Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_halfacre

New construction kitchen design help

I've posted before about this kitchen, cabinet ordering time coming quickly and I'd love some feedback on what we've planned so far.

open floor plan, ushaped kitchen measuring from left to right of U when looking into the U shape -
102 3/8 inches left leg
196 1/8 inches back wall of u
156 3/4 inches right leg
next to the ushaped kitchen towards the front of the house is a mudroom/pantry/kitchen office - (the wall behind the fridge) and the space next to the kitchen (meaning windows, island, then the next space is dining room, beyond that a living room)
whole room measures 16 feet wide (fridge to sink) by 40 feet long (sink , island, through dining room, to back wall of great room)

Island not shown because I don't have it planned out yet.
Do not want a prep sink because I want a solid work surface for projects. Not negotiable.
Don't have plans for a microwave, probably in the island

family details:
7 - two elderly - three teens/children - homeschool so we're all here all day, together, alot, all the time, lol
LOTS of home cooking, entertaining and gatherings
Desire as many seats as possible at island while still providing necessary storage
probably doing a gas 36" although what is drawn here may only be 30"

This post was edited by mrshalf on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 21:39

Comments (8)

• Stephanie Halfacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture at framing in case anyone is confused by my poorly worded dimensions.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

I don't see an island in your layout...but,

Is the island going to be a barrier b/w the range and the refrigerator?

Is the aisle wide enough b/w the sink wall and the island to allow maneuvering around an open DW door (should be at least 48" wide in this situation)?

How big is your island?

How is the island oriented?

What are aisle widths around the island (not just b/w it and the sink)?

If you have "elderly" family members, be aware that they will probably not be comfortable sitting at the island.

Can you post an actual layout rather than a partial 3D/elevation shot? It would be a lot easier to comment without having to ask a multitude of questions!

• bmorepanic
    9 years ago

The framing shows the array of 4 windows has different spacing than the drawing.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Different location in the wall as well....

• canuckplayer
    9 years ago

Where are the upper cabinets? The only ones I see are above and to the right of the fridge. Since I don't know the actual dimensions, it doesn't seem enough uppers storage right of the fridge.

Can you show the actual measurements of the kitchen and island, as well as the adjoining spaces.

• Stephanie Halfacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Island not shown because I don't have it planned out yet. "

Sorry for all the unanswered questions. But yes, the island would be a barrier between the fridge and stove - a landing spot of sorts and prep area as it will be food grade butcher block, I hope.

I have room to do a 48 inch aisle between the sink and island - was thinking only 40 though since I'm not having a prep sink in the island and could picture dripping wet things from one side to other - but really how much more difference would 8 inches more of dripping make I guess. Good point about the dishwasher being open and being able to move around it.

Elderly residents requested counter height bar stools which is great as I didn't want a high rise island anyhow. The dining room is a few feet away and they will most likely sit at the table there doing a puzzle most meal prep times anyway.

The windows are not drawn exactly because the cabinet design was done before framing. Now that we are in the framing stage, we will meet again with specific measurements.

I will zoom in on our house plan pdf and do a kitchen floor plan as you've requested.
    Thanks for the input thus far.

• Stephanie Halfacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a screen shot of the blown up plans showing the mudroom/pantry, half bath at foyer (you can see the sink only), half of the great room (the words great room are actually the dining room) and kitchen.

All of the "c"s are the windows, the french doors open out to the deck and where it says wood steps, that's the garage (I'm sure you knew that)

• Stephanie Halfacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is a detailed measurement sheet with more information.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz