Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homemakermom

Stainless steel kitchen sink-Ticor 16 gauge vs. Kohler 18 gauge

homemakermom
14 years ago

If the choice was 16 gauge Ticor vs. 18 gauge Kohler, what would you choose and why?

Comments (11)

• Buehl
    14 years ago

It would depend on
    The configuration of the sinks [single vs double, relative sizes of bowls if double (50/50, 70/30, 60/40, etc.)]
    The size of the sinks & bowls (if double)
    The soundproofing they each have
    The price of each
    The size sink base you plan to have (related to the exterior size of the sinks)

16 gauge vs 18 gauge isn't that much of a difference...either would be fine.

• weidiii
    14 years ago

It was my understanding that 16 gauge is better

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

16 ga. is thicker, but any sink that I can get my cutting board, roaster pan, and a half-sheet pan into is significantly better than a roughly competitive sink that I can't.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Yes, 16 gauge is thicker but for a sink, 18 gauge is fine as well. I don't think I'd go thinner than 18 gauge, though.

Without more info from HomemakerMom (the OP), I don't think there's much more to be said...

I should note that in my list above, the first two items are the most important to me.

• squigs
    14 years ago

swickbb - does your sink have a mirror finish on the divide between the two sinks? I was a little concerned about how that finish would hold up.

• rosarian1
    14 years ago

Is your ticor sink the 405? Can't find it anywhere. Galaxy tools have them backordered till early Dec "IF" they arrive, could be held up in customs so he says. I am scared to take the chance and my fabricator really wants to get going. My other choices are the Kohler 3099 D sink which is quite pricey (anyone have one installed?) or an off brand from Builders spec that is basically the same size as the Ticor except overall width is a little smaller. It is from Italy and the salesgal online says people rave about the sink. Decisions, decisions............. If anyone knows of an available Ricor 405 please let me know, doesn't look like overstock has the right one.

• swickbb
    14 years ago

Now you did it, I had to go clean it! Hah! I hadn't even paid much attention to the shiny part. But now that I went to take a look at it, it was getting little water marks on it but they wiped off easily. It's actually holding up much better than the old porcelain sink I had. That thing had scratches in it the first week.

Here's the pic I took this morning. Note that I've only had it for a couple of months and I'm not a clean freak so I hardly ever scrub it. I do use the prep side for mostly letting the dishes dry. I wash them sometimes since it's only two of us.

• shannonplus2
    14 years ago

Swickbb - can you tell me what is your granite name? I can only see a little bit of it behind your sink, but it is very pretty.

Sorry to go OT.

• swickbb
    14 years ago

shannonplus2, my granite is White Wave or Piracema White depends on the yard naming. It really goes nicely with the SS sink.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I have the same sink as swickbb, and I have been very pleased with it. Yes, the mirror finish between the sinks has gotten a little bit scratched, but then so has the marble counter it's in (I can't very well complain that DH isn't careful enough or he'd stop washing the dishes for me every night;))

I have my deep cup strainer on the larger sink, since my disposal is on the prep sink side.