Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Island Family Seating/Help with Kitchen & DR Layout 1950 Cape

2LittleFishies
12 years ago

We are renovating and adding 7 feet to the back of our 1950 Cape (1st floor only). Any thoughts as to an island configuration where the 4 of us can eat as a family without being in a straight line? Will what I have below work with 2 on the long end and 2 at the short end. Our kids will be 6 and 4 by the time the kitchen is finished. The island is shown as 4' wide but we can probably add a few inches. (It's actually 51" not 48" in that aisle. I SO wanted to work a banquette or breakfast nook into our plans but there's just no room for 3 eating spots. The 2 stools on the short end could just be tucked under OR we could just move two of the backed stools to the end for meals.

What are your thoughts on the appliance placement? As well as the rest of the kitchen? The desk may just be a desk top without a space for a chair as many say no one uses the desk. I somehow feel I may use it but I'll keep thinking about that.

The dining room may end up being more casual b/c I think we will end up using that table for things. (We don't want it too casual b/c it is seen when entering the home and the living room so we want it to be nice.) Our table is not overly formal so we can probably do that. We have a custom cover on it and the seat bottoms are upholstered but some of you sent cover ideas. The DR cabinetry is not worked out yet on that 16' wall. It will probably be less deep and not cover the whole wall. Any thoughts on that? Also it messes up the window looking centered. Same with a chandelier. Should the window and chandelier be centered in the open space instead of centered in the room? The table is 5-8 feet long and 41" wide. The space from the island to the buffet (if it is 24" deep) is 12'

Below shows the changes being made. Dotted Lines are existing structure that will be removed. Bold lines are being added. We may forego that 3 foot wall being added between LR and DR. We are moving our stairs to line up with the stairs that go to the 2nd floor. The first floor consists of LR, DR, Kitchen, Full Bath and Master Bedroom. 2nd floor are 2 kids rooms, playroom, and a Full Bath. We are also finishing the basement.

Comments (25)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I think it might be tight if someone is sitting at the right side of the table and someone wants to access the buffet. Is the buffet 2' deep like a standard cab? If the table is 41" wide and figure a seated person takes up roughly 2' then that would leave (if the table is centered) about 2 1/2 feet to go behind and get to the buffet. That is I think that's about right. Doable but maybe not optimal. Could you shorten the island?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The buffet is drawn as 2' deep but I was thinking we should shorten that a bit. I think 18" is narrow for a buffet? Maybe 21"? We could shorten the island 6".

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bumping

• coco4444
    12 years ago

Not sure about appliances, but kudos to you for thinking about "non-arena" type seating for family eating/conversation. Below is my inspiration photo which gave me the idea of perpendicular seating, as well as my mid-project replica. We are finding it working very well with slightly older kids; usually they sit on either side of the corner and the 2 adults are on the edges of the "L." Just quite a reach for the food, but lots of room for it!
    (PS: The "eating/table" part of my island is ~51"x48")

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

to the right of window seat I would do a diagonal hutch, then start the assembly that includes your serving area-I would shorten the whole length of this by a few feet. I think it is too much stuff lined up against the wall and you'll tire of the look. A diagonal set up in the corner would vary the visual dynamic and play off your window seat..then continue along the wall, but reduce the overall linear footage.Personally-i would put free standing furniture there.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Co-Co- Thanks! That that looks like how I have mine set up for the most part, right?

herbflavor- So, you suggest having a diagonal cabinet attached to window seat. Would the serving area be attached to that as well or leave a space?

Also, in the kitchen we are planning on off-white cabinets with a blackish island. Would it be best to continue those colors into the dining room or can I make the finishes different. The Floors are a dark stain (kitchen and DR) and the DR table is a cherry color. We also have a cherry hutch that I would need to get rid of unless I incorporate it in the plan...

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is my existing little Dining Room which is 8.5 feet wide... We will be getting rid of hutch ( unless we incorporate in somehow.)

Inspiration Pics:

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Any other ideas? : )

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I really like your inspiration pictures of the kitchen and that pendant light is beautiful! If you made a few changes, I don't see why you couldn't fit all of that into your kitchen...and I'm guessing the last picture is for the living room fireplace wall?

Have you considered putting the window seat, where you have the buffet wall (more like your inspiration picture) with a table and chairs pulled up to the window seat? Maybe a narrow, built-in china hutch at each end?

Instead of the bay window facing the back...what if you added some french doors to the backyard? Even if the deck is off the kitchen, it shouldn't be difficult to add another access to the yard and gardens. Maybe a small potager (fancy kitchen garden) could be out that way...which would go wonderfully, with your inspiration pictures :)

This would give you more room for your island and seating area. Unless you really want a wall oven, what about one or two ovens, under your cooktop...or a 48" range? This would free up that entire back wall for pantry/storage/china/etc. You could combine the desk area and buffet, in the center of the storage wall, with a small stool that slides out of the way, when the buffet is in use. Maybe add a bit more wall, from the living room...and center the opening on the french doors.

Maybe something like this... {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Oh, and that's not a bay window over the banquette...just a bigger version of the window you have over the sink, with pillows in each corner :)

Hope this give you some more ideas!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lavender- Thanks for some great ideas! I really love them and will enjoying playing with it! A few thing I had questions about-

*In order to have a double oven I need a 48" range right? You also mentioned 2 ovens under the range? Can that be done under a 36" range. I considered 48 but the space is tight especially with the hood.

*We can't put french doors b/c we'd need to have a little landing going into yard and that is a tight spot there. We have a patio/pool and by the time we do our 7' extension we can't really build out that way any further without it looking really cramped. However we could just do a window there instead of doors. The kitchen will be arched. Would that one be too or is that overkill of that concept? Also, do you think that window should be centered as it is in my original sketch or should it get moved to the left a bit and get centered with the LR/DR opening as you mentioned.

(*The inspiration pic with the fireplace was more for color and had to do with the DR buffet/hutch. As of now the LR wall is staying a plain wall.)

*The side of the house (where you put window seat) is where we have our a/c units and we are also moving the pool equipment there. Right now there is no window. We'll have to research what the view would be. However, maybe we could use a frosted or other translucent glass? I have no idea about this (different glass). I really like the idea though! I originally DID want to do that with the DR table but it got lost in the shuffle somewhere.

*Did you lengthen the refrigerator wall? If I lengthen the opposite wall maybe I'll extend both sides a foot or so.

*Would you put a hanging light over the table in DR or just use can lighting?

OK- I know that was a lot of questions! THANKS SO MUCH! ; )

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

2LittleFishies- Well, let's see...I know you can get two ovens, even in a 30" range, but one is usually really small (more for a pizza). Aga has a very nice Legacy range that is 36" and has one larger oven, a smaller convection oven and a separate broiler, but it's pretty expensive. I've posted a link, below...but here's a picture of the stainless version. I'm sure there are others, but that might be a question for another thread...maybe even post one on the Appliance forum :)
    {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans

French doors would let in a lot of light, air and views, but it can be a challenge, if there's no access, outside. What about French doors with a Juliet balcony? Usually those are popular on a second floor, but I have seen them on first floors, too. They give you a place to stand and enjoy the view, without actually walking out onto a deck or patio...and they'd look wonderful with your kitchen style! {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans

I would arch the window, over the banquette to match the window, over the sink. I think a regular glass window would be fine, but if the view is not great, you could have the window higher up on the wall...anything from a window, starting above the back pillows on the banquette...to an arched transom window.

I did lengthen the fridge wall and the back wall, too. You have plenty of room for all the storage, island and table...if you don't try to fit the buffet on that 'east' wall. The buffet and the chairs on all four sides of the table made everything feel very crowded. Moving the buffet to the back wall of the kitchen, adding the banquette and having the table with chairs on three sides...gives you much more space!

Oh, and I would DEFINITELY have a chandelier over the dining table. Something that ties in with your pendant lights would be perfect! Can lighting is okay for overall lighting, but get the pendants and chandelier on dimmer switches and don't forget under cabinet lighting for task lighting on your countertops.

Your kitchen is going to be beautiful...and look wonderful with your dining area and living area, too. I like the 'old world' style, which is elegant, but still cozy and very family friendly :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Aga Legacy 36

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Verona and possible Bertazzoni have 36" ranges with double oven. I'll have to check into them. At worst, even if I kept the dbl wall ovens, we could still have 7' of buffet in the center and 3' of pantry (& still have another 1' to play with)

I did some searches for the french doors with false and faux balconies. I guess the doors would have to open in? Thanks for giving me a direction. I wonder if there are just windows that have the look of french doors that don't open? Or french doors that aren't functioning? Would that look weird from the outside without the "balcony"?

Putting the window up higher on the banquette wall is a great idea! We were going to put a transom or oval window there anyway that was a little higher. I can't tell you how excited I am b/c I do think this layout would be less likely to feel cramped. Also, having the buffet in the kitchen area would probably be used more than tucked behind the DR Table!

I'll do some research on all this but if you think of anything else let me know
    : )

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

French doors are nice, because they give you more light and they do offer the possibility of stepping up to the space and looking outside. I like the Juliet balcony, because it reminds me of homes you see in Tuscany. There's no room for a balcony, but people still want to open up their rooms to the outside and stand there and watch the world go by :)

If you do want a wall oven, it would definitely work in the space. Maybe a broom closet, wall oven....long buffet/baking area, then the pantry (same size as broom closet and wall oven). It would also give you a place for the microwave, unless you're planning to put it in the island, by the fridge. Of course, you could incorporate a beverage fridge into the buffet area, too! I don't know how much you entertain, but it could come in handy.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a photo from the inspiration kitchen. I wonder if I should do a banquette like this?

Or buy a piece of furniture more like this?

My table has 4 legs. I wonder if they would be in the way compared to the center type.

We planned on putting the micro in the island by the cooktop b/c we may want seating on the other end. Being there is no oven to open it should work ok? And yes- a fridge in the buffet area too would be great : )

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

The microwave in the island sounds great.

I think a pedestal table works best, with a banquette, because you don't keep bumping into the legs. My mom had that set up (briefly) and changed to another table. Too difficult to get in and out of the banquette, without sliding out the table.

The banquette...I like the first picture, but I think you do need some kind of back, as in the second picture. It's safer, not to be leaning directly against the glass...but it could still be a built in. Here's a link to Dilly's banquette thread, which may give you some more ideas. Oh, and I love those chairs, in the first picture. Stylish and cushioned backs :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Dilly's banquette post

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

I think it will be difficult to get a furniture / sofa bench to work with your existing table because if the sofa is not designed for dining, the seat height will be different. Also, ready made pieces without ends are also limited in selection. Ballard Designs has furniture for banquette seating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard Designs

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I met with a KD today and went over some options. Not sure if I am using this person or not but it was good to get ideas. Went over lavender's ideas.

Another option was instead of putting the french doors to put a buffet (about 8') in that spot with cabinetry on either side with a fridge below. Having a buffet n the DR (back wall) means the kitchen buffet can be a bit smaller and we wouldn't have to extend the kitchen wall. I do want to keep the space open and also I'm concerned that that wall should line up with where the refrigerator is keeping the kitchen symmetrical. I have to check w/ the architect b/c being we are removing a load bearing wall they were putting 3-4 beams across the kitchen ceiling (north to south) only in the kitchen area.
    So, if the Refrig wall is different from the front wall it may throw that off.

The other option was keeping the table in the center of the room and like above, just putting a buffet in front of the back window (instead of original window seat) in the DR flanked by cabinetry thereby removing the issue of cramped table with cabinetry on the east wall as originally planned way above.. She did seem to agree the banquette would keep things more open and flowing. She drew up some nice things but I wasn't allowed to take them with me : (

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I think the buffet is a good idea, if you don't mind losing the light. If you have a window on the 'east' side, by the table or banquette, you'd still have a nice balance of light. Did the KD have the banquette at all? If so, what was at the top/north end of the banquette? If you don't need a wall there...or decide to go with a table and chairs...I think it could really work.

If it's easier to not add on to the living room/kitchen wall, then adjust the floor plan, for sure. It's easier to move cabinets around on paper...than change your structural support! :)

As for your table and chairs...I love the little flowers and curvy legs (totally would fit my cottage look) but it's not the black you have, in your inspiration photos. Are you going to have that wood tone anywhere else, in the kitchen/dining area? Do you have that type of wood in your living room? If not, would you want to make the island wood, rather than black?

Oh, you know, I just looked up at your second banquette picture...and that desk area looks really nice. Could you do something like that on the 'north' wall by the dining table? Maybe have dishes instead of books? You could just use one of the dining chairs, when you wanted to use it as a desk.

Although I like the look of that corner banquette...for your only dining area...I would only have the banquette on one side. It's just easier to access and no one feels 'trapped' in the corner. Hope this helps!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, the KD did put the banquette where we had put it on the 'east" wall. At the top was buffet surrounded by cabinetry. I'll post some of the ideas although my drawings stink and don't look the way she had it. Lavender, I don't understand your last sentence of your first paragraph.

Here are pics of my existing LR/DR... excuse any clutter : )

We may move the sofa loveseat to basement b/c with removing the wall we don't know where to put the loveseat. We thought we'd buy a curved sofa or sectional for the living room against the picture window. The armoire to the right of the TV is also going in the basement. I know it's cramped in that corner, but we came from a larger house and didn't want to get rid of it.

SO, there won't be much other brown wood once we get rid of DR hutch which is why we are now thinking of getting rid of DR table not only for color but b/c it has the 4 legs if we end up doing the banquette! We also have a secretary/desk that is brown with aqua (similar to the buffet by front door) but again do not have a wall for it. (Unless we extend the kitchen/LR wall by a foot or two-- then it could go past the basement door and still have room to open.

I really like that the island is black and thought I'd carry that into DR, but it IS messing up my woods! I thought they still might be able to be mixed to a certain degree. I planned to bring the black into the DR, but would it be too much to use brown in DR and only black in the kitchen? Probably so. (SIGH!)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A few more Pics:

We'd love to get to keep this desk : )

Most of this wall is coming down..

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Plan A:

Plan B:

Plan C:

Plan D:

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Hi! Sorry about the confusion...I was just wondering if you needed a wall or cabinet, at the end of the banquette. Basically Plan A or Plan B :)

I like the different plans, but I'm guessing you're moving the window to the left, where you have the buffet in the plans? It doesn't look like there's enough room for anything on the right hand side of the window, as it is now. Your current hutch seems to be blocking the window a bit, in your pictures.

Just to give you some ideas...here is my house plan, which might give you some other thoughts for the living room furniture and the banquette. If you decide not to do the banquette, the table looks good, too...but maybe a little tight. I think right now, Plan B is my favorite choice. It gives you a nice focal wall, with the buffet and hutches (will the hutches go up to 8'?) and Plan D is nice too...if you have the room to easily walk around the table and chairs, when people are sitting in them. If not, the the banquette will be much easier for entertaining. {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes- that window will be removed and the wall is getting pushed out back 7' along the whole back of house. Also, regarding the wood tone dilemmas, I was thinking I could make the buffet or some areas of DR cherry counters to match with table (if we keep it) and some of our other furniture...

I like plan B too! Yes, the cabinetry can go to 8'. C looks cramped although the way the KD had the corner drawn did look much better, buy I think it may be a bit too much?

Thanks so much for answering my posts : ) It's so great to bounce your thoughts of off someone and get ideas!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Lavender-

I'm wondering in plan B if you think I should still use a big bay window over the buffet? Or just a flat window? Over the banquette I'd probably put some type of transom window over the seat back- matching the arch window style of the kitchen.

Also, being the table/light fixture isn't in the center of the room I'm thinking I could use a smaller light over the table being it's closer to the wall? Maybe even the one I have there now but moved over? (photo posted Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 15:15) I am going to use the pendants in my inspiration photo and I think they will blend. (They do have matching fixtures in that same line but they are VERY expensive) I planned to buy a new DR light being the room will be bigger than it is now but since the banquette is on the wall I thought smaller might be better?

I bought two pendants for over the island already b/c they were being discontinued in October and I just love them! I was told by a KD that 2 would be enough with some other work lighting (cans) in kitchen as well. They are 7.5" wide and 15" long.

Have a great weekend!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath