Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental White granite

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 20:28

I went to the granite yard last Friday. I found Ornamental White that I like. I wanted White River (or River White, I can't ever keep it straight) but all of the slabs available to me had huge yukky rust stains. I looked on the Table of Most Popular Granites to see what I could find about Ornamental White. It is not listed. It is mostly white with smudges of gray and pale green, and garnet dots and black veins.

When I look for it on houzz, I get Giallo Ornamental.

Does anyone know anything about this stone?

Here is a link that might be useful: Table of Most Popular Granites

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental White granite

Sorry, I have not heard of this stone, but it struck me as very similar to the one I picked called Viscon(t) White. Similar long flow pattern and coloring minus the green and garnet dots. I'm sure some of the rock experts here can help you identify it's properties. Very pretty!

o

Rock experts, where are you? Am I buying a giallo that is white instead of gold? That is the only stone I can find with "ornamental" attached.

Is it soft? Does it stain easily?

o

I'd guess it's not soft since it's actually a granite (well, it's a granulite really, but close enough) and not a marble. Does it stain? Good question. Can you get a sample to test?

I can't comment on the trade names, since I'm only conversant in the geologic names for rocks. All the more reason to get an actual piece and put it through some tests. It's a pretty one though! Love the garnets.

o

Apparently I'm having a less than TKO-moment. I know to test granite for staining and etching but somehow I totally forgot on this piece. Thank you, Karin_mt, for bringing me back to reality!

I read somewhere online that honing makes granite more absorbent. Is that true?

My fabricator does a technique he calls "brushing." It looks about half way between polished and honed. Wonder how it would look on this piece? Guess I need to get more samples and test that too.

o

It looks like Kashmir white to me.

o

Yes, it does look like Kashmir - a little. The sample of Kashmir I have does not have any black in it though.

(Speaking of samples, my car trunk is beginning to look like a stone yard! I have refused to take samples of things I didn't really like, gently, I hope. Nevertheless I have a bunch. I've tried off-loading them onto the cabinet guy to have in his shop as "examples." I don't know what else to do with them!!! Ideas?)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here