Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

My wine glasses don't fit in the cabinet stemware holder

Mom23Es
11 years ago

Has anyone else had this issue? We have Medallion cabinets, and in our wetbar area we have a built in wine bottle wine glass storage rack. We have tried our inexpensive wine and champagne glasses from Target as well as our nicer Mikasa stuff, and nothing fits. We tried a couple other random martini glasses and wedding gift presents, and they don't fit either! The slots just aren't wide enough to slide in the glasses. What good is a stemware holder if it doesn't hold any stemware?!?

Here's an older pic of our wetbar. The rack looks fine but certainly doesn't function well.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? My builder is stopping by on Tuesday to do some other things and I'd like to mention it to him.

Comments (7)

• homebound
    11 years ago

Are those rails attached separately? If so, perhaps install spacers between the rails and the wine rack.

• kompy
    11 years ago

Is that a new design wine rack offered by Medallion? Or did your installer build it with parts? I do not see a wine rack like that in Medallion's spec book. I don't have the newest one yet...backordered. So maybe it's new.

Medallion spec book says:
    Base of wine glass must not exceed 2 3/8" diameter.
    Stem of wine glass must not exceed 7/8" diameter.

If someone built it for you, maybe they didn't leave enough space between. Also, if mounted under a recessed bottom might cause a problem. I usually order with an extra stained shelf and mount it to the bottom of the cabinet, so the stemware holder is attached to a FLUSH BOTTOM (Not recessed). Or if custom cabinets, order with a flush, finished bottom. Does this make sense?

• angela12345
    11 years ago

It looks like it was made from parts. This isn't what you were asking about, but It also looks like some of the squares that the wine bottles go in are not the same size as the other squares. The bottom row and top row are noticeably smaller, unless they are not intended to be used and only the middle 2 rows are supposed to be used ?

• senator13
    11 years ago

I think there is a wine rack that looks like it is available on the Medallion website. I am guessing it meets the spects kompy has listed.

But I am also curious about the mismatched squares for the bottles. It looks a little odd, and I can't understand how it would be very functional.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Senator and Angela - we also noticed the odd half squares on the top and bottom. I don't understand it at all. I'm honestly very disappointed with this piece, but I'm not really sure what options I have. My builder's carpenter is supposed to come out tomorrow to fix the wine glass holder part, but I'm not sure theres a way to do anything about the bottle holders. It really isn't what we had in mind.

Kompy- thanks for that input. The piece came without stain, so I've had my doubts about whether this is an actual piece from Medallion or not. I'm surprised the design is so poorly thought out. :(

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"we also noticed the odd half squares on the top and bottom. I don't understand it at all."

Symmetry over functionality.

At least wine bottle have a narrower range of sizes (especially higher end wines).

You can usually remove and change the spacing of the glass holders.

Since there are no actual standards fr wine glass base and stem diameters, it is always hit or miss picking a dimension without knowing exactly what glasses will be used.

• kompy
    11 years ago

If it came unfinished, that is NOT a Medallion designed wine rack. It appears they put a lot of effort in to getting you a wine rack though....for some reason, maybe Medallion didn't offer a size that would fit in the space there, so they made one for you. I do like the squares...as opposed to the traditional diagonal diamond shaped wine rack. Looks more modern.

Here is a pic of the X style.
    Medallion offers:
    -Traditional diagonal lattice work. Available 15", 18" and 24" high. Widths include 24", 27, 30, 33 and 36.

-X-shaped wine rack. These look very nice!!!
    Sizes available:
    24x12
    30x15
    36x18
    42x21
    48x24

-Wine cubes (frameless construction)
    Widths: 36, 30, 24 (and would be 12" high)
    Holds 8 to 12 bottles depending on size.

If Medallion offers a design and size you like, consider replacing that unit...rather than live with something you don't like forever.

Below, is a pic of Medallion's Crossmate Wine Storage cabinet...has an X design.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm