Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Granite for outdoor kitchen

Posted by EllenMel (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 20:49

We are just finishing construction on an outdoor kitchen. The installer did not glue or seal the seams on the granite countertop (Oyster Grey). Is this typical in an outdoor setting? I did see a posting on another site that said the epoxy which is normally used in seams will break down in the sun, therefore, should not be used in an outdoor setting. We live in Michigan, so it will be exposed to extreme weather.
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Granite for outdoor kitchen

I am one step behind you, having just bought the granite for our outdoor kitchen. I will be asking my fabricator this question now. We tore out an existing outdoor kitchen and granite. Now that I think about it some of the seams were just butted together and part of the seamed/glued on bullnose had fallen off, which would happen if the epoxy/glue broke down. I attributed the problems to poor construction and 10 yrs of use.

I bought 2 slabs to make sure my 12 ft section has no seams, but I don't want any seamed edge detail falling off in a few years!

o
RE: Granite for outdoor kitchen

your seams should be epoxied. I am a fabricator in MN and we do outside kitchens all the time. If the seam is done properly (at worst the thickness of a razor blade) no appreciable amount of the epoxy is exposed to UV rays in any case.

the only qualifier I would add is that you might alternately use silicon for the seams if the construction is such that a lot of settling is expected such as a deck. If it's built on a foundation like a house then epoxy is OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here