Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cold draft coming in through Hood Vent... any ideas why???

Posted by mamadadapaige (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 20:28

There is very cold air coming in through the hood. Is anyone aware of a fix for this? I have the GC'ers coming back on Tuesday to do a few things for me and am hoping they can address it.

It has been SO cold here in New England these last couple of weeks so this draft is very noticeable and something I want to fix ASAP.

Thank You!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cold draft coming in through Hood Vent... any ideas why???

I was going to post the exact same question. We complained about it to my GC, and they did something that made it a little better, but there is still a huge draft, and I really need to fix it as well.

o

Gosh, we have the same problem. Our range hood is on an exterior wall, and he basically drilled a big hole in the wall to the outside with a thin metal round "flap" that keeps animals from coming in. I wondered how effective this was for keeping out the cold, given the wind makes the metal piece flap sometimes. I also noticed that our dishes (in cabinets on the same wall as the range hood) feel quite cold, which has me concerned.

Anyone out there, please help!

o

Same problem here, too. I did some research online and think that I might need a damper. I'm going to call my GC about it tomorrow.

o

Yes, a backdraft damper may be exactly what's needed. I just had my hood installed last week. Afterwards, my GC said he needed to also install a springloaded backdraft damper. Not certain if such an item will be helpful to you or not but the main purpose of a backdraft damper is to keep out keeps cold air from coming into the house through the hood's ductwork when the hood is not in operation.

HTH

o

Yes, you need a damper, sorta like this.

In my pre-reno kitchen, I put a couple of layers of foil just above the fan grids to try keeping the cold out. (The fan didn't work anyway.) I would constantly hear the foil crinkling and blowing in the breeze. (shudder)

New kitchen has the exact damper above...provided by my HVAC guys who custom fabricated my duct. No cold air. Works great!

o

You need a damper. Your HVAC or roofing guys can get you the right one, or it may come with the hood.

We vented our 900 cfm hood straight up to the roof and out, no bends. They installed a cap on the top that also had a damper in it. It keeps the rainwater and critters out.

I've not had any cold air coming down into the hood. I did have some water leakage, due to an improperly sealed seal around the hood pipe, which extends about 3 feet up past the roof. In wet Seattle here, that is more of what we have to worry about than cold air, LOL.

o

Oh, we had the same problem when we installed our 1200 cfm Viking Hood! Not surprising, as a huge hole had to be knocked out of our exterior wall.

As Marthavila wrote, you need to get a backdraft damper!

This was not easy: my BF had to special order a couple of times before we got one that correctly fit. Good luck!

o

We have the Wolf hood, and I think the damper/flue mechanism and piping came with the hood, or was ordered as part of the whole package.

I had my carpenter do the installation (I GC'd the whole renovation myself), and then had the roofing company check the work when they were out to fix some other stuff up there.

o

This is a common problem with all vent holes and fireplaces and it will be solved later this century. In terms of whole-house HVAC, these holes need to be dealt with and they aren't yet. My take on the problem. (I live in a cold climate.) Houses are more and more airtight, which is Step One towards optimal insulation against extreme cold (or heat). Then each vent hole becomes comparatively more of a problem. I think each opening should have two flappers, one at each end of the hole (i.e. outdoors and indoors). A single flapper is extremely leaky when air pressure ("wind") is pushing against it. Two thingies makes for more reasonable air pressure on the second one, less leak. Sounds like basic common sense to me, but no-one has ever integrated it into their product design or "standard" construction process. It's a recurring need in millions of buildings every year and everybody always makes it look like "'golly, we just noticed this." In buildings big and small.

So you are not alone.

-david

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here