Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zargunn

Opinions needed, especially pros'

zargunn
9 years ago

Hi all:

I would really appreciate objective opinions, please. Our kitchen worker in stalked pulls on cabinet drawers unevenly, either not centered by about 1/8 inch or crooked (hope you can see in the pictures). The contractor is trying to talk us into just accepting that they are not perfect.

I am a scientist and perfectionist when it comes to things like this. Imprecisions like these really irritate me, especially when I realize that the holes for pulls easily could have been done right.

My question is, do you think I am being too strict and demanding, it is it reasonable to expect the pulls to be installed with a better precision??

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (31)

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another example

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And one more. Sigh

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

It would be helpful if you posted some pictures that show the entire drawer fronts. It is very hard to see if they look good or bad when you are only showing a close-up.

I, too, am very picky about details like that. Knowing this about myself, and also knowing that many (most?) people do not share these perfectionist tendencies, I elected to install my own pulls. Once those holes are drilled, you only have room for slight adjustments and I didn't want to risk what you are experiencing now.

If the drilled holes are so far off that the hardware can't be adjusted, you have good reason to complain. It is reasonable to expect that all the hardware will be installed in the same position on each drawer, and that they will all line up and be uniform. As I said, it's impossible to tell from your photos what was done.

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks jellytoast. If I had known this would happen, I would totally have drilled the holes myself and spared myself and everybody else this headache. I will try to post another picture. The drawer on the top is one of those that really bug me.

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks jellytoast. If I had known this would happen, I would totally have drilled the holes myself and spared myself and everybody else this headache. I will try to post another picture. The drawer on the top is one of those that really bug me.

{{!gwi}}

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

It would drive me nuts.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

It isn't usually a problem to make pull holes large enough that the pulls can be adjusted.

This is inexcusable, however. It takes 5 minutes to hot melt glue a pull drilling jig together out of scrap. No measuring and perfect holes every time.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

That is really aggravating. There is really no excuse, to be expecting customers to accept such nonsense and ruin your cabinets. Hope it can be adjusted! If not, maybe absorbing the cost of replacing those fronts will convince him to care about his work and his customer's property more. This stuff gets really old after a while. Makes me wonder why people like to say made in the USA means a better product. We have lost our pride in good workmanship.

• sbdesign
    9 years ago

As a graphic designer and illustrator, I am very sensitive visually and am frequently bothered by things others never notice.

These pulls, however are so obviously crooked that anyone would notice. I would want this fixed.

Thank you for bringing this up before it is an issue in our new house...I will definitely be installing mine for myself.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Where'd that yellow thing with the number on it, come from?

• dovetonsils
    9 years ago

Funny, the only tip I remember after years of watching HGTV is to make a drilling template so that all of the holes wind up in the same place.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Looks like the handle will cover any mistakes. so they shouldn't balk at all about changing. Insist on it.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Not acceptable and something that could be done right, rather easily, with a template (as others have mentioned). I hope you haven't paid in full. I would withhold payment until things are done appropriately.

If my husband or I did the install and messed up, I'd live with it even though I would be irked about it. But when I'm paying for work to be done right, I expect it to be done right.

Unless you approved a clause in the contract that says "shoddy work is just fine by me"....oh, you didn't? Then they have no standing to try to make you accept shoddy work.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Should be fixed.

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for your input. I am super aggravated!

Snoonyb: the yellow thing is a tape measure I am holding for reference. Our kitchen guy is apparently not familiar with the tool. Go figure.

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not paid in full yet, so now will definitely insist on fixing all of these.

Really shoddy work, and I can't believe I even have to concern myself with this when paying the so-called professionals.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

My mom did hers (without a template) in her kitchen, about three houses ago. She did a MUCH better job, but she did have her own measuring tape :)

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

They can go to a Home Depot get a small size wooden dowel rod that fits snug in the hole. Glue a small piece of dowel in the holes and re-drill it with a jig after the glue has dried. The pull should be wide enough to cover any discrepancies. Some that are really off may need both holes plugged then split the difference. They need to check with the template which holes are most correct. To do this right they should mark a center line through the holes on the jig which they should have done already to get the drilling jig correct then two parallel lines on either side repersenting the coverage of the handle then side the marked edge of it up to the holes and see what you have before you proceed. Sorry to be so literal but I wouldn't trust they do it right the second time if they just wing it. If they are off on the second hole and the handle doesn't cover you are either going to have to get different handles or a new door.
    John

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Is the curve deeper on one side of the pull, meaning there's an up and a down side? In the photo with two drawers, it looks like the bottom pull is installed upside down.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

That would drive me nuts too. I worked for a new condo being built on the beach and I think they screwed up intentionally.

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

A couple points that are obvious but in case they're not . My response was directed toward the handles that are really off. The ones that are only slightly off can be fixed by over sizing the holes and with a wide screw head screw on the inside just tweak them a little and tighten well. Also in case they're not they should be using a brad-piont drill bit and blue painters tape on the door to mark center lines that correspond with the center lines on the jig.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I agree with the crowd--they need to fix them. Geez.

When we purchased our house, on the three drawer cabinet, two of the drawer knobs were installed 1.25" left of center. It is surprising how something so simple could be obviously messed up, and left that way for 40 years! One of the first things to go were those ugly knobs. I had no difficulty centering the replacement pull on the drawer.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Ditto what mayflowers said. Reverse the upper pull and it will look much better.

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, all, for your input and advice!

Mayflower and oldbat: there is no up or down side to the pulls, it just appears so in the pics I take on my phone. The curves are of the same depth on both sides. So,no reversing them would not help.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

I know. I've probably worn out 6 or 7, I just couldn't resist.

Are you opposed to decorative backplates should the contractor be reluctant too, or unable to find a competent cabinet finisher to fix any subsequent damage, in the "adjustment"?

• schicksal
    9 years ago

They did a bush league job. When they make it right, remember to have them erase the pencil marks before they install the pulls.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Bad on several levels. I'm not sure that the handle will cover the relocated hole; The tapped hole in the metal is very close to the inner edges of those handles if I'm judging correctly. So they are objecting because they know they spoilt the doors and do not want to have to spend to get replacements. Hold their feet to the fire an don't give in. Arithmetic is on your side.
    Casey

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

They need to be redone.

Also, perhaps I am alone in this but I would never have handles installed in the center panels of a cabinet door. Those should be replaced completely IMO.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

rococo, I think those are drawers - the picture is sideways.

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, rococogurl (and thank you, sjhockeyfan), those are sideways-pictured drawers. Don't know how to flip the pic.

If, on top of the other issues, they'd installed handles in the center of door panels, y'all would have heard of a mass shooting over a kitchen reno :)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Like schick, I noticed the pencil marks. They need to go while they are fixing your knobs.