Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help - oil burn on stove

Posted by Morgan_13 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 20:28

It's a long story, but I'm worried I just destroyed my grandmother's white, perfectly clean glass-top stove!

I was cooking a burger in a little olive oil and noticed after that there is an oil stain/burn on the back panel of the stove where the heat controls are. That part is white so it's really obvious. Further up under the panel it looks burnt.

I tried water and soap. I tried some of the stove polish cleaner. That made it chunky and sticky.

Can anyone help? Is the stove ruined or is this normal? I don't usually cook on a stove like this. Is there a way to clean it asap? Thank you!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help - oil burn on stove

There is special glass top stove cleaner. It's a cream. Look around in her cleaning supplies, as I bet she has some.

Also, a paste of baking soda and small amount of water left on the spot often helps (see the box).

Maybe you hadn't noticed the panel area before and it's always been there.

This is probably fixable. Don't get too upset.

o

I've. Had success using Barkeepers Freind powser getting burnt oil off porcelain. Make a paste- spread, let sit for 15-20 clean off. Gently-repeat a few times. May work.

o

Be very careful with anything abrasive ... you don't want to make it worse.

o

Barkeepers is not abrasive- it is an oxy cleaner

o

Oxalic acid. It dulled (very fine scratches) the surface of my quartz countertop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here