Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thmh_gw

Suggestions for Granite Counter Support

thmh
9 years ago

I'm purchasing a new home that has a granite island in the kitchen. I'tm a little worried that my daughter will reenact cliffhanger on it, as it looks very inviting to a small child.

I have read that any counter overhang of 11 inches should have some sort of support. This island has overhangs of 14 inches at the ends and 42 inches in the center. I see rust marks on the underside of the granite, but no evidence of previous supports on the cabinets.

Do I need to add some sort of supports or is the cabinet supports on both sides providing enough support?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

That top needs to be removed and a proper steel framework put in place immediately.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That does look scary.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Your inspector should have pointed that out to you. That could very easily kill a small child.

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

Agree it's not structurally soumd as is. Treb's recommendation is one option. Alternatively, if you're OK with adding a leg, I think you could make it structurally sound with a single leg near the apex.

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

A friend had an overhang like yours, large. It was supported with a leg. It was more of a large metal post...sounds awful, but wasn't at all

• thmh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was actually something discussed with the inspector, but the house is a foreclosure and the bank will not do anything to fix it.

I want to get it fixed correctly, just want to learn what the correct way is and then make sure the granite company does it that way!

Are there any risks associated with pulling it off? Can the entire slab break in 2?

If we go the leg route, would brackets still need to be added to the ends where there is a 14 inch overhang?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

One single leg would be an improvement but is not enough to support that overhang. You need substantial steel supports at the 14" overhangs as well.

It's a little late to engineer supports for that configuration. I would have it removed and recut to eliminate the round section and add steel supports.

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

You could add corbels or shelf brackets at the ends. Do you know any mechanical or structural engineers? Steel may be indicated here, but its not obvious that its required, and folks tend to over spec a stuff like this.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

I would temporarily stick a cabinet under there pronto the minute you own the house to avoid liability and serious injury should that counter come crashing down, if there is any delay in getting it properly supported. You can buy an old one off craigslist for that purpose.

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

Posted by GauchoGordo1993 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 10:10

"You could add corbels or shelf brackets at the ends. Do you know any mechanical or structural engineers? Steel may be indicated here, but its not obvious that its required, and folks tend to over spec a stuff like this."

Really?!! I've been a stone fabricator for 20 years. I would not rest a piece of stone like that even for a brief moment. Putting supports at the ends solves a small portion of the issue here. That still leaves 29", minimum of unsupported stone. The risk of leaving that much stone unsupported is huge due to the weight of the stone, let alone the added weight of someone leaning or sitting on it.

That is an accident waiting to happen!!

• thmh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I spoke with a granite company and provided them with some additional photos. Apparently this stone is Juparana Colombo Gold, which is a very dense stone and can allow for longer overhangs. They thought for peace of mind, I could still install a post, but because of the density of the stone and the curves it would not even be 100% necessary.
    Here is the other photo

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

That last photo scares the hell out of me. I don't care how dense it is, it's scary dangerous. Unless there is some massive steel built into the far opposite end of the counter and attached very well to the stone that cantilever looks supremely unsafe. Maybe it's the angle but a good third if not half that slab looks to be totally unsupported and with no counter balance at the opposite end. The stone snapping is certainly one concern but I'd be just as scared of the entire slab going end down off the island.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

I am a fabricator. thats a horrible install!

"which is a very dense stone and can allow for longer overhangs" - this statement is profoundly incorrect. The primary risk with an overhang is a fissure or other weakness in the overhanging stone that makes it much more susceptible to mechanical failure. The density of the stone is irrelevant. In your kitchen you could have a chunk of stone weighing in excess of 50 pounds hitting the floor.

Here's what I would do. You need support for the 14" overhangs and desperately need support for the 42" cantilevered section. I would make a 3 point support consisting of 2 corbels at the 14" overhangs and a post about 9" in from the edge centered on the arc. This approach presumes that there is existing adequate structure in the cabinet to support the corbels. If adequate structure doesn't exist and can't be added then I'd use 3 posts. Note it is important the posts be secured in place at the floor.

I believe this approach would be your cheapest option as it could be done by a cabinet shop and doesn't require messing with the granite.

until you get it fixed put a temporary 2X4 post under the arc.

• lam702
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful stone but it also scares me very much. I can't believe that would pass a home inspection like that. As others have said, it is an accident waiting to happen. Kids, pets, your feet, anything that happens to be under that stone should it come crashing down, is going to be seriously hurt. It needs to be fixed, like, yesterday!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Find a new granite company. Half or more of the weight is being supported by only two cabinets. But wait, there's more. Both of those cabinets have side toekicks (!). So one of the weight-bearing walls is unsupported below.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths