Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulflowers

New Kitchen Plans won over a Europen cruise

joyfulflowers
9 years ago

Posting picture of my present kitchen followed by plans of my new one. Feel free to comment.

Comments (39)

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture 1 of plan

Notice the stove is moved from the end and a hood for it will be in place. Also cabinets will extend to ceiling to add more storage space.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Letter A is a fireplace

Letter B is cabinet I will have refinished to match the new kitchen.

Letter C is a food cabinet

Letter D has a corner hutch I also will have refinished.

Letter E is cabinet above the fridge.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Letter F is fridge I already have which is not old

The east wall has a big bay window that allows allot of light to come in the room.

This post was edited by joyfulflowers on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 20:58

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wall opposite the kitchen sink

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Island has all draws for easy access

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So as you can see, the plan doesn't vary too much from my original kitchen. The two major changes is the cabinets going to the ceiling and having the stove moved and a stove hood put in. That's pretty much it.

The fireplace on the west wall and the bay window on the east wall dictate the plans for the most part.

This post was edited by joyfulflowers on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 21:08

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I never voted in your last post but since your health and future mobility is an issue, I was hoping you'd do the cruise! However, I think your kitchen plans look nice.

I'm not familiar with the suggestions for a kitchen that is universal accessible but you might want to do some poking around. If it may be an issue for you, I'd hate for you to have to tear out and redo your kitchen. Be especially sure you have wide clearances around your island.

I love that you have a fireplace in your kitchen! Very cool.

If I were you, I'd wait on the corner cabinet refinishing until you have the rest of the kitchen done. You might find that you don't need it and I think it might make your kitchen feel cluttered. I think it's nice to have some open space and not have something crammed into each wall space and corner.

If you need a small bit of extra storage, I'd be inclined to hang cabinets or open shelving above the food cupboard you're putting next to the fridge. Or nix the food cabinet and just do the corner cupboard.

And shop carefully and keep under budget so you can enjoy some kind of less expensive vacation this year. Even if it's just one of those short 3-4 day cruises to the Bahamas. :)

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi funky,

Thank goodness I'm not wheel chair bound, just can't walk for long distance (like a neighborhood block).

You have very good ideas and I will certainly take them into consideration. Thank you.

• User
    9 years ago

You might as well take the cruise if you don't address the deficiencies in the layout.

Instead of a single wall, create an L shape plus island. Move the sink to underneath the bay window, with the DW to the right of it. It will give you a ton more storage space, which can be drawers. .

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Where did this plan come from?

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Holly,
    I understand what you are saying and I agree your way would certainly allow more cabinet space. Heck, it would look gorgeous, but in all honesty there is just me and my husband living here and to go out that kind of expense when all I need is an updated look to my kitchen wouldn't make sense because the current layout has served us well for 36 years. Besides, since I have the money for what I intend to do, it doesn't make sense to me to create a debt and end up paying interest on it. I've always been comfortable living within my means.

I know a woman who put in a $50,000 kitchen and when her husband lost his job shortly after, they couldn't afford to make the payments from wherever they got the money for it, and they ended up with having to sell their home.

Snookums, sorry I can't tell you where the plans come from because I've chosen to keep that information confidential. I will say, I am having another person come over tomorrow and plan out the same layout, so I can compare prices.

• User
    9 years ago

You're not really addressing function here. That was the whole point of those suggesting to alter the kitchen. If anything, this plan makes the kitchen function much worse, because it reduces the space between the sink and range. Take those island cabinets and create a cabiet run along the window wall. Moving the sink thrre will be SO much more beneficial to how the kitchen works.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holly,

True there would be less counter space between the stove and sink, but I would not be losing counter space. The counter space would be moved to the end of the run which would provide a safer kitchen (which was mentioned by a previous poster in my other thread).

For me to do what you suggested, would mean added expense: ripping out my 6 foot long bay window, putting a new window, changing the outside siding of my house to accomodate the new window, ripping up my flooring, adding expense of new one, and expense in changing the plumbing and electrical as well. I could take out a loan to accomplish it all, but I am 63 years old and not willing to put myself in debt for a few more cabinets. When my husband retires in two years, for all I know we may have to relocate (like many in our neighborhood who have retired), because we live in one of the highest taxed areas in the nation. So, I'm actually looking at the bigger picture: age, finances and possible relocation. I am sure there are people who would agree with my thinking.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Take the cruise then. Other than adding a hood to the existing space, you're not really making enough changes to justify the project. Decor changes don't positively impact how the kitchen works.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Well, I would say if you don't plan on making any functional adjustments to the kitchen other than moving the stove over a bit, I would probably say just do the countertops and go on the cruise. It would be too much money for me to spend on cabinets just to keep the same, less than optimal layout. If you want an all new look, you could always paint the cabinets yourself for very little money.

ETA...I am totally with you on not going into debt for a new kitchen. My DH and I are both completely debt-averse and we don't do anything...and I do mean ANYTHING...that we can't pay for out of pocket. Sometimes that means waiting longer for what we want and we're fine with that.

This post was edited by dcward89 on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 10:23

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cabinet bases are quite damaged from a previous flood in my kitchen and the present stove location is hazardess, so I'm inclined to believe the project is justified.

note: the white bottom along the base cabinets and the island is there to cover up the damage from flood.

This post was edited by joyfulflowers on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 10:33

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

I'm used to working on a shredded shoe-string budget too, so I think I understand your reluctance to not spend more than necessary to update your kitchen. However, I think that if you are going to put any money at all into this kitchen, you really ought to consider the suggestions that Hollysprings has made for improving the functional layout of your kitchen.

If you are seriously considering selling a couple of years down the road, the house will sell much better with a nicely functioning kitchen with a 30" stove in it (is it true that you are planning to put a 20" stove as drawn in the plan above?) New cabinets with a flawed layout and apartment sized stove won't appeal to buyers. Chances are you'll want more money because you "improved" the kitchen, and they'll want to pay *less* because they will be figuring into their offer the cost of ripping out and redoing what you did to try to make it more functional.

I suggest you have a plumber in to see how much it would be to move the plumbing to under the window. It's not that far from where your plumbing is now. It may be a lot less than you think. The new cabinets would cover the flooring under the window, so I don't think there's a need to tear the flooring out if it is in good condition.

If your window is in very good shape, it can be taken out and reinstalled at a higher height. If it's getting old and is starting to deteriorate, then now is an excellent time to replace it and move it up (Buyers like new windows, too.) A good contractor can be incredibly creative in filling in the missing siding if it's a line that is no longer available.

If you are content with the kitchen the way it is, then I guess I wonder why you really want to change it. A remodel, even just replacing cabinets, is a major life interruption. Your knotty pine cabinets are lovely in their own rite. If you will only be there 2 more years, I would consider leaving it as is unless you are willing to consider addressing the layout issues.

I realize we get used to things the way they are when we live with them awhile. We've been living in our new house since the end of August. Our kitchen is stripped to the studs, including an outside wall--and it's now in the 30's outside. I have 3 outlets. I have to choose whether to use the MW or the mixer since they share the same outlet. We dish up our supper in semi-darkness, then go to the dining room to see what we got. It's "cozy" in campy sort of way, it functions. We've put up 5 bushels worth of applesauce, almost as much of peaches. 3 meals a day are made in there for a family of 9. You could say it works. But I'm still looking forward to it being finished off in a way that functions well! : )

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laughable,

Naturally I will consider all suggestions in this thread as nothing is set in stone at this point. Thanks for your input.

In fact, today I'm having another guy come over to give me an estimate on the above layout, and while he's here, I'll have him price and draw up plan like the one Holly previously mentioned. It will be interesting to see what it will cost.

This post was edited by joyfulflowers on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 11:39

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I was just wondering if it was a design type place or not. If so, I would "shop around".

If you like the cabinets, I would paint or put a stained toe kick over the repair. It doesn't need to be white. If you don't care for the knotty pine, they could be painted, along with other minimal changes, for a refreshed look if that's all you're after. Check out how others have done that, here and on the blogs. We can't see their condition from here. They look nice and solid to me, to work with for a decor update only, with the pine or paint.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cabinets are solid, but I think I have outgrown the knotty pine look. It was fine for when my children were younger because the dinks and/or scratches made by kids are not notceable. When I mentioned about having them professionally sanded and painted, my hubby said the kitchen cabinets aren't worth the cost, Then I said how about we do it then and he said it wouldn't come as good looking as a professional doing it. Actually, I have more confidence in my ability.

I just had another designer come and measure out a plan that Holly suggested and he's going to get back to me with an estimate. He was very informative about countertops in regards to quartz vs. granite. He ended up changing my thought about having quartz countertops.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Can I suggest moving the MW from above the DW and putting it undercounter on the island. Investigate MW drawers and put one of those in.

Cabinets above the DW can then hold glasses or dishes from the DW making it easier for unloading.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

You're worried about budget but then you're putting in quartz?

I think the suggestions to improve layout make a lot of sense, especially if you may sell in a few years. If I was a potential buyer, I'd rather buy a well laid-out, functional kitchen with new cabinets and laminate counters then a poorly laid-out, semi-functional kitchen with quartz.

So your options seem to be:
    1. Keep the kitchen as is and go on the cruise.
    2. Do an inexpensive cosmetic update and take a less expensive cruise.
    3. Spend $X on non-functional kitchen with quartz counters.
    4. Spend about the same $X on a functional kitchen with laminate counters.
    5. Do #4 now and then, in a few years when you determine if you're staying in the home long-term or moving, if you decide to stay, then put in the quartz counters. The small dollars spent on tearing up an inexpensive laminate won't hurt that bad at that point as you would have gotten a few good years use of the laminate and you're spreading out costs so you should be alleviating going into debt.

Did I miss an option?

1, 2 4, and 5 make sense to me. #3, your current choice, doesn't.

I'm glad folks pointed out the non-functional nature of the kitchen. I was so enamored of your fireplace that I missed that issue.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

blfenton, that would be okay to do if I was taller and didn't need a step ladder.

Okay everyone, these discussions have given me much to think about and after carefully thinking about everything, I decided to keep socking the money away so I could put a kitchen in as Holly suggested. It will probably take me two years to save the money and I wouldn't be taking that Carribean cruise until 2 years after the kitchen is in, but hopefully I'll have enough time in my life to enjoy both.

Thank you all for contibuting your suggestions and helping me come to a final decision and plan. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving

• conate
    9 years ago

Funny I thought that kitchen so gorgeous I thought the first picture WAS the "after."

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

While saving up your money to put in a good, functional kitchen have someone take a look at what is underneath the kitchen. If you have had a flood at some point, there may be structural damage that needs attention.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, you are the first one to say it is gorgeous. The vision I have for it's future will be 10x gorgeous.

Thank you.

• conate
    9 years ago

I love knotty pine, so that explains it.

I'd sand the cabinets and redo them if you really want something different.

Most modern stuff unless you go very high end is not as well made as old stuff -- simply my opinion of course.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a good thought. Fortunately, my kitchen is on a cement slab, so all I had to do was replace the flooring after the flood..

Thanks conate. I figure my kitchen window will need to be replaced eventually, so I might as well wait until I'm finacially able to do the whole kitchen.

• conate
    9 years ago

If you wanna get rid of those cabinets -- in what state do you live now ?

:)

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in New York, but won't be getting rid of them for two years when I can totally renovate.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

While looking on line, I thought this would be good to have on my east wall. I wouldn't go for a double sink, My dishwasher would go to right of bay window. Stove would go in middle of the North wall. A narrow rectangular island in middle would seat 4.

And yes, I would have to rip up my present tile kitchen when the plumbing is rearranged because kitchen is on a cement slab,.

I think Holly was talking about a design like this.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

joyfulflowers - two years will give you just the right amount of time to save, to research, to plan, to mock up floorplans, to ask questions here, to read the threads here which provide a wealth of information (read them everyday, it is amazing what you will learn). It might seem like the two years is a long time away and you might think that kitchen decisions are easy to make - but they aren't. Use the two years wisely, you will be glad you did.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, I will. I think I was looking for instant gratification, but after looking at the picture above, I feel I can wait. : )

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Good move! Hope you have a beautiful view there, but the light and openness will be so enjoyable either way.

I think you said you were older with health problems. I'd consider a low interest finance to cover the balance if you can to enjoy life now! Unless, of course, it would put you in a lot of debt without a safety net.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think at the end of two years, I'll know if I should take that route. Thanks for the idea.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Something else to consider while planning your future remodel: I love the knotty pine as well. The original kitchen in my own home had knotty pine. We know because when the previous owners did a super-ugly remodel in the 70's, they moved those knotty pine cabinets to the husband's workshop where they have been too abused to re-use and re-install. Darn it, anyway. If they were in a condition to be usable again, we would only be adding more cabinetry to them and not having to buy all new.

I suggest searching websites like Houzz for examples where people have combined knotty pine cabinets with other cabinet styles. Done well, this can look amazing.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, thanks, I'll check it out.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I just want to say, I am glad that you decided to fix the layout. I think that your cabinets are quite attractive (I like knotty pine too and have had it in my last 2 houses) but the kitchen as a whole can be so much better. I didn't think that the corner cupboard as it is placed adds much to the space, storage yes but it looks very awkward.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Raee for your input.