Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holligator_gw

Need some hood help--quick!

holligator
16 years ago

I thought I had a good plan for my vent/hood, but I am second guessing myself like crazy today. I meet with my cabinet maker tomorrow to finalize the design, so I need to hurry up and settle. The thread about the VAH Excalibur got me thinking that I will miss my little bit of cabinet space above the stove if I go with the hood arrangement I had been planning on.

Here's the original drawing from the KD.

He said that the vent would take up too much room to make those functional cabinets, so they were just going to be fake cabinet fronts. I can't imagine that there's really NO room for storage--all I keep there now is cooking oils, toothpicks, and such, but I do use the space--but he convinced me that if I wanted anything above, it had to be decorative only. Anyway, I ended up ditching the fake cabinets for this:

I'll have an stainless Aga Legacy range like this, and I do like the look of that kind of hood.

On the other hand, the storage and look of cabinets above are appealing, too. I really like the Excalibur. I think that since I have only the one small upper cabinet to the left of the stove, it looks more balanced with cabinets above the hood. I've since ditched the KD and am having my cabinets custom made, so I can have whatever I want up there. Ideas?? Advice??

Comments (12)

• Buehl
    16 years ago

I can see the merits of both designs. While I like the stand-alone hood look, I also like your original design. If you're getting custom cabinets, you should be able to (1) use a round chimney vent (I think) inside the cabinet rather than rectangular, which would use less space and (2) have the cabinet maker make it functional even if there are only 5 or 6 inches on either side of the chimney. I suspect, though, there will be more.

If YOU want the cabinet and you know you'll use it, then go for it!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

BTW...you might ask for pics on the Excalibur thread of the inside of the cabinets above the hoods

• holligator
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good idea--and if anyone reading this thread has pics of the inside of their cabinets, I'd sure appreciate them!

• imrainey
    16 years ago

Keep in mind those cabinets are fitted around the exhaust duct of the hood so there's less and less flexible storage up there than you may think. That said, I like the ductwork hidden myself, said the girl with the peninsula hood showing all its ducting...

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Hmmmm. That cabinet on the left looks a little lonely with just the hood next to it. I also like how the curves on the wood trim in your orignial design (as well as the window cornice) are cut in a way that accents those vertical side curves on the stove. It is subtle, but nice. So I think I prefer your original design. You can probably squeeze a teeny bit of storage out of the cupboard. But with the new design, there won't even be a teensy bit.

Francy

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

In reading range hood specs I'm almost certain that I've seen some vent pieces to convert between a rectangular and a round vent pipe, if that's the concern. My worry is everytime you do that sort of maneuver, you open a weak area in that join--weak to leakage, misalighment with time, whatever. If you let them deviate too much with adding bends in that vent you lose range hood power, too, if you're thinking of trying to squeak out space that way inside the cabinet.

Will those above-range cabinets be within your reach? Even with pots cooking away on the range? If so, then I would go for the cabinet there. It's pretty wide and will leave enough space, less the vent, to stash the limited things you want there.

I'm doing the open hood myself, like your second design, but for your functional purposes I'd go for the cabinet. The design is equally attractive to me, if not more so.

• suska6184
    16 years ago

Maybe you have finalized your decision, I don't know. But in case this helps, the cabinet is 30" wide and the duct is 6" in diameter. Plenty of room for what you want to store. "Decorative only?" Sounds like the cabinet guy doesn't want to be bothered with cutting into the cabinet. Get what you want. You have to live with it, he doesn't!

• holligator
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, suska6184, thank you SO much! That is even better than my current setup space-wise. I put off the decision when we met today, in hopes of getting a bit more info. I think you just sealed the deal for me with that pic.

Woohooo!! I have found my hood! :)

• suska6184
    16 years ago

Glad I could help. I have gotten so much assistance on this website, so I know how great it feels when you arrive at a decision based on info presented here. I can't even imagine what kind of kitchen I'd have ended up with if I had to do it on my own without this site-LOL!!

• chuckster_nc
    16 years ago

Exactly what manufacturer and model is that hood - or did I miss it in the postings?

Thanks

• suska6184
    16 years ago

That is a Vent A Hood product, the model is called Excalibur.

• dcwesley
    16 years ago

While I have not decided on what hood we will use, I too was wondering about this exact decision. Thank you suska6184 for the picture. It is very helpful to see there is some true storage up there.

holligator, the two sketches helped me too. I too will only have a single narrow cabinet to the left of the hood. While it is certainly personal preference, seeing the sketches together I now know I like your first way best.

I also like the tie-in to the valance over the window.