Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuxedord2

Kitchen Makeover Take Two: countertops change?

tuxedord2
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Long story, installers got caulk and oils on my leathered absolute black and then sealed over it. Smudgey mess! They agreed to replace the two sections that were ruined. However, the new slab of LF Absolute Black did not match my existing 2 sections. They then offered full deposit refund and instructions to go elsewhere!

So Take TWO! I am now a bit gun shy to pick LF AB again. I like the look but will admit that the fingerprints from my children were getting kind of annoying.

Found polished Colonial White today (which is similar to my original choice before opting for AB).

What do you think? Honesty counts here! There are some burgundy garnet spots that I am not sure about - but they blend in okay as opposed to some of the slabs I've seen around here lately.

Current pics to follow in next post.

Comments (24)

• tuxedord2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Existing kitchen

• tuxedord2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another view

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I prefer the contrast against the cabinets that the dark stone provides. The white stone is pretty, but I think it would wash out your kitchen. Like a pale blonde wearing white.

• tuxedord2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jillius. Yes, that is the reason I went dark originally. This new slab is very light but there is a good amount of gray overall and some black, caramel and garnet accents. Not enough contrast overall perhaps?

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I prefer the light. Those dark counters really dominate and kind of suck up the light in the room.

• crl_
    9 years ago

There are lots of beautiful kitchens with white cabinets and light countertops--and with white cabinets and dark countertops. It's just two different looks. I am sure you have looked on houzz. If you like the all light look, great. I like both.

And I like your new countertop choice. It's very pretty! Have you gotten a sample and abused it to make sure it doesn't stain or etch?

What's your backsplash? Any plans to change it?

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

I think your new slab is beautiful...as well as your kitchen!

• tuxedord2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! I have no backsplash yet. Was originally doing matte white beveled subway but I can change my mind. Crl- I like both looks too really. When I first started out I was going all light - then progressively switched. I'm so wishy washy. Yes, I got a sample and am doing all the Gardenweb tests today! The sales lady had the same stone and said she had no issues - so we'll see.

Do garnet spots bother anyone?
    (trying to also appeal to potential buyers one day down the road)

• crl_
    9 years ago

To me those kinds of spots are what give natural stone a bit of life. Not that I don't appreciate the even-ness of some of the man made materials too. But no, what you are describing and what I can see on the slab doesn't bother me. It might effect your backsplash choices a bit, but it sounds like you are thinking neutral and simple anyway.

• allisonkbye
    9 years ago

We just chose a whiter counter top (Alaskan White), and after seeing tons of pics online, the majority of people seem to match white counter tops with white cabinets, which looks amazing, and I'm usually a fan of contrast. I even plan on doing a whiter/light beige back splash just because I want the counter top to be the main focal point. So I definitely think the white would look better. One of my favorite kitchens that I have pinned is all white,

My only concern would be the burgundy bits you mentioned. I remember seeing granite that had that in it, and I was instantly turned off. However, I just wanted all neutral, mainly white counter tops, and so I was not expecting or looking for any other colors, which is why I was turned off from it so fast. That's just me. If you think it bothers you in the least bit way or not sure about it, I would keep looking because it's such a huge investment.

One of my friends had this beautiful black granite in their old apartment and after commenting on how beautiful it was, she told me how much she hated it and to never get black because you constantly have to keep it clean. I only seem to clean when company comes over, so black was never an option for me!

• annaship1
    9 years ago

How is the lighting in your kitchen? From the photos, it seems just a bit dark. I think that the lightness and shine of the lighter countertop may help bring more brightness into the space. I don't think the garnet spots will bother anyone :-).

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I love that stone. If the garnet bits are small and not really obvious, they will be fine. When I was shopping for stone I looked at similar slabs. Some had highly visible streaks of garnet that looked like a smear of pink or purple in the stone -- didn't like those. Others just had subtle scattered inclusions which didn't affect the overall appearance of the stone colors and I like them a lot.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I love the overall look of white/cream cabinets and dark counters, from afar. It's what I have. In reality, I think it's harder to work (e.g., prep) against a dark background. It's harder to see things on the surface. Mine doesn't show fingerprints so much, but coffee beans hide in plain sight.

I think your new slab is beautiful. I'm not seeing really obvious garnet pieces. I don't think a few would bother me anyway.

• tuxedord2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I am now leaning back to light for all the reasons you mention (After living with the dark for a while, I must say I also prefer a lighter surface to actually work on too).

I'll go back and to a few other yards too in order to be sure. I do have small reservations about the garnet spots. Yet, in this slab, though there are many, they are sort of scattered and small and mix in with the black and gray spots - so not as big or prominent as I've seen in some other stone.

Thanks again!

• annac54
    9 years ago

Do a mock-up. Put white trash bags or paper over your counters and see if you like the lightness. If the garnet spots are small and scattered, you probably won't notice them much. The slab looks really nice.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

That picture Allison posted is nice. The dark wall color provides nice contrast. If you go with white stone, perhaps you could reconsider your wall color.

• tuxedord2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure I like the light. In fact, it was white laminate before it was dark leathered absolute black. Interestingly, I did a mock up when I decided to go dark-- with black trash bags! LOL! Yes, Jillius, the kitchen paint is really just a temporary white until everything else gets settled. The adjoining rooms are half strength Manchester tan which is a greyish beigeish depending on the light.

Thanks for all the help!

• carolmka
    9 years ago

Are you thinking about changing your cabinet hardware? I would consider that first. In your pictures its very distracting, especially since they are matte. I would do that either at the same time as the counter top or before. I think it would greatly improve the appearance of your kitchen.

• tuxedord2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carolmka, it's an option to change the hardware. Was trying to get away with not doing that -- but might need to. The picture is a bit fuzzy since it's an iphone. The hardware is pottery barn ORB and so it has some better detail. They are not the plastic flat black kind. But I had thought of changing it all out. Was waiting until the countertops were installed to decide.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Absolute Black should never be sealed. That's the problem. What a shame.

I like the black. I'm going with polished Absolute Black. I've had it before. You do have to clean the countertops. I have a busy pattern now and I can't find the dirt.

The sample change is very nice. I think it will work well in the space. Think about your paint color. I like the second picture that shows a lighter countertop. Take note that the wall color is strong. What is more interesting is the matching ceiling. It looks sharp.

• tuxedord2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Homechef, yes absolutely! The sealer was part of the whole debacle. I had read that AB should never be sealed and even talked to my fabricator about this. But the installer had other ideas. It was a real mess.

I agree the darker wall color in that picture makes the white kitchen pop.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Garnet spots are a Bonus in my book. A friend, who is a decorator, always says that every room should have a touch of red.

I would go with the Colonial White counters. More practical, IMO. Sooo much lighter. And the random-ness very much more interesting (up close) than AB. And, 'sides all that, it's closer to what you said was your original intent for counters before you opted for the AB. First instinct is usually a winner.

• sanjuangirl
    9 years ago

I love the slab. I think the burgundy gives it interest and depth.
    My sister in law has it and I love looking at all the variety in her island.

I replaced my Black Galaxy Granite on my island when we just did our kitchen remodel. The island is used constantly and it showed everything. I had windex in my hand 3 and 4 times a day. Even when the kids weren't eating, it showed the oil from their skin and I would have to wipe it down.

I opted for white Quartzite on my new island, and I love everything about it. It shows nothing and I love all of the contrasts in the natural stone. I had to keep the Black Galaxy around the perimeter for budget reasons. It's fine since it doesn't have people touching it all the time, but I am in love with this lighter stone.
    Good luck!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I like the black counters on your kitchen but the lighter granite would look really great. It looks a lot like the River White granite I have in my bathroom and I actually like the garnet spots. My stone is very porous though and I'm still trying to find a better way to seal it since the 511 hasn't prevented water and soap stains.

If you use a lighter stone I agree different hardware would work better. I wonder if you could paint your existing hardware with a chrome or nickel finish.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!