Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zevnewman37

Kitchen at front entrance ideas

zevnewman37
9 years ago

We need some quick feedback. Our renovation is already underway.

In the picture you see our front door has the kitchen at the left. The wider 36" opening is the future doorway and the narrow 24" one is to be closed with cabinets abutting it in the kitchen.

We are thinking of using a door (likely pocket door) since when you open the front door, almost the entire kitchen can be seen.

Further, in this house, the front door opens to the living room. So you can both see the kitchen from the front door and the living room.

There is a second entrance to the kitchen toward the center of the house. It's narrow though and about impossible to fit an appliance through. That's why we felt we have to keep this doorway by the front door. Also, it gives the kitchen traffic flow.

We plan to have a couch to the right of this doorway and another opposite that couch.

Is a pocket door the best option?

It would have to double pocket due to space limits. Theres also bifold, double doors, etc. We were thinking even a nice frosted glass double pocket door would work. Pocket is nice in such a small layout since the doors dont take space when open. Likely the doors would stay open or half open most of the time.

Thanks for the quick feedback!

This post was edited by zevnewman37 on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 21:44

Comments (11)

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

just make sure you can do that structurally before you get your heart set on pocket doors. There is no room for electric/plumbing/ducting behind them. They are nice when there is no room for swing - and this is one of those places. Personally, I would not put any door there at all.

• zevnewman37
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, detroit. Yeah, we would move it if we could. Only option is further down the wall, but at that point its getting closer to the other entrance at the center of the house. Maybe someday that entrance can be widened but not in the current layout.

We're also aware of the light switch problem...can't be right by the entrance as you said. We dont need any other things in these walls.

• jimandanne_mi
    9 years ago

We added a layer of OSB between the studs and drywall along a wall in a similar situation where we wanted a pocket door, and the electrician got a shallow box for the light switch. It takes a little planning to make the extra thickness look right with the rest of the wall and the framed doorway.

Anne

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

cabinets can't be put on that way if there is too be a pocket door. I wouldn't put any door. With the way the front door swings, your kitchen won't be directly in the sight line.

• njannrosen
    9 years ago

I have my kitchen off the front hall without a door and I love it. . What is it that bothers you about it? Do you not want guests to see your kitchen mess? I find people naturally come into the kitchen anyway. I think pocket doors are a pain and I usually leave them open anyway. It looks like you're putting in a new kitchen, so why not show it off anyway?y

• zevnewman37
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's not just that we see the kitchen from the front door. We see when sitting in the living room. But you may be right...could be worth showing it off!

Deickhoff0: On this particular wall there is a pantry cabinet so probably won't be pulling down on the wall...if anything our contractor said it reinforces it.

Anne: good to know about this option. I'll look into that!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Our entry is like yours, except the foot of the stairs is between the front door and the kitchen. The kitchen doorway has a double door, two narrow doors in a regular opening. They swing into the kitchen.

What I like: the look, the symmetry, the fact that they don't take up much space in the kitchen (a regular door would partially block a window and bump one person sitting at the table under the window). It is nice to close it off sometimes. When they are closed, they look less like "this is a closed door, no entry" unfriendly;they are more interesting than a single door.

What I don't like: the light switch is behind one of the doors! Now, it's only a small door so the switch is barely behind it, but it means the door is often not quite all the way agains the wall.
    Honestly, how hard could it have been to move the switch over?

Our house has few double doors, so it all looks consistent.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I'm in my second house in a subdivision from the '50s all with a kitchen right in the front of the house. They have pocket doors between kitchen and foyer. I looooove my pocket door there. It's a great place for a kitchen but sometimes (not very often, not often enough to justify a serious flappy in-the-way door) you want it a bit more private and closed.

Oh, I also close my pocket door when opening the oven since it's RIGHT there and I don't want kids walking into it. :)

If you can fit in the pockets, I think you'll like them. If they cut into your kitchen too much, though, best to find another option.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

My fridge is currently right behind/beside the front door. (Dent in the fridge from the lock on the door handle.) We bought the house 6 mo ago. You also look into the kitchen from the "living room". Can't change the lay out. So I will be making it wonderful to look at. Not able to put in a door and wouldn't want to close the kitchen off anyway.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

My kitchen also has an entrance to the left. It always had a pocket door. The desk used to be there but with the reno, our oven stack is in this location. I seldom close it. If I had kids roaming around, I would close it while baking to decrease/control rraffic flow.
    I loved the pocket door concept enough that I added one for our pantry. The pantry one goes behind the refrigerator
    I couldn't find a great picture but here is one with the door closed.

• User
    9 years ago

Our kitchen is right off the entry. The previous owners added on and we wound up with a very odd layout. But it works for us and now that the kitchen has been expanded and redone, I actually prefer having it toward the front of the house.

For the OP, I think a pocket door would be useful if it's viable structurally. We have one for our laundry/utility room and we've talked about putting one between our kitchen and the living/dining rooms to the back. It wouldn't be about the visuals but about separating the spaces (especially when my older child is doing homework at the kitchen table.) I'd definitely try to find ones that are French door style, though, so you don't lose any light or sense of openness. That's been the biggest plus for us in renovating.