Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumbrm

Finished Small Kitchen - Maple with Granite

sumbrm
12 years ago

Hi! I finally got it together to post this!

House is a 1963 'faux-Colonial.' Kitchen (10ft x 11ft) had the original cabinets, counters and wall oven. Floor was a green vinyl from a 1970's update. Previous owners had removed a wall between the dining room and living room. Dining room has red oak floors finished in an oil-based poly.

Huge thanks to everyone here for posting advice and problems;I learned from all your posts. Also a shout-out to my mom, who helped make sure the Lowes designer paid attention to the design we wanted and didn't just place a random cabinet order for things that wouldn't have fit.

Cabinets-Kraftmaid Durham Maple in Praline ordered from Lowes

Floor-American Olean Highland Ridge porcelain tile in Evergreen

Stove-Kenmore Free-Standing Gas Range #7290

Backsplash-Florida Tile Livingston in Gold, 3x6

Faucet-Delta Leland in chrome

Hood-Kobe CH2230SQ

Sink-Kraus Single Bowl

Granite-Verde peacock

Windows-Marvin Casement and slider

Fridge-existing Amana French door

Dishwasher-existing Kenmore

Pendant lights-Onyx pendant by LBL Lighting

Undercabinet lights-strip LEDs

We saved money by staying within the footprint and not moving any major plumbing.

Old Kitchen

Old Kitchen

And here it is now:

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures from demo to inbetween to finished

Comments (29)

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Well, let me be the first to say WELL DONE !! What a difference a few things make. You did a great job, enjoy the fruits of your labor!

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Great combination of modern and warm & cozy. Very nicely done. Enjoy!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I love it! The cabinets are so beautiful and that big window is fabulous. Please give us some details on your Kobe hood, SS sink, and faucet and let us know how you like them. Great job!!!

• prospect711
    12 years ago

Looks marvelous! Good job!

• clvransom
    12 years ago

Nice Job!

• taggie
    12 years ago

Holy cow that looks amazing! Great choices everywhere. And great decision to replace the cooktop/oven with a range -- it looks 100 times better in that space. Nice job, and enjoy your beautiful new kitchen!

• cosmo_nj
    12 years ago

Lovely!

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Wow! Really nice. Enjoy!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Sweet!

• jtkaybean
    12 years ago

It's beautiful and your floor plan looks kind of similar to mine!
    Love how the floor ties into the color of your cabinets.

Really a lovely kitchen :-)

• jakkom
    12 years ago

I really admire how you redesigned your kitchen to produce a modest but extremely useful increase in countertop space. It's always easy to design a large kitchen, but it takes a lot of thought to do a great small kitchen design.

You did a great job, and congratulations! Enjoy the fruits of your labors, you deserve a big hand!

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

Looks great ! The window really stands out so much more. Very warm and inviting...

• dianalo
    12 years ago

From the title, I was expecting a tiny kitchen, but I'd consider this in the medium category. Of course, some kitchens, esp new builds, are larger, but this is still a nice size room.
    I love the new look and how seamless it all is. The materials all flow together very nicely. The wood on your cabs is extra pretty ;)
    I wish you many happy meals and happy memories in your new kitchen!

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Looks really great! A great improvement. Congratulations!

• rosie
    12 years ago

What a wonderful rebirth of that tired old space, Sumbrm. I could definitely live in that light, classy kitchen. The windows really pay their way, don't they? Even the "evil corner" is inviting now. :) Congrats on a really great job.

• function_first
    12 years ago

Nice job, it is a very calming space. Your materials work great together, and it looks like a great layout, too -- you have some great spaces to work in.

Thanks for sharing the extra album, it's nice to see the whole process.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

what a great kitchen! It looks so pretty, so classy, great job!

• Linda
    12 years ago

Beautifully put together! Love the woodgrain on your cabinets and how well it works with the sparkle of your countertops and stainless appliances!

• sumbrm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everybody! I really owe the kudos back to this forum and the Finished Kitchens blog. I made mistakes, but without the been-there, done- that posts that made me pay attention to details I would never have thought about, there would have been many, many more.

@dianalo - you are right, I think it is a medium kitchen now, but it was a small kitchen before. I can say that as the cook with about 3.5 linear feet of usable countertop to work with, that was broken up into a 2 ft section and a 1.5 ft section. I fit 8 people in the new space yesterday (girl scouts baking apple pies) and I couldn't believe it.

Also- re the fitting kitchen into the style of the house from other threads. The floor plan of the house is vaguely a center hall colonial, but the feel of the house is very tract-house 1960s. There is minimal molding, and it's quite open plan. Therefore I call it a "faux-colonial."

@mpagmom - I am enjoying the Kobe hood. Since we never used the fan behind the cooktop in the old kitchen, I didn't think I would really care much about a hood. But it has been so great to have a fan - at high speed it is a bit loud, but very effective. The controls are unusual, but I got the hang of them. I wish I had raised the hood 2-3 inches higher, but otherwise it's great.

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

Very nice!

I love that big window.

• elba1
    12 years ago

Looks great - more sophisticated - congrats to you!

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Wow, looks great! I know you are really enjoying cooking in this new space...nothing like a new kitchen to give us inspiration!

Question: How wide is the pantry cabinet next to the fridge, 24", or wider? Do you like the pull out shelves, or do you feel like you lose storage space because of them? I was going to ask you to post of pic of it open, but I found a pic in your photo album ;-)

• Mellie0803
    12 years ago

Very nicely done! Congrats!

• desert_gal_nv
    12 years ago

It looks just lovely. Kudos to mom for keeping the Lowes kd in line! enjoy!

• chiefy
    12 years ago

I love it! You're definitely giving me inspiration for my similar small/medium space.

Is the hallway you closed off the one that leads to your front door? If so, can you show pics from the front door side? I also have a "faux-colonial" and would love to close off the hallway, but I'm not sure how it would look.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Wow, beautiful job. The Verde Peacock really sets off your maple cabinets well. I also loved your onyx pendants...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cjc123
    12 years ago

Great job! Good thinking closing off that doorway. Looks like you have MUCH more storage. I believe I grew up with that green flooring! LOL It was a 60's dream. Enjoy!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Wow, just beautiful! So warm and inviting! Love the new cabinets and counters.

• sumbrm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@mercymygft - the pantry is only 21 inches wide, and the inside dimension of the pullout shelves are 15.5 inches in the interior. But I come from a long tradition of pantry stuffers and I make use of every possible inch! It helps that there is a cabinet above that goes all the way to the ceiling, so again I used every possible space. And since I had no pantry before, every inch is bonus space for me!

@chiefy76 - Door we closed off went into the hallway that went across the length of the house, right next to the stairs. There's now just a short blank wall on the way up the stairs. When you walk in my front door, you walk into my living room on the right, with a view of the dining room on the left and you can see into the kitchen as well. You are facing the stairs. Some others in the neighborhood have put up walls to make it more of an entry hall, but it's already quite a small house - 4 bedrooms, but only 1700 square feet, so I like it open. Except we're messy and there's no hiding it when a visitor appears at the door! LOL!

In the before pictures you can see we stuck our microwave stand in the doorway for about a year before we renovated to see how it would feel to close the door up, and we learned we could live without it.