Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
never_ending_gw

First run at floor plan...pic heavy

never_ending
13 years ago

I have been diligently reading, searching, studying, and analyzing what I need for this kitchen using GW as my guiding light. All I didn�t know, didn�t consider, and have seen created here humble me. I will admit I am a bit overwhelmed by the millions and gazillions ways cabinets can be configured for a space. I have worn myself out trying to re-configure a space that basically meets my needs but falls short on work surfaces.

I am posting 2 plans- my existing floor plan and a proposed change w/the fridge and what I plan on for the stove area. Neither DH and I are keen on moving the stove since the ductwork is already there (albeit in an ugly soffit) so I plan on removing a high pantry (24") by the stove and 2(9") base cabs and replace them with two 21"x 30"deep drawers on each side of the stove and wall cabinets to the counters.

My sink is a 48" self-rimming unit that is separate from the counters. I believe I will keep this, and as a fellow poster suggested, make that, and the window over it the focal point. My main prep most probably will be left of the window over the DW where the countertop has roughly 48" and is adjacent to the stove.

By moving the fridge over, I will lose counter space for coffee and snacks, but as the fridge sits now, up flush to the entrance, it seems huge, bulky, and overpowering. Which is more important? They both seem equally so, since the kitchen has a mish-mash of doors and entry�s, (none of which are able to be moved without major structural changes and upheaval ex. stairs, cellar, radiator and chimney). Being able to see around the fridge will add a visual continuity I think that will make this kitchen look more cohesive and less like Grand Central Station. I would like to put a shallow slim pantry along the out side of the fridge but that might not change the bulky feel though.

In addition, what I would like to achieve with this kitchen is a classic, upscale farmhouse look. I fell in love with Jenswrens wood counter. So I guess I am picturing a classic soft white shaker-type kitchen with glowing stained walnut counters.

As far as upper cabinets, I have left that area blank so I could get some opinions of what to do there. I have my own ideas but would like to get some unbiased ideas on how to configure the window wall to a more classic "built in" look for this old (c.1850) house without losing too much wall storage.

I would appreciate your fresh eyes and any pics you could throw at me. I am not looking for a major redo but feel the space could be so much more with the right plan, but then again�maybe not and it is already configured the best it can be�yikes I hope not! =D I hope you can make out the plan, they did not seem to copy well. =(

Existing-

Proposed-

Window wall-can see a tiny bit of fridge to right of window

{{gwi:1981251}}

{{gwi:1981252}}

Stove-

{{gwi:1981253}}

Comments (9)

• never_ending
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yuk! I will try to repost those floor plans later. I can barely make them out and I know the kitchen!!! =D

• never_ending
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, after many frustrating attempts, I think these are better!

Existing Layout-

*** The cut off part reads "Door to stairs" and next to that "radiator".

Proposed Change-

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

A lot of the time, it isn't workspace per se, but where the workspace is. For me, the sketch below is less drips from wet stuff going back and forth between sink and stove and starts to feel like something I'd like. You could consolidate the two ref cabinets together. It might not fit the way you work.

Six feet of duct work and a hole in the wall...

{{gwi:1981256}}

• Buehl
    13 years ago

What are the other measurements?
    Window width
    Top (north) wall?
    Doorway in top wall?
    Each wall segment on top wall?

BTW...a 33" corner susan is usually one that is 33" on one side & 36" on the other side. Your drawing makes it look like it's 33" on both sides. You may already have one (from your first plan), but how big is the doorway? Can you easily access larger items in it?

Now, I have a question for you regarding making your sink a focal point. Focal points are those places that you want to draw attention to...everyone's attention (you, family, friends, guests/visitors, etc.). Do you really want the location of dirty dishes and potential prep messes to be your focal point? Most people try to hide or at least downplay the Cleanup Zone (w/the sink), not draw attention to it.

I know it sounds great in theory to make your sink a focal point since you like it so much, but I strongly advise you to think it through...past the "first blush" of what may sound like but not actually be a good idea.

If you're someone who is very picky (obsessed) about cleanliness...never has dirty dishes or pots/pans sitting in or at the sink, always cleans the sink out immediately after using it, etc., then it might work for you. But, is everyone else in your family the same way?

I'm not saying get rid of the sink, I'm just asking that you think about the idea of making it a focal point.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I love that big sink! I vote for the pantry and fridge on the wall by themselves, with the stove on the opposite wall. This makes a BIG difference if you're draining pasta...not walking in front of doorways. Also, great place for a backsplash, behind the stove, that you'll see from the dining room! :)

• never_ending
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sadly the way the house has evolved over the years the side laundry room is the most used entrance into the house.Why would anyone want to use the nice wrap around porch entrance! ;)

Anyway two thoughts are stopping me from wanting to move the fridge to the top wall, but I have considered it a 100 times myself. 1. How interesting is a fridge in a bank of cabinets decoratively when it is the first thing that greets you? 2. DH gets a bit antsy about drilling 'another' hole in the wall when we have a perfectly good one already! But I have thought about this idea too as it would eliminate the ungainly soffit.

Placing the stove on the bottom wall would also have to run through the soffit because the exterior wall is the window wall.They built a soffit all along the top of the kitchen, except on the radiator wall. The laundry room has a bank of wall cabinets that run perpendicular the bottom wall, behind just about where the stove would be centered (sorry I probably should have shown that better). BUT I have checked that also and I may be able to exhaust the vent through the top part of that wall cabinet if it can clear the existing piping that is concealed in that corner, so maybe the whole soffit could go. So I won't say it is completely out of the question Bmorepanic. How do you plug up a wall vent?

Lavender- I never gave the backsplash a thought! That changes my impression of what would be facing me from the Dining room. The fridge is nice cause it's always clean!

The sink.... no matter what it is always going to be a constant magnet for mess =( So in that regards,I think the sink has to make a design statement but main focus-no. Would it make any sense to say that since the kitchen is a traffic pass through for both guests and even us, that I will need a little wow upon both entry into the kitchen, and exit when they leave coming back from the dining room? But again, I have no clue on this either.

Beuhl- measurements:
    # Window width-50"
    # Top (north) wall? 89"
    # Doorway in top wall? 32.5"
    # Each wall segment on top wall? At present I have no wall cabinets there, so I will be gaining in that area. I also plan on all drawers wherever possible, and pullout for trash.

You are right about the lazy susan and it spins. It will house larger nested pots, and heavy bowls on top. and potatoes and onions on bottom.

The radiator area may eventually house some sort of peninsula but at the beginning I will likely do some sort of small table with seating.

I realized last night that a solid bank of wall cabinets will not sit well with me, and much prefer to at least get away from those awful big corner cabinets that are hard to use because they sit out over the counters, and become stash bins because things keep getting pushed to the back and the top two shelves are even harder to access.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Well, with all the extra work...I'm thinking maybe you should leave the stove where it is. You could still do a beautiful backsplash and greet people with that view!

The fridge does look nice. A narrow pantry would be a good use of space.

When I looked up 'upscale farmhouse' this picture came up. Is this your kitchen style?

{{gwi:1981257}}

• never_ending
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did not think to put in inspiration pics. A few pics that have caught my are:

Sink and window-

Simple built in look-

Molding and counters-

My idea for stove area-

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

They're all nice, but I really like the windows in the first picture!

Sorry, I can't read your stove area idea too well. Is it going to look like the inspiration picture? Very pretty :)