Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dilly_ny_gw

Fine tuning my design and layout

dilly_ny
12 years ago

I'm back....

Thanks to all of you who looked at the last version of my layout. After much thought, I have tweaked the design and added a banquette seating area in order have enough space for all the things I want in the room (kitchen with island, garage access, powder room, desk, love seat, eating area, closet). I will link to my previous post.

This is my revised plan:

I tried my best to draw it to scale, but it may not be exact. I believe the aisle widths are adequate, or could be if the plan was drawn 100% to scale. I have to go to my architect in a few days to incorporate these updates in my blueprint, so I appreciate all feedback and ideas to improve. Here are some questions and considerations:

1) The goal of the final design will be to have the banquette center window align with the entrance to the room (from DR) and for the angled windows to be the focal point.

1) I am considering keeping my 30" gas range because to upgrade to a 36" doesn't seem to add much benefit for the cost (please let me know if you feel its a significant difference). Would a 36" or 42" mantle hood be best above it? Would the 42" be too overwhelming for the range?

2) I would prefer the range / mantle hood to align with the island, but that doesn't seem possible. Will this look okay?

3) I am trying to somewhat enclose the corner that leads to the garage door, perhpas with an open archway, and use that area to have some hooks (and a bench if it fits). This will not be a main pathway as my garage is only 11 feet wide (not practical to park a car) yet, we feel having a door into the garage will be useful and desireable for resale.

4) Our current full depth, 2 door, fridge will be recessed a bit into the garage to align with cabinetry for beverage center. Beverage center will have a small prep sink.

5) Where do I put the microwave? I would prefer an above counter mw.

6) Would love a pantry cabinet, but seems like its not going to fit.

Thank you so much for your feedback and help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Layout - GW Thread

Comments (12)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I would switch the DW to the left of the sink. If you put the beverage center at the very end of the run next to the banquet area, you could have pantry storage next to the fridge.

The microwave could possible go in and over the counter location between the range and the wall of the garage entryway. Or, if you kept the beverage center where it was, over there.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Oh, Dilly...I like the bay window! Very pretty and lots of light. The sofa looks like a cozy place to sit, too :)

The range not lining up with the island is fine and I think a 36" hood will be a good fit, with a 30" range. 36" ranges are nice (at least they seem to be) if you do a lot of cooking and need more burners. Then a 42" hood would be a good choice.

I wish we could find another place for the coat closet, because that would make a great pantry! If you decide you don't need the desk, you could put a pantry, there, too. Of course, if the garage is being used mainly for storage...you could have a great freezer/pantry area, out there. It would be perfect for root veggies, because it would be cooler, in the winter. Maybe you could add some storage (garage side) behind the fridge/beverage area?

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Palimpest - I never thought of putting the beverage center next to the banquette. I think it would work well there. Must think about that some more - thanks for the idea!

Lavendar_lass - Coat closet must stay, unfortunately. My foyer closet is not big enough to hold coats. Also plan to keep some kids stuff, vacuum, broom, step stool and that kind of stuff in the closet. From kitchen to garage will be about 5 steps down, but I do see a fridge or freezer in there eventually. Veg too perhaps. Thanks!

Does anyone think the prep sink be more useful on the island, across from the range?

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I think Palimpsest is right, it might be better to swap the dishwasher and trash, so the trash is closer to the range.

As for the prep sink, I think it depends on what you're using it for. If you want the fridge to be with a snack/beverage area, then the prep sink and microwave make sense in that space. If you want the fridge to be with a pantry area, then the beverage center could be by the banquette and the prep sink could go on the island. The microwave could be part of the pantry or under the island. It all depends on how you want to use the space.

Actually, that big corner closet is going to be wonderful storage and I like the idea of the coat hooks. I'm just not sure if there's room for the arch, but I really like the idea :)

• User
    12 years ago

A lot will depend on what type of "mantle" hood you are planning. True mantle hoods are typically WAY "oversized" compared to the range they cover. You could have a 36" range inside a 60" alcove created by the mantle. This type of hood is best suited to a very large kitchen with tall ceilings.

{{!gwi}}

If you are simply talking about using a wood hood, then a 36" would be the minimum you'd want over a 30" range. You might want to go larger though depending on the size of your kitchen and ceiling height. The smaller your kitchen or the lower your ceilings, the trickier to pull this off it becomes. Avoiding cabinets down to the counter is one detail that will help to keep the scale in proportion. The scale is off in the first pic, making it look like an awkward afterthought in the kitchen. It's also off in the second pic because the hood doesn't have the same amount of open space around it. If you are going to create a strong focal point, you need to keep symmetry in mind. The third pic gets it right for the size of the kitchen. It's a simple symmetrical to scale design.

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Palimpest - I could switch DW and trash. I was thinking of the process as you bring the plates over from banquette, I would scrape plates into trash, rinse in sink and then load into DW. I guess either way, clean up crew will be at sink, so it will work. Also, I plan to have dishes in a base drawer cabinet or island drawer cabinet, so the swap might work well.

Lavendar_Lass - DH and I were thinking of loosing the alcove for the garage door and just having the door. Not sure, but its decision time.

Live_wire_oak - great examples, thanks. I like the last photo the best. It seems that the symmetry is most important in the upper cabinets. I'll have 8' ceilings.

Thanks!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Dilly- I like that last picture, too. Would there be enough room (especially with the dishwasher switch) to move the range over a bit and set it up, like the one in this picture? Then, you could have at least a small pantry unit on the end and still have room for the door to the garage. Maybe some hooks on the side of the pantry unit...with the proper supports. With that layout, I don't think you'd miss the alcove a bit :)

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

Just going to mention a practicality.

Normally, you can't install a ref up against a wall that extends beyond the body of the ref. Ref doors (unless you're buying a subzero) rotate on the hinges to the side of the ref. The ref would not be able to open.

You'll either need a large filler between the ref and the garage entrance wall or to move it towards the desk by at least a utility cabinet.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Bmore is right about the fridge. Eliminating that wall/alcove for the garage entry will solve the problem...Maybe put hooks on the wall behind/to the right of the door?

The dw would be more out of the work area on the other side of the sink for kids to load or unload while other kitchen tasks occur. Also, the trash in our house is most used, and in a time-sensitive way, during meal prep as I'm hurrying about, so it's helpful to have it between the main sink and cooking/prep area. Will you really stop with plates at the trash, before collecting them at the sink? We have our trash in the island across from the main sink for scraping, but when it comes to prep, I can clean off the island by swishing stuff right in.

With the fridge so far from the sink, and with the island somewhat in between, I would want a prep sink in the island. If you keep it to the corner nearest the fridge, it not only serve the stove, but can be reachable from and serve that side of the island, as well as whatever center you end up with by the fridge. You'll want to leave as much prep space, as wide as possible, near the stove on that end, which is another advantage of the corner position. It scoots your seating down a bit, and without scale it's hard to tell, but it looks like you have enough room.

Graph paper would be your friend in drawing the plan to scale. :-)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

The shape of the garage entryway, or the angle, could be altered so that in combination with a small filler the doorswing would be complete enough to be functional. The whole thing doesn't need to be eliminated, just that wall shortened and the angle made more steep.

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good points about the dw, fridge and prep sink. Rhome, I have been drawing on graph paper, but got discouraged. I also tried Live 3D software for mac, but its quite time consuming to learn and I have not yet figured out the cabinetry features. I kind of put off the exact specs until I meet with my architect next week and determine exactly how big the banquette will be as this will dictate the width of the main kitchen area and island.

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

Me again, Dilly---
    So is it the whole dining area?
    I think my architect thought it wouldn't work to have 9 feet of my DRM with a flat ceiling and then the last 7 ft cathedral up. That was only through email though. I'll have to talk to him.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?