Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmgch

how high is your highest downward opening appliance?

lmgch
9 years ago

if you have downward opening appliances (ovens) stacked, how high is the highest one?

thanks!

Comments (15)

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago

The top of our double oven is 64" off the ground.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kiko! Can I ask - is the door opening at 64" or the very top of the appliance/panel?

thanks!!

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I don't have them installed yet k1tchen rem0del to start in Jan) but my plans call for a GE Advantium to be installed above a wa11 0ven, 45" above the fl00r. That's to the bottom of the appliance, not to the bottom of an open d00r. I saw one installed an inch higher so I was able to try out whether I could reach in without burning my a*rms. It would have worked but I decided I wanted it an inch lower. I could have installed it even lower but I didn't want my wa11 0ven to be much lower than it currently is.

If you're doing a d0uble 0ven, that's likely too high because an 0ven d00r is taller so it will be a longer reach over an open 0ven d00r.

Maybe the post linked below will help you. She doesn't address height of d0uble 0ven, unfortunately. If that's what you're getting, go to appliance showrooms and test them out in addition to getting adv1ce from fellow GWers. btw, testing out showroom models of d0uble 0vens made me decide against d0uble 0vens (I'm short; in order to get the top 0ven at a workable height for me, the bottom 0ven was on the fl00r).

edited to remove those dreaded pop-up ads in my post. Grrrr, hate those things! Ads on the side are fine but I dislike having my own words used for ads. Had to do it 5 times to get rid of them all. Pity GW doesn't allow swearing because I'd be typing a long blue streak.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking ergonomics

This post was edited by lisa_a on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 15:19

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

My top double oven opens at about 41" off the floor. I wouldn't want it any higher than that.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

My advantium is higher at 51 with door open. We are taller and it works. We don't plan on selling any time soon or it would be too tall for shorter peeps

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I have double Wolf wall ovens. The top of the top oven door (not the entire oven unit with control panel) is 61.5" off the floor. Works for me, but I'm taller.

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago

The top of our double oven is 64" off the ground. That is the literal top of the ovens. The top of the upper door is 58" and the bottom of the top door is 40" above the floor. I love the height, the bottom unit makes me feel like this using it:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

The top of the door on my upper oven is 57.5" off the floor. It could easily be higher, but I keep a micro above the ovens and would not want that any higher than it is.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, guys. i'm struggling with the following:

We have a wall stack planned with a wolf 30" on bottom, a wolf 30" combi steam above and a wolf microwave at the top

and/but, i've been seriously considering swapping out the microwave with an advantium

I went to the store on Friday did a ton of measuring

I measured the height of the two Wolf ovens in the stack in the showroom - together they were 46". The Advantium measured 17", with the door opening at 12.5" from the bottom. This would work if that meant the Advantium was opening about 58.5" off the floor.

However, it seems like putting the bottom Wolf oven right at the floor is not wise. I measured the height of another nearby oven built into a range - its opening was 28" off the ground. So if we move the Wolf oven up the wall to be opening at 28", that means adding about 6"-7" to the 46" combined stack height. This would mean the Advantium would then be at about 65" where it opened.

Coincidentally, this is just about the height of the floor model in your showroom. I've attached a photo of me "reaching in."

Sooo...questions:

1. How low to the floor can the Wolf wall oven go? Seems like they are typically 17" off the ground, but can they go lower? How low is TOO low to be easily accessible/functional?

2. Do all the oven appliances stack directly one on top of the other? Is there need for space in between them?

3. How high is too high to safely access a downward opening appliance?

What are honest opinions on this - I love the idea of the function, but if it's ultimately not really usable because of the height and risk of burning ourselves, than it renders itself useless.

Height-wise my DH is fine as he's nearly 6'5". I'm 5'9". Not at all concerned about resale, but want maximum function and yes the speed oven option would be fabulous as we're already reaching a stage of life where my oldest has soccer practice on Fridays from 5-6:30pm. ugh. but if i can't use it, than it' not worth it.

Sorry for all this rambling, but appreciate your thoughts on the above.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow- that is really high. I think mine is at max for most except really tall peeps. Your DH might be OK but will be hard to reach into the hot oven for you. Remember this is not a MW and the oven gets hot.
    Here is our 2 stack. The bottom drawer is 15 inches. I wanted the lower oven as high as possible.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

There are tradeoffs, and I'm happy with how mine turned out. I'm 5'7" and don't love reaching into my upper oven (the bottom of it is 42" above the floor, the rack heights are between 47" and 59"). And I read somewhere I should use the lower one more often, anyway, because it is further from the electronics and when dirty not as obvious since it is below eye level. I like using my lower oven and I really love the extra deep drawer I had custom built below the ovens (no toe kick). It has a useful interior height of nearly 15.5" which means appliances fit nicely in it. Another deep drawer that is just as deep has dividers for things like pizza pans to sit upright.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, guys.

yes, my worry is that the oven will be hot and i could burn the bottom of my arm. hmm...

what to do

i should probably just stick with it being a MW, right?

gah. i just really would love the multi-function of a speed oven

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Have you checked the installation guides for these ovens? GE recommends 3" between oven cut-outs (2" min). That's for GE ovens, no idea if that will be the same for Wolf ovens.

GE also provides height info for mounting the Advantium over a single oven and mounting an Advantium over single oven & warming drawer but GE doesn't provide any info for mounting an Advantium over double ovens.

Even if I were 5 inches taller (in other words, your height), I wouldn't be comfortable with the Advantium opening 58.5" above the floor.

Do you really need double ovens if you get an Advantium? If the answer is "yes," do you have another option other than stacking these 3 ovens? IIRC, the Advantium has to be at least 36" above the floor but I think the Miele speed oven can be mounted below the counter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Advantium installation instructions

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hmm....arrrggghhh. i am just going to let it go. (cue the music, thanks to the endless movie loop in my house this weekend)

no, i really don't need three ovens. i just love the function each of them offers

oh well. onward and upward. going to stick with a MW over the two ovens.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I have a Wolf Steam oven & a Miele Speed Oven. I like both but much prefer the steam oven. I find the steam oven cooks things as quickly, possibly even more quickly than the speed oven. The only thing the steam oven can't do is microwave my coffee. The steam oven will be perfect to get a meal on the table quickly.