Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Built-in fridge cab dimensions?

Posted by deedles (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 20:40

Specifically the front edge of the tall walls that surround the fridge. How wide does this have to be? Does there need to be face frame type trim on the front that is wider than the walls or can they just be the width of the walls?

Trying to fit 10# in a 5# bag, here. Every inch counts!

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Built-in fridge cab dimensions?

If you are talking about the cabinet panels they are usually 3/4 Inch wide. If you are building a surround for a full size refrigerator you will need the 30 inch deep panel. For counter depth frig order the 24 Inch deep panel.

Standard refrigerators are 36 wide. So with 2 panels on each side and the refrigerator you will need 37 1/2 inch of space for a built in frig look minimum. Your cabinet installer should be able to figure the install out for you. But you do have to plan and order the materials needed.

If it is next to the wall on either side you will want to allow for 3 - 4 inch spacer to allow for it to open enough to use it properly.

Full depth frig built in look

COUNTER DEPTH REFRIGERATOR BUILT IN LOOK

o

deedles

I would find the specs from the fridge manufacturer and work outwards. Often you can get a pdf of the true dimensions.
If someone is designing your kitchen they should have the autocad file and be able to tell you with absolute certainty.

o

What I'm trying to figure is the face of the 3/4" panel. The edge, I guess is what I mean. Can that just be covered with veneer and then finished or does it need to be finished with a wider board like a face frame? That first pic you posted, RT... it looks like the front edge of the surround walls are just the 3/4" edge, right?

o

Sorry
A typical 3/4 edge will get edgebanded or get a thin face frame.
The edge is glued to the panel. Its oversized. Then its flushed to the exact width of the plywood, sanded and finished.

o

I think it can be done many different ways space allowing. I have seen it with just the 3/4 inch panel and also with a 2 inch filler strip attached to the front edge extending past the panel on either side slightly, that gives it a bulkier look and more built in.

This is the built in look fridge my friend just had done in her kitchen. A 2 inch filler/spacer was put on the front of the 30 inch panel to "beef it up". On the wall side they have a 3 inch filler strip. Her cabinets are full overlay and the spacer does make it look like they are partial overlay. I guess the trade off for a built in look with out custom cabinetry. She also has a piece of filler under the cabinet to fill the gap above the refrigerator so when she buys anew refrigerator she can have the filler trimmed if necessary for the new refrigerator.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here