Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmhousegirl_gw

Need photos of cream/off-white inset timeless kitchens

farmhousegirl
12 years ago

I really like the white inset kitchens, cup pulls, timeless, vintage, or cottage feel...marble, soapstone, butcher block, subway. However dh isn't so keen on BRIGHT white. I don't see much of this in off white/cream. Anyone have photos? Boxerpups? I could really use some help.

Thanks!

Comments (35)

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Several photos of shades of white inset cabs.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Doing White Right

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Another one....I think they look creamy...

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

honestly, i think the trick is to get as many sample boards as possible and examine them inside the space. how you perceive the color to read at one place won't read the same in your kitchen. i don't think i could ever stress this enough. don't go by a photo or a paint chip or by the way it looks in someone else's house. bring a large enough sample home and then decide. it's really best to tackle this without any preconceived notions of how you think the color will look. good luck, i always thought this was the fun part!

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

mine are creamy ...SW dover white.
    {{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Kateskouros, I love your kitchen! I have a chip here of SW Dover White but it appeared more yellow than your white creamy perfect color cabinets on my monitor. Any close up pictures or a picture showing the color next to white?

What bulb did you use for your recessed lighting and size since now I am obsessed with this when I finally caved in and decided I needed recessed lighting.

• farmhousegirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Michele! And Kateskouros...LOVE your kitchen. I love the warmth of the wood tone island and other piece. That was exactly what I was thinking...along with the marble. Can you provide details?

I was considering ORB hardware, but loving your silver tone..not sure if it's chrome or satin. LOVE!!! Thx!!!

• User
    12 years ago

Another vote for Sherwin Wiliams Dover White, it is white but has a warm creamy hint to it (no pink). I liked it so much I painted two housesnin that color!

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

thanks all -my hardware is polished nickel and i'm really pleased with it. it's by schaub, traditional series. as for the bulbs in the recess lights, i can't really say. the GC installed them and i have no idea what they are. all i DO know, is once they begin dying i will replace them with LEDs. that's the plan anyway. hoping i'll be able to find some with good color and not too stark or "blue".

i chose the dover white from a large (42") cabinet door that my cabinet maker had sprayed for me, along with the glazed cherry for the island and baking center after looking at them for a few weeks inside the space. while it wasn't an easy decision (there have got to be over 2,000,0000 variations of "white"!) the choices began to dwindle down to these so i went with them. i don't think it's the kind of decision you can make in a day or even two or three. you have to look at the samples inside the space in every type of light. again, i'm really thrilled with the paint color and stain but please don't rely on a monitor or recommendation from someone who's used it. to avoid being swayed by others' influence i never knew which paint color i was looking at as the names and numbers were on the backside of the doors. i didn't want to choose a color because so and so's kitchen looked great -kwim?

{{gwi:1446454}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

kateskouros, I really love the color of your cabinets and I wish I did not buy my tiles until I chose my cabinet color since they are more gray than I thought they were. I now wish I just brought the Brazilian Cherry wood from my family room into the kitchen since I seem to like creamier cabinets. Your cabinets are gorgeous and so is your kitchen and floors. What wood is on your floor from glimpses I have gotten?

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Here are a few not nearly as beautiful as those above but I am sure they can help with your kitchen creativity.
    ~boxerpups

Delish

French Country

Clive Christian

Clive Christian

• enduring
    12 years ago

I think kateskouros kitchen with the mix of wood and painted cabs, would be a great compromise between your DH and you. When I first started my kitchen remodel earlier this spring and was looking at inspiration pictures I was shocked at the white kitchen look, I called them "Wedding Dress Kitchens". Some people that I talked to in the industry didn't think that was very funny. The kitchens that had a lot of white but also had color I called "Bridesmaid Kitchens". So that is why I think they are so popular:) They touch something in women that is romantic. Like the promise of a blissful experience. Just My Humble Opinion.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

That's a very interesting insight, enduring.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

So then to continue your analogy all the wood-cabinet kitchens out there are "Groom-Tuxedo" kitchens? It's not that your analogy isn't funny - it is perhaps a little cute - it's that it just doesn't make much sense. My kitchen is white and there is nothing romantic about it - no frou-frous, no bows, no lace etc. just like my 1980's wedding dress, which I still really like.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Enduring -- interesting idea.
    To complicate, or perhaps reinforce your idea,
    the fabric I picked for my all-white kitchen
    is a black graphic print in a color called "Tuxedo".
    Coincidence?

{{!gwi}}

Whether we use the bridal metaphor or not,
    I do think that rooms that have a little ying and yang,
    "masculine" and "feminine,"
    light and dark, angles and curves,
    soft and hard surfaces, shiny and matt,
    are the most visually interesting.

• enduring
    12 years ago

Yes francoise47, I agree with the balance thing. The wedding dress metaphor just popped in my head back then. It was in response to the glitz and glam that I saw in the white kitchens. So of course following that train of thought the brides maid kitchen came about. People wear white and glitz and aren't wearing wedding dresses. I grew up in the 50's in a very plain blue and white kitchen. I see nothing new or trendy with white cabinetry, but the glamour really startled me as a new comer to the world of kitchen design. For me it was over the top for my life style. But I surround my self with fairly plain living, farm dirt, livestock noise, banging doors, loud combines, howling coyotes, windy winter storms, & I travel 30 miles daily to my city job where I take care of people feeling hopeless and helpless, that need nursing care. I find design wonderful and allows us to use talents we have to express ourselves. What joy.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

My kitchen isn't finished, but we used Acadia white for the cabinets and dover white for a lot of the baseboards and moldings around the house. Neither is bright white, both are popular with designers, so I think they're safe choices.

{{gwi:1461824}}

• minty19
    12 years ago

Here's my inspiration kitchen

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

thanks lynn, the floors are american black walnut finished with waterlox.

and boxerpups: would you happen to know anything about the white/gray backsplash in the last photo on the run you posted? i'm so confused and change my mind daily on what exactly i should use for a backsplash -that wouldn't be too busy against the heavy veining in my calacatta marble counters. this backsplash looks like a good candidate. TIA!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Thank you Kateskouros for letting me know what your beautiful floors are!I am trying to find bulbs that will make my tiles more beige and ivory like they are supposed to be so maybe I can go creamier on the cabinets.

Minty19, your inspiration picture is beautiful!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Boxerpup's last picture features tiles by Trikeean Tiles--
    beautiful kitchen and beautiful tiles!

Here is a link that might be useful: Trikeenan tiles

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Yup trikeenan.
    A great place to shop, check them out.
    And while we are at it, here are a few others in the
    gray, white family you might enjoy kateskouros

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

thanks francoise47 for the trikeenan link. i'm adding them to my list.
    and boxer, if you keep showing me more possibilities i'll NEVER be able to choose!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Boxerpups, I love the pictures you are posting. I am in love with white inset cabinets! I wish money was unlimited. Continue to post away. :) I love looking, giving me ideas for now or the future.

• farmhousegirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much! Boxer, you pulled through again with some good ones! Thx! Kate, I love your fridge area and TV. Do you have a second refrigerator on the right side?

• farmhousegirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Madeline, Your kitchen is gorgeous! Thank you!

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

thanks farmhousegirl. the unit to the right is a freezer. the center will be for small appliances and shelving for bowls, cereal and other misc... the TV will be housed in the baking cabinet.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Kateskouros, so sorry about your problems with your GC. Please keep us updated as I know you are anxious to finish your kitchen and we all can't wait to see the finished pictures of your already gorgeous kitchen.

• Finland_Kitchen
    12 years ago

There is some photos from Finland Kitchens.

Hyva suomalainen keittio:
    Keittio remontti>

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen pictures

• Bunny
    12 years ago

boxerpups, your post from 11/25, 6th photo down: Do you know who makes those varied color green tiles? Want.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

[moan] oooooooooooooOOOOOooo

I cannot wait until I can afford to retrofit the cabinets I have to inset doors and drawers. I absolutely love the look and feel.

I now know why for 6 years I couldn't pick a cabinet door. Nothing spoke to me. So I started to settle. That EVIL "s" word.

But I have plans. Always plans.

Not necessarily white for me, but all these cabinets are SO beautiful! :) Thanks for the dream material

Christine

• phorbin
    12 years ago

Here is a few of mine. will do a thread on it next week. kateskouros you were my insperation!!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Dear Phorbin, Wow!
    I can't wait to see your full post on your kitchen.

• Tim
    12 years ago

Here's our 'white' kitchen. BM Cloud White cabinets. Lighting in these pics are warm white LED pucks. We have recessed MR16 halogens in the ceiling. Everything on dimmers.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

TorontoTim, What finish is on your cabinets (satin, semi-gloss, etc. and which BM paint did you use?) that look so great in the BM Cloud White. What color is your wall since I like how the Cloud White is so creamy and does not look so white next to the whiter wall. Love all the light that you have and I love your cabinets and the hardware you chose. Which hardware is on your cabinets that looks so great? Thanks for sharing.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi Farmhousegirl,

What did you end up picking?
    Or are you still in the researching phase?