Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Restoration hardware lighting opinions

Posted by paulineinmn (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 21:39

Does anyone have either the Clemson classic pendant:

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1509020&categoryId=cat1701013

or the Schoolhouse pendant:

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=190&categoryId=cat1701013

...from Restoration Hardware? I'm trying to choose a fixture (two actually) for my kitchen. It's kind of an updated farmhouse kitchen, white upper cabinets, cherry lower cabinets, farmhouse sink, soapstone counters, wood floor. I kind of want an elegant yet comfy look. The house was built in 1911 so want to keep it kind of older looking.

I'm wondering which fixture would be cozier.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Restoration hardware lighting opinions

So funny- I am ordering the clemson today! I am sure you know about the friends and family 20% off sale? It ends monday.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1018493612454.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson pendant

o

I had an earlier version of the schoolhouse pendant -- it had a chain rather than the downrod. I put one each in the kitchen and breakfast nook of a 1929 Tudor home back in 2001. It was a nice, elegant look without the fixtures becoming features on their own.

I like the Clemson, too. It is more of a statement, probably a bit more trendy, but would be a nice splash of bling in an otherwise soft kitchen. When I say trendy I don't mean "modern" -- in that it would go out-of-date quickly. I just mean it has a bit of the industrial, steampunk thing that seems to be going on right now. I think it would be nice in a 1911 house.

o

You might look at School house electric too. They have some really nice period fixtures and you can mix and match shades and fixtures to get the look you want.

http://www.schoolhouseelectric.com/

o

I suggest also checking Rejuvenation Lighting. Like Schoolhouse Electric, they allow you to create your own combination of fixture and shades, with a ton of options. And, the customer service is wonderful! I just finished my kitchen and bought a light from them. There were a couple of glitches but the way they were handled has made me a huge fan of this company. Absolutely superb in their efforts to make things right and to do it with speed and ease.

And...I think many of their pieces are less expensive than Restoration Hardware.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation LIghting

o

We just ordered two of the Optic pendant from Restoration:
http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=1340&categoryId=cat1701013

One for over a peninsula and another for over a small table in the breakfast area.

o

I like both, but am partial to the schoolhouse fixtures for older houses. I also second (third?) the recs to check out Schoolhouse and Rejuvenation, though---their schoolhouse lights are less expensive than Restoration Hardware's. We bought our schoolhouse fixtures from Schoolhouse (en route to us now!) and ordered pendants from Rejuvenation.

o

Well, I can't speak for "cozy", but we love our two Clemsons. They are the 14" diameter, take two bulbs each, and really light up the room. Ours are the fluted glass, which is hard to tell from the photos. We lucked out and found them at the Restoration Hardware outlet in Georgia.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I just installed 2 schoolhouse pendants from RH in my kitchen. They go great in my 1904 home. Very nice fixtures. I think the schoolhouse would help achieve the cozy look you are going for. So classic!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here