Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

'Calling All Light Uppers / Dark Lowers' - Kitchen Cabinet Combos

"Gglks" gave me this idea to repost under this new subject title. She thinks she's seen dark lower and light upper cabs here before, and is trying to help me find them.

I'm looking for help and advice - any visualization - on combining cherry cabinets on the bottom and white glazed for the top.

My husband and I like both white glazed and cherry finishes, but we can't decide between the two. So, we've "sort of" decided to mix them.

However -- in all the pictures I see online (including the Finished Kitchens blog here), the "mixing" of wood finishes always seems to be between the island and the wall cabinets; not between the top and bottom cabinets.

We don't have an island.

Has anyone seen this done? Even tho it seems to me that it's "ok", I have yet to see it done anywhere. Does anyone have advice for me?

Thanks.

Miss Mary

Comments (12)

• danielle00
    15 years ago

i think it would look great. in our other kitchen (very modern), we did grey, high-gloss lowers and high-gloss white uppers-- we loved it. we ran into a few decisions where our floor-to-ceiling pantry cabinet was, but we made it white and had it next to our white, floating-glass fridge and it looked great.

i'm sure cherry and white would be fantastic-- we considered it for ours, but i'm not sure we'll put uppers in this house.

good luck w/ your decision.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Check out aktillery in the FKB...I have always loved the way
    she used light uppers on dark lowers...I'm sure you'll find more
    while your there!
    vic

• gglks
    15 years ago

hope you get some pictures!!! the person i remember was a few months ago so hopefully they still check in.....aktillery's looks wonderful though!!!

• mfrog
    15 years ago

I don't know if you would call mine dark lowers, but I had cream uppers & medium green lowers.

{{gwi:1577157}}

{{gwi:1393560}}

The rest of the photos are in the finished kitchens blog under mfrog's kitchen.
    I'm doing my new kitchen with cream upper shelves & dark green lowers. I'm just starting painting today or tomorrow.

• allison1888
    15 years ago

I'm afraid I have to differ. I like mixing between main kitchen and island, but I think mixing within top and lower looks disjointed. Maybe other pictures would change my mind, who knows?

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

I agree with Allison. Have you considered doing most of the kitchen in the dark with a lighter hutch-like unit (with a different, perhaps matching beadboard type backspash to unite them)? I love to see them mixed like that.

Hope you find some good pictures.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Someone who had dark stained lower cabs & light painted uppers posted back a few months ago. She was trying to find a close match to the mitered door style of base cabs so she could replace the painted upper cabs with stained cabs to match the base ones. As I recall, they had recently purchased the house & the cabinet builder was no longer in business, hence the search here. Obviously, she did not like the look. To be truthful, I did not care for it, either.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

allison: i never thought i'd care for it either, until i saw this pic:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I have a very small kitchen and I love having an espresso stained bottom cab for my sink cab and the rest are natural maple. If my kitchen was bigger and I had more $, I probably would have done all the bottom cabs in espresso and the uppers in white (or cream to match my granite.)

I got the inspiration from the show Room Service on TV which did a French bistro look with black lower cabs and upper cabs in white. Marble tile (24 inch) counters and back splash. It was gorgeous!

Inspiration kitchen

• sduck2
    15 years ago

This is the only picture I could find in my photobucket that shows both upper and lower. I used a cypress stain on bottom and tops are vanilla. It's when I was just finishing up the kitchen. I can't believe there was snow on the ground. UGH!!

• patrickcollin_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I love this look Im just about to do mine and will post photos when done, doing white uppers and dark lowers, black or cherry not sure yet. Floor is concrete so Im thinking black.