Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgreenman_gw

Does your kitchen match your dog?

mgreenman
12 years ago

Hi,

Fairly new around here--been lurking for a couple of weeks, I confess. About to undertake a kitchen remodel and am starting to think my selections--I'm thinking Cherry cabinets, Soapstone counters, and "gunstock" oak floors, are going to resemble my dog, a Bernese. Just wondering if anyone else finds themselves drawn to color schemes or textures reminiscent of their pets?

Comments (169)

• Majra
    10 years ago

It was suggested that I revive this thread after Jamie snuck into this photo of my new two-tone kitchen. He matches perfectly! I have, however, developed some hefty vacuuming skills from the white fur/dark floor combination. :)

• SaraKat
    10 years ago

So sweet : ) What a cutie! .... Love all the pictures!

• will2kz
    10 years ago

He is permanently positioned below my daughters chair during mealtime....

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Glad you revived this - I missed it first time. Soibean should post here, too - her dog matches her floor.

Our Winnie is more of an accent piece; she coordinates. She matches the white trim and the black cooktop, as well as the black specks and veins in the granite, but to really match, she'd need to be green.

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    10 years ago

I LOVE this thread! Our house is being built but now that I think about it, our kitchen (and actually our entire house) is matched to our dogs. In the kitchen we're going with black cabinets, bianca luna laminate countertops (white and grey), and a iridescent grey/blue backsplash which is basically our bi-blue merle sheltie, Merlin, who has half a blue eye. Our floors will be stained pretty close to the brown in Archimedes' face (the tri-colored sheltie).

• taggie
    10 years ago

So glad to see this thread revived. Great pups above! LOL at the expression on your guy will2kz ... is she gonna drop something soon, is she, huh, huh, is she, huh? :)

• Peke
    10 years ago

Joyce, I love your two Pekingese. My first one was fawn with a dark mask. She lived until she was 18. I had her longer than my daughter and husband. Our 2nd peke is now 14, and she is half deaf and has cataracts. She can still smell the food though....she just can't find it. Poor baby!
    3rd peke is pure sunshine. She is the dog that has never grown up. My ADD dog. Never walks when she can run. If I have been gone for even a minute she welcomes me back with such joy...like I have been gone for days! LOL

All of the peeks match my kitchen as do the two collies that are outside except in the extreme heat and cold. All girls too.

Mtnfever, here is a Halloween costume picture for you. Poor Snickers is so embarrassed and not happy, but the costume suits her personality. Peke

• Peke
    10 years ago

Here are the two collies. They match our light oak floor.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Peke, that picture of your gorgeous collies should be a Christmas card.

• Happykate
    10 years ago

Well, not so much the kitchen ~ but I'll bet you can tell why I changed the bedroom to match the dog!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Bessie thinks I need to make up my mind. One minute I'm shooing her off the counter, the next I'm inviting her up to take her picture.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Happykate, my Snickers does that too. Props her head or chin on tables, shoes, furniture legs. Our two peeks are now banished to the floor. No more sleeping on the bed. I am surprised they haven't called DHS yet. Sleeping on the floor indeed.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

What a fun thread! I love looking at everyone's pets. Mine sort of matches the grout or a lighter spot in the tile...either way she loves the coolness of it and we often find her laying in the kitchen in the summer.

She does not match our dark hardwood floors but thankfully has poodle in her and doesn't shed much at all. :)

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

I started laughing when I heard about this thread on another post. When we were debating cabinet color, my wife said, "I know this sounds weird, but I want them the color of Bucky." My contractor indeed found it weird when we came home and she held swatches up against the dog. I think we came pretty close.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Perfect match!

Jodi, I think your Lilly was part Dachshund. I recognize the ears and front legs. Look a few posts down and you will a pic of a Dachshund. Looks really close. I bet Lilly had a long body too. Maybe mixed with a terrier. My Pekingese have long backs and short bowed front legs like Lilly.

• Eric Freedman
    10 years ago

This is a great thread!!!

I had several comments from my DIY Kitchen Reveal thread that Charles matched and to post his pic here too, lol. So here we go:

• enduring
    10 years ago

Great to see a few new post! love the dogs and the occational cats. Isn't that just like a cat, to sneak into a thread about dogs ;)

Anyway, several years ago I took this pic of Rusty (at night) to include it in the dog matching thread. This is outside our back door in the fallen black maple leaves. He is not a house dog, unless my DD visits then she sneaks him in, 'cause she LOVES him. But if he was a house dog he would look fab next to my cherry cabinets. He is the best dog. He's getting old. We got him at the shelter when he was 6months old and afraid of new things. My DD used him in obediance shows in 4H as a highschooler.

Can you see him?
    Oh, and he matches my DH's favorite outdoor rocker. He's petted many-a-dog over the years from that rocker!

• akl_vdb
    10 years ago

I love this thread!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

And one more for the collection...

• Peke
    10 years ago

Love that one. I bet he/she thought he was in heaven. A new chew and on the counter. LOL peke

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Peke, actually... our xmas picture from last year. Otto was not so happy but eventually distracted with a good bone. Loved seeing your Collies! Otto's girlfriend is a Collie who lives right across from our house; he watches out the picture window for her and lets us all know when she's outside :) (Then we let him out, then we let him in, you all know the routine). The Collie loves airplanes and is always watching for them and chasing them.

• rockybird
    10 years ago

Oops! Wrong post.

This post was edited by rockybird on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 0:45

• enduring
    10 years ago

Rockybird, I got an email notification that you posted here. The notification included all your fabulous pictures. I remembered you kitchen from another post. I think this was a great thread to post to with your matching pets. I think others would love to see.

• nicole__
    10 years ago

We love black, but the new cat is an accent color only...:0)

This post was edited by nicole__ on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 17:15

• jan1265
    9 years ago

Yes. Yes it does.

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

I haven't seen this thread in forever, and it puts a smile on my face. I miss that big, blonde fella in my first pic so very much.

jan1265, is your dog a Basenji? Even if it isn't, it is a cute (and kitchen matching) dog that looks like he put himself in Time Out!

• jan1265
    9 years ago

Yes, Sadie is a Basenji. She makes me laugh every day.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Now I miss my dog. We had a basenji named Deogi that just passed away in December....what great dogs they are.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

I just love this thread! had to come and see what was posted since I've been gone.

I do think the collies in the snow should be a Christmas card! and / or blown up a bit, framed and hung on a wall.

and the dog who seems to have himself in time-out looks like he's scared too - like he KNOWS he did something!

my dog doesn't match my kitchen but I did make sure my new floors matched her - undercoat that she leaves EVERYWHERE! that might not have been the wisest move because now she is all over the floor and I can't even see that 'she' (fur) is there! I just have to assume 'she' is and let the broom find 'her'.

so many precious fur babies! thx everyone.

• ktj459
    9 years ago

This is hilarious! The kitchen we are planning does match our dog! White cabs, black counters. In the sun his fur actually has quite a bit of brown in it, and the color of brown is almost the exact shade we will be using when we refinish the floors! And here is my handsome boy Gil (the top two keep coming out upside-down, but if you click on the photo it comes up properly)...

And the best buddies....

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Tigger matches most of my home. My daughter found him in a pet shop and said we had to get him because he did match my whole house. And you can see he helps out by dusting the tops of my cabinets.......

• alina_1
    9 years ago

I am not sure that I would want the entire kitchen in gray+white, but our cat definitely matches the accent wall and some decor elements!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Hey, how did this get past 150 posts?

My countertops are brindle, to match my dog. So is my bedspread.

• shenue
    9 years ago

I just ran across this post and had to laugh. I thought, well would anyone really do that...match their kitchen to their pet? Naaahhhhh. But then I had to laugh at myself because unintentionally....mine match! LOL I have a black and white Papillon and our appliances are...yep, you guessed it, black and white. :-) So funny.

• esm259
    9 years ago

A little bit of the cream cabinets, and most definitely the floor.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

• Jodi_SoCal
    9 years ago

I love that this post is still going.

Jodi-

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, I was really thinking navy cabinets, but not sure the pooch would cooperate.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

The puppies have been redecorating the kitchen. They wanted to soften the area with some upholstery and fabric.

They believed electrical cover plate upgrade is mandatory. We'll go metal.

They decided we needed new baseboard, too. And new paint. Design decisions are so exhausting.

• greenwich22
    9 years ago

Here are my two dogs, Jack, an Alaskan Malamute and Rocket, the honorary Malamute. They don't really match my kitchen but they like it all the same!

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

"the honorary Malamute"
    Just splattered my monitor screen!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

This thread is so worthy of a bump back up. Love it.

• donna_loomis
    6 years ago

No, but the cats blend very well with our new living room rug.

• Lisa 902
    6 years ago

Greatest. Thread. Ever.

• enduring
    6 years ago

Salti, DS 1 has two greyhounds and they do sleep like that too ! Crazy!

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It is difficult to only have one!

They call that Greyhound position, "roaching."

• pete210
    6 years ago

I'm glad I saw this thread prior to the redo. I'm sure Sasha will weigh in with her thoughts...

• StephanieM
    4 years ago
    Cute thread!
  • gr8daygw
    4 years ago

Hmmm...I would have to say yes.

dogs:

Kitchen: