 3/4" lip all around. My hole will provide 1/2" of support all around. However, in the middle of each side, in the lip area, is a little hard rubber cube 3/4" wide x 1/4" high x 3/8" deep, which protrudes into the support area and will raise the lip and prevent it from resting snugly on the corian.

cooktop__/\
...........:x ...........:----corian------
...........:

QN: What is this cube? Why is it here? I'm thinking it's a "snugger" but it's sticking out too far into the lip area, and doesn't seem to be designed to be easy to trim with a box cutter.

Thanks Very Much!

/j

Comments (2)