Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cawaps_gw

Design Around This #23: Background for Wild Light Fixtures

cawaps
9 years ago

We used to have a recurring thread around here called Design Around This, where we would propose a design theme, and folks on the board would come up with a kitchen design (either in the form of an organized mood board or just a collection of pics of various kitchen elements) in keeping with the themes.

The last thread was more than a year ago. We're going to revive the series with the theme "Wild Light Fixtures." This thread is just to introduce the topic so that folks can discuss and share inspiration pics, and get started on designs. In about a week I will post a new thread for folks to post the actual designs. Splitting up the threads gives people time to work on designs before the topic goes "live."

If you weren't around for the earlier Design Around This threads, please check out About the Design Around This thread. It has information on how to construct a design board, and also has a list of all the past topics we did, so you can see what it is all about.

Everyone is encouraged to participate. A lot of people seem to have the impression that you have to be "talented" to do this, but most of us had never done this before attempting it on one of these threads (even if you don't do a design, we'd love to hear your comments). The how-to thread helps with technique, a little bit of reading and research helps with the topic, and learning by doing is the rest of it. When I started with these threads, I didn't even know how to post pics, but the threads were great for forcing me to climb the learning curve on pics, HTML, etc., and ultimately made me a more active participant in the boards, since I was able to give visual design feedback.

So the theme for the upcoming thread is Wild & Crazy Light Fixtures. After some debate about whether to have everyone do designs based on one fixture or pick their own, we decided to go with pick your own, but I'd like to leave it open for people to riff off other people's choices, so include a link or a stand-alone pic for your fixture.

I don't really have any pics or suggestions for what qualifies as a wild or crazy fixture. But I think that the fixture should be chosen first and should drive the design, rather than being chosen last. I'm looking forward to seeing some fixtures that are really unusual or distinctive, and really make the kitchen.

So go hunt down some light fixtures and put together a design. In a few days, I'll post the thread for the final designs. The design thread will stay open for as long as there are new designs and discussions.

Comments (28)